Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChippewaJoe

Second half O's predictions

32 posts in this topic

Well, if their starting pitching ERA continues at 8+ as it has for the past thirty odd games.....I'd guess 28-46 for the second half, resulting in 70 wins for the season.  It can't continue to be this bad, or can it?

So.....I'll try to be optimistic, figure that the starters' ERA is 'only' 6.4 for the second half, and they manage to go 32-42, 74 for the season.  I still believe, as I did in May, that they'll be ten under .500 by the end of this month.

5 hours ago, ChippewaJoe said:

Well, if their starting pitching ERA continues at 8+ as it has for the past thirty odd games.....I'd guess 28-46 for the second half, resulting in 70 wins for the season.  It can't continue to be this bad, or can it?

So.....I'll try to be optimistic, figure that the starters' ERA is 'only' 6.4 for the second half, and they manage to go 32-42, 74 for the season.  I still believe, as I did in May, that they'll be ten under .500 by the end of this month.

With healthier players the Orioles will go 43-31 in the second half to end up at 85-77 - probably not enough for post-season.

74 wins seems about right.

The pitching is too flawed and damaged to course correct all at once. The offense is too flawed and damaged to suddenly carry the terrible pitching.

It really should be a lot worse than it is right now. Our pythag record is much worse than actual. Not a good sign going forward.

Pythag W/L is 37-51 (BBRef).

The starting pitching might get a little better.  Really, it has to, right?  

At least make the bullpen relevant.

The defense will remain bad and the offense unreliable.

I'll stick with my preseason pick of 82 wins. 

The run differential will remain very negative.

They will play 

We will post 

And pitbull will question Big Dans vision and foresight ?

43 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

The pitching is too flawed and damaged to course correct all at once.

"Flawed" is a unique word.

Frankly, I think the (starting) pitching is terrible.

28 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

They will play 

We will post 

I think about all the predictions here and yours will be the most accurate. :)

Posted (edited)

54 minutes ago, pitbull said:

"Flawed" is a unique word.

Frankly, I think the (starting) pitching is terrible.

Well, it is...now.

Thats why I used flawed/damaged. Tillman, Bundy and Gausman were supposed to be the 1-2-3 punch. So far, only Bundy has held up and even he has been trending downward. Tillman was injured, and is still dealing with something, and Gausman, who knows. Does it go back to the developmental flaws this organization seems to have? Are these just flukey down years? Are they battling through injury or fatigue? Who knows but you were always entering the season with those 3 guys in the rotation. No way around that.

Miley & Ubaldo were always the disasters-in-waiting. Not attempting to improve upon them entering the season was the biggest brain fart. They have both been atrocious, which, added to the struggles of Tillman/Bundy/Gausman, it has resulted in the dumpster fire our rotation has been.

Edited by Pickle20

The O's will be lucky to play 50-50 ball the second half of the season.

Meanwhile, the perennial shills/smart-alecks will continue to post their meaningless drivel.

3 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

With healthier players the Orioles will go 43-31 in the second half to end up at 85-77 - probably not enough for post-season.

Wanna bet?

They'll probably play better. It's hard to play worse. 80 wins

6 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I think about all the predictions here and yours will be the most accurate. :)

He left out Crousman. Just saying.

5 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

The O's will be lucky to play 50-50 ball the second half of the season.

Meanwhile, the perennial shills/smart-alecks will continue to post their meaningless drivel.

Their play alone doesn't inspire much hope. And to compound the matter, BOS NY and TB are all likely to bolster their teams. This will widen the gap. Boston has no $$$ restrictions, and a seemingly endless supply of near MLB ready blue chip prospects. I'm not sure about NY's farm system, but they can certainly afford to take on some other team's salary dump. TB will have to settle for a modest upgrade, but they've already made moves to improve. And as a current WC holder, they don't need to do much more than hold steady.  

With no help coming, if they do turn it around, it will have to be with the current roster.  Good luck with that one.  Going forward, I still think they have one of the better bullpens in baseball but that starting pitching.....OUCH!  The offense is just too one-dimensional to overcome the regular beatings the starters take. They're not a horrible team but I could easily seem them finishing around 77-85.  

10 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

They will play 

We will post 

By late July the big question will be, "so when does Training Camp start!"

I think this is going to be a very interesting period leading up to the deadline, given as how several teams who were likely to be buyers--such as Toronto and Detroit--could be in sell mode, and conversely, teams like Minnesota and Milwaukee are likely to try and add some help by the deadline.

If I had to pick teams which need to go for it right now, I'd say Houston and Washington. Both are comfortably ahead in their respective divisions, but each has shortcomings which should be addressed. Should Dallas Keuchel's neck woes continue, the Astros' rotation behind him is vulnerable. Even though they look to be built for the long haul, the Astros certainly can't risk risking this season since there are no guarantees they'll back in this position next year. 

Ditto with Washington. I don't think their fanbase is going to be happy with another first-round exit, but if they don't get some help for that bullpen, that's what is likely to happen.

8 hours ago, weird-O said:

Their play alone doesn't inspire much hope. And to compound the matter, BOS NY and TB are all likely to bolster their teams. This will widen the gap. Boston has no $$$ restrictions, and a seemingly endless supply of near MLB ready blue chip prospects. I'm not sure about NY's farm system, but they can certainly afford to take on some other team's salary dump. TB will have to settle for a modest upgrade, but they've already made moves to improve. And as a current WC holder, they don't need to do much more than hold steady.  

Boston has stated that they prefer to play what they have, but I'll believe that when I see it. They could use another bullpen arm, perhaps, but there doesn't figure to be another Andrew Miller in play this time around. Thing is, with teams seeing what the Yankees got for Miller last year, it's possible they'll start asking for too much this time around. The Red Sox can certainly afford the cost, but what should be worrisome is that Dave Dombrowski will likely be willing to pay it.

I think the Yankees will wait in the weeds for now, not so much to try and add someone at a low cost, but because that 6-16 stretch might have them wondering just how good of a team they really have. They have the prospects to make a significant move, but I think that only happens if they can gain ground on the Red Sox in the interim. Otherwise, they'd be paying a stiff price for what could amount of a one--and-done play-in game.

I agree that the Rays will likely hold steady, given the current state of their team. Fangraphs currently projects them to have a 38.4 percent chance of making the playoffs, either as a division winner or a wildcard. 

12 hours ago, weird-O said:

Good post.

Chris Davis is coming back and he will. or should , um, never mind.  Yawn. ;)  The excitement for his return is deafening:lol:

48 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Chris Davis is coming back and he will. or should , um, never mind.  Yawn. ;)  The excitement for his return is deafening:lol:

And don't forget, as another poster already brilliantly pointed out, Britton is back.

:rolleyes:

(Yeah. He's back. In name only. He got lit up. So while "he's back", he's not the same pitcher at all. Of course, we'll get the endless "Well, he's in Spring Training form" crap. But hey...this is the Sun board, after all.)

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

LOL-how about that contract? Now that is exciting:) 

I do like the guy, but wow-what a bad a contract.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

And don't forget, as another poster already brilliantly pointed out, Britton is back.

:rolleyes:

(Yeah. He's back. In name only. He got lit up. So while "he's back", he's not the same pitcher at all. Of course, we'll get the endless "Well, he's in Spring Training form" crap. But hey...this is the Sun board, after all.)

He looked better in his second outing.

9 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Maybe he can break the second half strikeout record or something 

7 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

He looked better in his second outing.

Well, then. There ya have it. What more could a fan ask for?