Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

No FBI Headquarters in Maryland: Trump administration cancels plan to build new FBI headquarters to replace the agency's crumbling building in downtown D.C.

36 posts in this topic

Mon., Jul. 10, 2017 6:38 p.m.

Trump administration cancels plan to build new FBI headquarters to replace the agency's crumbling building in downtown D.C.

The decision to pull out of the plan comes after the FBI searched for more than a decade to find a location in the Washington suburbs and follows years of largely failed attempts to persuade Congress to fully back the effort. The plan called for trading away the J. Edgar Hoover Building to a real estate developer and putting up nearly $2 billion in taxpayer funds to cover the remaining cost. The government is expected to announce the cancellation Tuesday, officials familiar with the decision said.

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/2017/07/10/e25c1080-65af-11e7-9928-22d00a47778f_story.html?wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-local%2Bnational&wpmk=1

Not just Maryland....Virginia also.

Our tax dollars at work.

Maybe it is Trumps master plan.....he can't 'fire' the FBI so he will let the building crumble around them....:lol:

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Not just Maryland....Virginia also.

Our tax dollars at work.

Maybe it is Trumps master plan.....he can't 'fire' the FBI so he will let the building crumble around them....:lol:

:D

Doesn't anyone think it's kind of sad that the J. Edgar Hoover Building, which was built in 1975, is "crumbling" and "obsolete" after just 42 years? It seems to be an example of our "throw away" mentality in this country. Was it built so much on the cheap back then that it is now worthy of demolition? Or perhaps was it just poorly maintained over the years. It would also seem that it was built with little foresight in terms of future needs of the FBI, since it has been reported that there are lots of FBI employees scattered around DC in rented spaces. And for years congress (under the leadership of both parties) has refused to fully fund the replacement plan, which suggests skepticism from both sides of the aisle over the viability of the proposed plan. And then there is the whole question of priorities - spending at least $2 billion that we don't have should give everyone some pause. Quite frankly I am surprised that it took this long for the plan to be axed. And what is really irritating is the way that Maryland and Virginia have been drooling over the prospect of "winning" the site and the 11,000 jobs that come with it - since that means those 11,000 jobs would be leaving DC (and it is a safe bet that many of the people who fill those 11,000 jobs today already live in the DC suburbs of Maryland and Virginia). The whole thing has been nothing but a political boondoggle from the start. 

When I go to Europe and see buildings (both public and private) that are still in use after (in many cases) several centuries, having been updated and modernized as needed, and then I look at the way we tend to build things in a half-arsed way and then tear them down after just a few decades (office buildings, shopping centers, apartment buldings, as well as public/government buildings) for something shiney and new, all I see in our methods is waste. 

21 minutes ago, Papi said:

Doesn't anyone think it's kind of sad that the J. Edgar Hoover Building, which was built in 1975, is "crumbling" and "obsolete" after just 42 years? It seems to be an example of our "throw away" mentality in this country. Was it built so much on the cheap back then that it is now worthy of demolition? Or perhaps was it just poorly maintained over the years. It would also seem that it was built with little foresight in terms of future needs of the FBI, since it has been reported that there are lots of FBI employees scattered around DC in rented spaces. And for years congress (under the leadership of both parties) has refused to fully fund the replacement plan, which suggests skepticism from both sides of the aisle over the viability of the proposed plan. And then there is the whole question of priorities - spending at least $2 billion that we don't have should give everyone some pause. Quite frankly I am surprised that it took this long for the plan to be axed. And what is really irritating is the way that Maryland and Virginia have been drooling over the prospect of "winning" the site and the 11,000 jobs that come with it - since that means those 11,000 jobs would be leaving DC (and it is a safe bet that many of the people who fill those 11,000 jobs today already live in the DC suburbs of Maryland and Virginia). The whole thing has been nothing but a political boondoggle from the start. 

When I go to Europe and see buildings (both public and private) that are still in use after (in many cases) several centuries, having been updated and modernized as needed, and then I look at the way we tend to build things in a half-arsed way and then tear them down after just a few decades (office buildings, shopping centers, apartment buldings, as well as public/government buildings) for something shiney and new, all I see in our methods is waste. 

If it was a stadium, it would have been "crumbling" and "obsolete" after 20 years so 42 is pretty good.  ;)

And I agree on everything you're saying.  So much waste in this country.

Building is not that old, make do .....

Pg and Monty counties should have been disqualified anyway for their sanctuary nonsense.....

55 minutes ago, Papi said:

While I agree with most all you say particularly the 11,000 jobs...they just 'moved'.....but keep in mind that it would have been 11,000 in potential tax dollars in various ways...like sales tax at Taco bell.

I think the US is doing better at repurposing old buildings. But you are correct...a lot of stuff put up in the 70's was garbage. I went to Glassboro State and they built a new student dorm ... the Triad....all prefab....the latest in design and modular fabrication. After it was slapped together parts of it had 6 inch gaps between the walls and the floor. You could be on the 6th floor and drop a beer bottle down the separation and it wouldn't stop till it hit the cellar. I know.... I did it.

Now back to repurposing of old buildings in the US. Now I have no clue about the strictness or not in of laws regarding refurbishing of old buildings in Europe.

But I do know that in the US....in many cases it is way cheaper to knock something down and build new....than it is to gut an old building and bring it up to spec. Now that is not saying it can't be done....it is done all the time with smaller buildings. I am sure the JEH building is loaded with asbestos and other nasty things...making it cost prohibitive to bring it in line with the needs of the FBI

This is a big win for activist AG Brian Frosh!!!

$2billion

two billion dollars

Never have I ever...seen a Dodge Report for that amount

I would rather it remain in the nation's capitol 

1 hour ago, Saticon3 said:

I would rather it remain in the nation's capitol 

You don't even live here, why do you care?

13 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Oh Ken :rolleyes: lol

2 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Oh Ken :rolleyes: lol

How is his life in Florida affected by a federal building built in Marylannd?

Just now, bmore_ken said:

How is his life in Florida affected by a federal building built in Marylannd?

I don't know. 

I was just laughing at you ragging on someone about where they live....considering what you go thru on here with someone else. :lol:

2 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I don't know. 

I was just laughing at you ragging on someone about where they live....considering what you go thru on here with someone else. :lol:

There's a big difference in people biatching about me living in White Marsh when I comment about city issues when I'm in the city on a regular basis. Than rendering  an opinion about a building you'll likely never see much less have an effect on you. Call me crazy. 

Posted (edited)

46 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Oh it's no major issue to me at all, I'm just thinking tradition and maybe the notion that HQ's of our most important agencies outta be located in the Capital City,  and I'm thinking of the FBI when it was the most respected law enforcement agency in the world --    admittedly these days with communications technology and  modern transportation, proximity is less of a concern, but, should we locate the Supreme Court in VA if we give the FBI HQ to MD? BTW, I have been in the FBI building dozens of times, first as a teenager on a tour, the rest on professional visits for various reasons. 

I also don't think its location should be a political plum regardless of which side's in power, if it's moved if should make sound economic sense for the Agency and the Federal Government, without regard to the economics of MD or VA, and if its going to be played that way, maybe its best to let it remain and that's a federal budget issue, now I realize, affects me minimally, but there is an effect. 

Edited by Saticon3

33 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

There's a big difference in people biatching about me living in White Marsh when I comment about city issues when I'm in the city on a regular basis. Than rendering  an opinion about a building you'll likely never see much less have an effect on you. Call me crazy. 

We'll be thinking of you and this post when you retire, move out of state (as did Saticon) but continue to comment on local issues.

Posted (edited)

I'll get us back to where we belong--- funny how Trump gets the blame for a project begun-- and unfinished- over ten years ago by a bunch of bring home the bacon congressmen- perhaps he figured if they couldn't get it done in 10 years, it might be time to look for a different solution.

Edited by Saticon3

2 hours ago, Saticon3 said:

Oh it's no major issue to me at all, I'm just thinking tradition and maybe the notion that HQ's of our most important agencies outta be located in the Capital City,  and I'm thinking of the FBI when it was the most respected law enforcement agency in the world --    admittedly these days with communications technology and  modern transportation, proximity is less of a concern, but, should we locate the Supreme Court in VA if we give the FBI HQ to MD? BTW, I have been in the FBI building dozens of times, first as a teenager on a tour, the rest on professional visits for various reasons. 

I also don't think its location should be a political plum regardless of which side's in power, if it's moved if should make sound economic sense for the Agency and the Federal Government, without regard to the economics of MD or VA, and if its going to be played that way, maybe its best to let it remain and that's a federal budget issue, now I realize, affects me minimally, but there is an effect. 

Something others on here have no inclination of. 

54 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

I'll get us back to where we belong--- funny how Trump gets the blame for a project begun-- and unfinished- over ten years ago by a bunch of bring home the bacon congressmen- perhaps he figured if they couldn't get it done in 10 years, it might be time to look for a different solution.

Good point; even the WAPO acknowledged that the funding debacle for the new FBI building spanned over 10 years; that real estate and political interests took precedence over the practicality and efficiency took second place to bureaucracy and politics. Both sides of Congress couldn't, wouldn't or didn't want to agree on any aspect of the project, so, we have what we have here today.

But that's ok, it's no one's fault, as per our malfunctioning government. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

Something others on here have no inclination of. 

I have no problem with Saticon's thought, Washington D.C. is what it is, however the price of real estate there is prohibitive for new construction. Real estate speculators, knowing of the Bureau's plans, will, of course demand and obtain the highest price for any location, campus-style or no. Such is the nature of a free market.  I read that next to D.C,; Denver has the highest concentration of Federal offices in the country, perhaps the Mile High City has something to offer.

Failing a site in D.C proper, I see no problems with a campus in P.G. or even Charles County in MD. even though a new building near Quantico may be the more practical and least expensive possibility. 

10 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

We'll be thinking of you and this post when you retire, move out of state (as did Saticon) but continue to comment on local issues.

Trust me, when I do retire you'll see a lot less of me on this board. I don't plan to spend my retirement years reading the crap that you clowns spew on a daily basis :lol:

Other than tradition, I don't see any reason to build more federal office space in Washington D.C., or PG, Montgomery, or Virginia counties for that matter.  There is a lot of space available in outlying counties in both MD and VA that offer much lower rent.  With tele-commuting expanding in the government, location, is less of a concern now for the employee sake.  Find cheap space in a nearby community, or in an another federal or state building and renovate it.  I can think of a few basically vacated federal and state buildings that could be renovated for a couple million and solve the problem quickly.

Not sure Denver works unless we are willing to relocate staff, and the FBI director needs to be relatively close to the President.  Daily briefings and all.  But I guess that could be done via secure video lines.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:03 AM, Papi said:

You know, I have agree with you 100%. I too remember when the building was constructed and after just 42 years it "crumbling?  This is sad.

But..but..but I thought the don was all about law enforcement and infrastructure.. :rolleyes: