Baltimatt

Op-Ed: Are judges really to blame for Baltimore violence?

60 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0712-shipp-blame-20170711-story.html

Does it really come down to the judges? Should blame for repeat felons with access to guns and the temperament to use them be laid at the feet of the men and women in robes?

Gov. Larry Hogan thinks that is “a huge part of the problem.” He cites the same statistics the police commissioner does about Baltimore’s repeat shooters. “They don’t even fear a guilty verdict because guilty verdicts in this city are suspended all or most of the time. Sixty percent of the time,” Commissioner Kevin Davis has said.

Show me the data that supports that conclusion. Which judges are pronouncing sentences that are not in line with what prosecutors and defense attorneys recommend after assessing the strength of their cases and the likelihood of conviction? Somebody needs to start naming names rather than painting with broad strokes.

She goes on to state that judges are not carpetbaggers; all city judges live in the city.

They are definitely part of the problem.

30 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

They are definitely part of the problem.

Exactly.  And the there is almost no way to hold them accountable. 

25 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Exactly.  And the there is almost no way to hold them accountable. 

Take their power away with mandatory sentences for gun crimes. I know, a pipe dream. :angry:

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Take their power away with mandatory sentences for gun crimes. I know, a pipe dream. :angry:

Didn't Project Exile do that for gun crimes?  As for Ms. Shipp's opinion, do they have a breakdown, by judge, of how often they suspend gun crimes in their courtroom? 

Edited by PeanutG

4 minutes ago, PeanutG said:

Didn't Project Exile do that for gun crimes?

That's a federal program.

4 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

That's a federal program.

Ok.  I thought that it was.  Didn't it take the gun crimes cases that are being suspended in the city and make it go to federal court instead?  When did it go away and why?

40 minutes ago, PeanutG said:

Ok.  I thought that it was.  Didn't it take the gun crimes cases that are being suspended in the city and make it go to federal court instead?  When did it go away and why?

Good question. After a quick search I couldn't find anything on it.

Cut them out of the loop by taking more of these cases federal and getting real jail time.

Judges are simply lawyers that played the game long enough to move up.

52 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Cut them out of the loop by taking more of these cases federal and getting real jail time.

You don't even need to involve the feds. The MGA can pass a mandatory sentencing law.

Project Exile may not be the panacea.  Studies draw differing conclusions.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/homicide-in-rochester/

But soon after Exile went national, its record was called into question. Gun murder numbers rose every year but one through 2006. Two major research papers on the program’s effects in Richmond came to opposite conclusions, with one finding that it didn’t work at all and another that it may have sped the decline in gun murders. The city moved away from Exile after that. Critics say that for a program without clear success, Exile is too harsh. They say that tougher penalties alone do not generally deter people from committing crime and that federalizing cases removes prosecutorial accountability. And in many cities, defense attorneys say black defendants and families have borne a disproportionately large share of Exile’s burden.

7 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

no, no, no, can't do that, we now call that "mass-incarceration" that is no longer en vogue

4 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Project Exile may not be the panacea.  Studies draw differing conclusions.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/homicide-in-rochester/

Violent crime plummeted in a sustained trend over more than 20 years, has been going back up the last few. During the decline years, the prison population was rising immensely. A co-incidence?

Ms. Shipp should read all the violent crime stories where arrests have been made and take note of the records'  and prior court dispositions of the arrestees.

1 hour ago, Saticon3 said:

Ms. Shipp should read all the violent crime stories where arrests have been made and take note of the records'  and prior court dispositions of the arrestees.

MMMMmaaaaannnnnn don't bother her with facts. She is cool. 

14 hours ago, demopublican said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-marco-holmes-stabbed-20170217-story.html

Killed his girldfriend while released on suspended sentence for armed robbery.  

This is but one of many examples of released criminals almost immediately going back to some form of crime.

While I am sure that in many judges minds they are thinking 'ok give this guy a break' and back a decade or so that may have worked. Not now. The judges are failing to realize that the element out there now has no scruples no morals ....the  young guys don't even respect the older guys that get out.

I forget who they let out but it was in the paper Wednesday said that. 

The play book the judges ( I would hope) they are working from is old and outdated. That world is gone and the judges have to come to grips with that.. 

On 7/12/2017 at 10:40 AM, PeanutG said:

It has not gone anywhere.

Kevin Davis wants to enforce/enact it in the city, but is met with GOP resistance.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/bs-md-davis-gun-bill-20160221-story.html

1 hour ago, naive said:

It has not gone anywhere.

Kevin Davis wants to enforce/enact it in the city, but is met with GOP resistance.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/bs-md-davis-gun-bill-20160221-story.html

Apparently, you can't read very well.  The article mentions that he wants it to be statewide policy ... not city policy.  If that was the case, Kevin Davis would be petitioning the City Council; not Annapolis.  GOP resistance = wondering if it would be too broad to affect rural areas.  What do you call the Senate President Mike Miller saying that it's "not needed, or the AG saying he was opposed to minimum sentences?  BTW, doesn't the Democrats in Annapolis still have enough members to override Gov. Hogan's veto? 

9 minutes ago, PeanutG said:

Apparently, you can't read very well. 

Nailed it. I'm illiterate. You got me.

I'm cool with the city policing their own. The more guns there, the merrier.

1 hour ago, naive said:

Nailed it. I'm illiterate. You got me.

I'm cool with the city policing their own. The more guns there, the merrier.

LOL What a weak passive-aggressive answer.   I know that I got you.  That was easy work.  How about answering why you didn't mention the big Democrat figures and other Democrats in Annapolis who oppose this as well?  Wouldn't be for ... gasp ... partisan reasons?

11 minutes ago, PeanutG said:

LOL What a weak passive-aggressive answer.   I know that I got you.  That was easy work.  How about answering why you didn't mention the big Democrat figures and other Democrats in Annapolis who oppose this as well?  Wouldn't be for ... gasp ... partisan reasons?

Yup, got me again. Total partisan hack. You won! Congrats!

Circumvent the judge problem with mandatory minimum sentencing.  Commit a crime with a gun, 10 years, no parole.  Injure a person during that crime, 20 years, no parole.  Kill a person, life, no parole (but give the criminal the choice of execution by the method of their own choosing).

It strikes me as odd that during my entire lifetime no legislature has ever asked if I would accept a tax increase to enlarge prison capacity.  I would.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, FJBlacknight said:

Circumvent the judge problem with mandatory minimum sentencing.  Commit a crime with a gun, 10 years, no parole.  Injure a person during that crime, 20 years, no parole.  Kill a person, life, no parole (but give the criminal the choice of execution by the method of their own choosing).

It strikes me as odd that during my entire lifetime no legislature has ever asked if I would accept a tax increase to enlarge prison capacity.  I would.

Works for me.....but I am willing to go with maybe 2 chances. 

Failing that ......

First off ...this is what we need. Below

I know that won't work.....so....alternative. 

Secondly, I hear that there are a number of prisions closing around the nation that would be happy to accept our.....ahhh problems. Probably cheaper too.

Edited by Guido2