KSweeley

Baltimore Sun shutting City Paper down after 40 years

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Link: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2017/07/07/baltimore-sun-shutting-city-paper-down-after-40.html

Such awful news :( Baltimore is losing a long-time newspaper:

July 7, 2017

The Baltimore City Paper — the free alternative weekly that has provided news, music and arts information for 40 years — will be closed this year by its owner, the Baltimore Sun Media Group, the City Paper reported on its website Friday afternoon.

Baltimore Sun Media Group spokeswoman Renee Mutchnik cited declining ad revenue at Baltimore City Paper as the reason, a challenge faced by other alternative weeklies across the nation. The City Paper in Philadelphia was closed by its owner, Broad Street Media Group, in 2015.

“It became clear to us this past fall that we would cease publishing City Paper sometime in 2017," Mutchnik said in a statement to City Paper. "Details about the closing date are still being discussed. This is a difficult decision and we are mindful of how it affects our employees, the readers and advertisers.”

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

That's a shame. Though, I thought this would happen when the Sun purchased it....surprised it took 3 yrs. 

Maybe someone else will buy it. 

Sorry to hear that.

Far out. :(

I remember the City Paper from my college days.  Very sad indeed. 

Hmmmm, this seems strange if not outright suspicious, City Paper's editorial staff just became unionized in June 2017 and now Baltimore Sun is shutting down the City Paper: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2017/06/22/baltimore-city-paper-editorial-staff-joins-union.html

Baltimore City Paper editorial staff joins union

Jun 22, 2017, 2:14pm EDT

The Baltimore City Paper's editorial staff has joined the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, the union that represents employees at the Baltimore Sun and the Washington Post.

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

That's a shame. Though, I thought this would happen when the Sun purchased it....surprised it took 3 yrs. 

Maybe someone else will buy it. 

They bought it to shut it down.  Scumbags 

13 minutes ago, demopublican said:

They bought it to shut it down.  Scumbags 

Hey....Its nutin pooisonal......it's just beenesss...hey you's understand...????

Sarcasim!!!!!

It's downfall was the word FREE in the banner. Fun paper to read. RIP

City Paper was excellent and has long sustained smart, locally-focused journalism.

It is a miracle it lasted as long as it did. 

Unfortunately, people no longer need to pick up printed paper to find out what's going on for the weekend-- and no need to even mention classifieds after craigslist.

Weekly papers are going down in cities all over the US. 

12 hours ago, dogstarman said:

City Paper was excellent and has long sustained smart, locally-focused journalism.

Unfortunately, people no longer need to pick up printed paper to find out what's going on for the weekend-- and no need to even mention classifieds after craigslist.

Even dailies are pretty much obsolete. I haven't picked up a Sun in years.  

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Even dailies are pretty much obsolete. I haven't picked up a Sun in years.  

Well I still have it delivered. But pretty much only for the coupons on Wed and Sunday.

I tried wrapping some fresh fish I caught in the Sun paper....they jumped out....because it stunk so bad. :D

Posted (edited)

The City Paper routinely asked the questions of Baltimore's elected officials that the Baltimore Sun never thought to or simply didn't care to ask.

It's unfortunate the CP was bought by the Sun a few years ago, because the writing was on the wall the instant the Sun bought it. 

It seems that a venture company that geared the type of journalism it offers could've picked it up and built an app for mobile devices. Charge people $1 a month via iTunes. Android and iOS compatible, accessible via smartphone or tablet. (This'd be a template for many City Paper-type newspapers looking to digitize content)..

Ugh. I have the ideas. Just no $ to implement them beyond my own envisioned retirement. 

Edited by EnochRoot

17 hours ago, dogstarman said:

Yes, but like its mother company, City Paper is on-line as well.

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Yes, but like its mother company, City Paper is on-line as well.

Not the same thing as having a dedicated app for the phone and/or tablet. The app could be configured to use the OS's notification system to alert the user when the new copy's ready. 

Ugh. 

Years ago i would pick up a copy of  City Paper for the comics and the weekly puzzle, and incidentally found CP to be a rather good local weekly paper, addressing issues that The Sun wouldn't dare to touch.

RIP,  City Paper. 

This is a real blow to Baltimore journalism, leaving us to the mercies of The Daily Embarrassment without anyone to say it nay!!

On 7/7/2017 at 9:37 PM, dogstarman said:

there's that word "smart":rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

i was in the penny black this weekend and picked a copy--couldn't help notice how slender it was

going to miss best of issue and murder ink, brandon's rants not so much

Edited by boink

The best of issue is what I'll miss about.A lot of Baltimore businesses got me as a first time customer because of it. 

37 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

The best of issue is what I'll miss about.A lot of Baltimore businesses got me as a first time customer because of it. 

Agreed, always checked out that issue .....

Had a few journalist friends that did stints there, they did top notch work but real investigative reporting is on the decline everywhere .....

Remember when I was a youngster we always got a kick reading the personals in there and that was a big source of their income .....

10 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Baltimore magazine does an annual Best of Baltimore issue.