Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Heisenberg

Majority of Republicans now say colleges are bad for America

373 posts in this topic

The biggest threat to continuing Republican dominance is the development of critical thinking skills and the acquisition of knowledge about how the world works.

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Sad state of affairs

This strategy will kill the GOP's appeal to many Asian-Americans. I know several Asian Americans who are quite conservative but can't stand the GOP's anti-intellectualism.  It totally soured them on a party they otherwise would support.

2 hours ago, mcorioles said:

Indoctrination is.

The education system has definitely taken a hard turn left. For years now every time i hear somebody say that they have a degree, I'll say "Wow! Where did you get your indoctrination?" And 9 out of 10 times they will say which college they got their degree! lol:D

We have done our best to turn college into just another government program.  As a result, after being mal-educated in public schools, kids are encouraged to mortgage their lives for more of the same.  And to achieve the same level of literacy as a HS graduate of the 19th century, they need it.  But all that government assistance doesn't benefit students, it benefits colleges. 

As a faculty member, I was on the committee that set tuition for a small private college each year.  The methodology goes like this.  Add up the max amount anyone can borrow in student loans and receive in Pell Grants.  Then estimate what rich parents will contribute to an exclusive education, and that is your tuition.  When accepting students you grant "scholarships" to the students of poorer parents who cannot  pay the full price but never below what the government will pay.  If you think it is different elsewhere, you are mistaken.  Every college application is mainly an inquisition into what government aid you are eligible for.  I liken it to a fictional government program to subsidize cars.  If the government promised to pay the first $30000 of your new car every 5 years, would there be a used car available for less that $30k?  Yugos would be $31k.  It is the same with education.  The more it is subsidized the more it is abused and considered a right and the less accountability there is to those of us paying the bills.  From the otherside, as long as you can enlist students whose parents are willing donors, you serve their kids cotton candy rather than jerky. 

I have become a huge fan of community colleges as a result of teaching at a 4-year college.  Not that we failed to provide quality education, just the cost,  But the big universities have classes that number in the hundreds.  Good luck asking questions.  I can not disparage the ideal to go away from home the first time, join a fraternity or sorority and spend four years indulging in nothing but thought and alcohol.  It is an idyllic reality.  Until the bill arrives. 

11 hours ago, mcorioles said:

Indoctrination is.

9 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

The education system has definitely taken a hard turn left. For years now every time i hear somebody say that they have a degree, I'll say "Wow! Where did you get your indoctrination?" And 9 out of 10 times they will say which college they got their degree! lol:D

Please explain how colleges are indoctrinating people.  I must have missed those courses while I got my degrees.

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

We have done our best to turn college into just another government program.  As a result, after being mal-educated in public schools, kids are encouraged to mortgage their lives for more of the same.  And to achieve the same level of literacy as a HS graduate of the 19th century, they need it.  But all that government assistance doesn't benefit students, it benefits colleges. 

As a faculty member, I was on the committee that set tuition for a small private college each year.  The methodology goes like this.  Add up the max amount anyone can borrow in student loans and receive in Pell Grants.  Then estimate what rich parents will contribute to an exclusive education, and that is your tuition.  When accepting students you grant "scholarships" to the students of poorer parents who cannot  pay the full price but never below what the government will pay.  If you think it is different elsewhere, you are mistaken.  Every college application is mainly an inquisition into what government aid you are eligible for.  I liken it to a fictional government program to subsidize cars.  If the government promised to pay the first $30000 of your new car every 5 years, would there be a used car available for less that $30k?  Yugos would be $31k.  It is the same with education.  The more it is subsidized the more it is abused and considered a right and the less accountability there is to those of us paying the bills.  From the otherside, as long as you can enlist students whose parents are willing donors, you serve their kids cotton candy rather than jerky. 

I have become a huge fan of community colleges as a result of teaching at a 4-year college.  Not that we failed to provide quality education, just the cost,  But the big universities have classes that number in the hundreds.  Good luck asking questions.  I can not disparage the ideal to go away from home the first time, join a fraternity or sorority and spend four years indulging in nothing but thought and alcohol.  It is an idyllic reality.  Until the bill arrives. 

Until the feel goods come along and want to forgive the debt ........

1 minute ago, ivanbalt said:

Please explain how colleges are indoctrinating people.  I must have missed those courses while I got my degrees.

How long ago did you graduate ..???

1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

Until the feel goods come along and want to forgive the debt ........

Indeed.  Bailouts are only for rich bankers that helped tank the economy, not loser college students.

1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

How long ago did you graduate ..???

2002 and 2009.  Did Obama add all the leftist courses after I finished?

Indeed.  Bailouts are only for rich bankers that helped tank the economy, not loser college students.

Guess you didn't support the former President .........

2002 and 2009.  Did Obama add all the leftist courses after I finished?

Didn't know he did. Were you into the social classes ..???

15 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Guess you didn't support the former President .........

I didn't support protecting the oligarchs.  Or failing to prosecute any of the major Wall St players.

13 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Didn't know he did. Were you into the social classes ..???

I was into the General requirements and major-specific classes for my degree, like most students.

38 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Depends on how old you are.

If colleges indoctrinate people, it certainly doesn't last very long, as the electorate has been evenly divided for quite some time.

This is just an example of the right's hatred for any ideas that do not conform to their own.

It goes along with Republican senators saying that if Hillary was elected, they would never confirm any judge she nominated because any judicial philosophy that doesn't conform to theirs is illegitimate.

If the media errs in a story they don't approve of, they are liars. If a newspaper goes out of business, they cheer as though an idea is only as good as the money they make. Although, if a leftist college class is popular and generates revenue for a college, they call it indoctrination.

Its intolerance on their part.

2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

If colleges indoctrinate people, it certainly doesn't last very long, as the electorate has been evenly divided for quite some time.

This is just an example of the right's hatred for any ideas that do not conform to their own.

It goes along with Republican senators saying that if Hillary was elected, they would never confirm any judge she nominated because any judicial philosophy that doesn't conform to theirs is illegitimate.

If the media errs in a story they don't approve of, they are liars. If a newspaper goes out of business, they cheer as though an idea is only as good as the money they make. Although, if a leftist college class is popular and generates revenue for a college, they call it indoctrination.

Its intolerance on their part.

LOL, ok

12 hours ago, mcorioles said:

Indoctrination is.

See this is the problem with many on the right.  You've been duped into believing that college kids are being "indoctrinated" by liberals when it's simply flat out not true.

Just now, banner1124 said:

See this is the problem with many on the right.  You've been duped into believing that college kids are being "indoctrinated" by liberals when it's simply flat out not true.

Ok, And be seen it and read about it.

Are you going to sit here and tell me you've never seen articles on teachers flunking a paper or being told to write a paper on various topics that are actually inflammatory?

1 minute ago, mcorioles said:

Are you going to sit here and tell me you've never seen articles on teachers flunking a paper or being told to write a paper on various topics that are actually inflammatory?

So the rare idiot teacher that oversteps their job = millions and millions of college students being indoctrinated?  :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Link please.

2 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

So the rare idiot teacher that oversteps their job = millions and millions of college students being indoctrinated?  :rolleyes:

Pathetic,isn't it?