KSweeley

Baltimore Sun shutting City Paper down after 40 years

50 posts in this topic

Where will I get my ultra-bitter movie reviews?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VOSA said:

Baltimore magazine does an annual Best of Baltimore issue.

I'll have to check that out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VOSA said:

Baltimore magazine does an annual Best of Baltimore issue.

That's a lot more mainstream with some chains winning in the past .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that. I interned there in the early 00's. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The City paper was no great shakes, but it was something like a competing viewpoint on Baltimore. The tragedy is that people will seemingly just not pay to support journalism. Baltimore used to be a two newspaper town with a morning edition and an afternoon edition. And those papers would compete for readers. Now we do not even have one locally owned paper. It is sad. 

Even the local editions and the Patuxent papers have been bought and homogonized by the Sun. IF people still really believe that bloggers will fill the gap of professional journalism watch what comes down the pike. More corruption, lower election turnouts, more civic disengagement. Sigh, it is not the CP's fault, but I don't see any way forward unless people decide that the free press, can not exist for free. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sun could benefit from some of the writers and features from the City Paper and replace some of the people that should have gotten rid of long ago, like Rodricks.  Seems like all he does is recycle variations of the same stories year-to-year.

"Nobody asked me, but..."

"If only Baltimore could stop all the murders."

"Save the Arabbers."

"Something has to be done about the drug problem."

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ode2Joy said:

The Sun could benefit from some of the writers and features from the City Paper and replace some of the people that should have gotten rid of long ago, like Rodricks.  Seems like all he does is recycle variations of the same stories year-to-year.

"Nobody asked me, but..."

"If only Baltimore could stop all the murders."

"Save the Arabbers."

"Something has to be done about the drug problem."

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You forgot

The one about the ex-con he is either doing really well in spite of all the obstacles. Or the ex-con who is back in prison in spite of all the obstacles being removed.

How his world was turned upside down because he had to learn a new bus schedule

How the city government really needs to get its act together, together, together, together..............

MOM didn't make any mistakes....mistakes.....mistakes.....:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Guido2 said:

You forgot

The one about the ex-con he is either doing really well in spite of all the obstacles. Or the ex-con who is back in prison in spite of all the obstacles being removed.

How his world was turned upside down because he had to learn a new bus schedule

How the city government really needs to get its act together, together, together, together..............

MOM didn't make any mistakes....mistakes.....mistakes.....:lol:

Bocce Tournaments...   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Bocce Tournaments...   :)

Very good ....forgot that one. 

Was his ongoing 'just say'n' mentioned previously ? :D

Ohhh just remembered another one.....

The let me tell you about this old family (fill in here) business.................he seems to prefer bakeries for some reason? Funny thing it always seems to be is that he writes all this wonderful stuff....and really wants you to go an patronize the place. And guess what....it closed a month ago. Is it just me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Baltimore Brew reports that City Paper employees were informed about the impending closure when they were also informed that their petition to be unionized would be recognized: https://baltimorebrew.com/2017/07/11/as-city-paper-staff-unionizes-baltimore-sun-announces-plans-to-shutter-them/

Quote

But staffers believe the pivotal point came a lot more recently than that:

They say they were informed they were being shut down in a meeting a month ago – the same meeting where they were told the company would recognize their petition to join the Newspaper Guild.

They killed us because we unionized,” said a staffer, one of several who declined to be named as they discussed the shut-down decision revealed to the public in a late Friday news dump.

 

 

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, KSweeley said:

Baltimore Brew reports that City Paper employees were informed about the impending closure when they were also informed that their petition to be unionized would be recognized: https://baltimorebrew.com/2017/07/11/as-city-paper-staff-unionizes-baltimore-sun-announces-plans-to-shutter-them/

 

 

Sorry to say but .... it's just bidness.

Like other corporations nowadays it is the bottom line. It is no longer about making a quality product ...rather....it is about the CEO...making his/her quarterly numbers (generally the easiest way is cutting cost is employees NOT improving the product, sales or circulation...that is to much like work).... so they get their nice fat bonus check.

I dare anyone to say it isn't so 90% of the time. 

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What chance The Sun will pick up the Dan Savage column from CP?

Think they could handle it?

Savage would certainly be more entertaining that Witcover, Bishop or Shipp et al.. More interesting  More credible, too.

You'd miss Rodricks if he wasn't there to prick the municipal conscience, again and again -- and again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, I guess Craigs list took over the sex ads industry so less of a niche for City Paper now, but I know, Ken, I shouldn't care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, retired said:

What chance The Sun will pick up the Dan Savage column from CP?

Think they could handle it?

Savage would certainly be more entertaining that Witcover, Bishop or Shipp et al.. More interesting  More credible, too.

You'd miss Rodricks if he wasn't there to prick the municipal conscience, again and again -- and again.

"Rodricks" and "prick;"  Two words that are pure poetry when used in the same sentence.  I'm gonna be chuckling over this all night.

Thank you so very much, retired.  :lol:B):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Saticon3 said:

well, I guess Craigs list took over the sex ads industry so less of a niche for City Paper now, but I know, Ken, I shouldn't care

Care about what you want. No sweat off my nose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too sure if this has anything to do with anything, but ...

Quote

 

State records show the building on North Calvert Street leased by The Baltimore Sun and a neighboring parking garage were sold to Atapco Properties for more than $15 million.

Chicago-based Tribune Media sold the properties to Atapco, a Baltimore-based real estate investment and management firm, in May, The Sun had reported, but at the time the buyer did not disclose the price.

The building at 401 N. Calvert St. and 501 N. Calvert St. sold for more than $10 million, while the garage at 601 N. Calvert sold for $5.5 million, according to State Department of Assessments and Taxation. The two-block property encompasses more than 435,000 square feet on 5 1/2 acres. Much of the space is unoccupied, including a cavernous area that once housed the newspaper printing presses.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/the-news-hole/bcpnews-city-paper-s-final-issue-will-be-nov-1-20170929-story.html

Quote

 

The very last issue of City Paper will hit yellow boxes and storefronts on Wednesday, Nov. 1.

Baltimore Sun Media Group announced plans to close City Paper back in July. At the time, details about the end date were still being discussed. 

A special issue is in the works, with the current staff reflecting on the end of the 40-year-old alt-weekly, essays from several of the editors who ran the paper throughout its history, and some archival content.

 

Sad to see it go. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to have to makea special trip into the city to get a copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm going to have to makea special trip into the city to get a copy.

Baltimore County Public Libraries have them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I found the City Paper to be a lot far left of my personal beliefs I did enjoy it.  Shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the next step for The Sun to go tabloid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, retired said:

Is the next step for The Sun to go tabloid?

It's doubtful, but perhaps someday Baltimore will have a real newspaper once again.   We can only hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't read it in a good while. But it had: Interesting political cartoons. Dan Savage's column. Lots of restaurant reviews. "Best of Baltimore" splurges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, retired said:

Is the next step for The Sun to go tabloid?

It already is....most of the 'local' news can be put on one page or two if you include sports. The remainder is cut and paste from newswires and such and ads. Really not much more.

I get a bit ticked off.....when ....on the rare occassion when something special is going to happening or a festival and such. And they do a nice write up....with the 'oh btw it ended yesterday'. Thanks for nothing. ;)

I look at the weekend section religiously....see nothing....then....4 days later....this special something is reported as a 'gee wizz how nice'.

One of many reasons why I cancelled my subscription.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Baltimore County Public Libraries have them. 

I'll have to check that out. It's been awhile since I've had a reason to go to a library. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now