Baltimatt

Op-Ed: Are judges really to blame for Baltimore violence?

60 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2017 at 8:58 AM, Baltimatt said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0712-shipp-blame-20170711-story.html

She goes on to state that judges are not carpetbaggers; all city judges live in the city.

Does it really come down to the judges? The short answer? NO! It really comes down to the sorry state of civic and social leadership in the city. Nothing any component does to reduce crime will be an "absolute" success or failure. The key to how to reduce crime is thru a layered approach. Every country that has low to no crime rates practices this approach. What is it?  1. Mother and/or father has a conscious awareness that they must "condition" their newborn to be a self loving, decent. productive and valuable human beings when grown.  Starting at 3 minutes from birth. 2. If parent 1 knows this, then parent 2 thru 59, 99, 189, etc. must also believe and pursue this. Thus, the village is beginning to raise the child to be good.  Keep in mind that there are no absolutes. Only more of or less of something. With parents realizing that they can, and are supposed to, make a difference in the life of their newborn, the dynamics are changed. 3. For those children who did not respond the the child rearing process and go out into the world as menaces, that's where the police come in. Identify, arrest and charge them. 4. Now comes the judges. Sentence them based on the circumstances. Not because you feel sorry for them. Not because you want to run for some other office next year either. With the 4 layers in place only then can Baltimore experience a drop in crime. Baltimore needs a new crop of leaders who are fearless, have vision and will work to make life better, like Malcolm X or Paul Robeson. What we have now posing as leadership is not even worth discussing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uche said:

Does it really come down to the judges? The short answer? NO! It really comes down to the sorry state of civic and social leadership in the city. Nothing any component does to reduce crime will be an "absolute" success or failure. The key to how to reduce crime is thru a layered approach. Every country that has low to no crime rates practices this approach. What is it?  1. Mother and/or father has a conscious awareness that they must "condition" their newborn to be a self loving, decent. productive and valuable human beings when grown.  Starting at 3 minutes from birth. 2. If parent 1 knows this, then parent 2 thru 59, 99, 189, etc. must also believe and pursue this. Thus, the village is beginning to raise the child to be good.  Keep in mind that there are no absolutes. Only more of or less of something. With parents realizing that they can, and are supposed to, make a difference in the life of their newborn, the dynamics are changed. 3. For those children who did not respond the the child rearing process and go out into the world as menaces, that's where the police come in. Identify, arrest and charge them. 4. Now comes the judges. Sentence them based on the circumstances. Not because you feel sorry for them. Not because you want to run for some other office next year either. With the 4 layers in place only then can Baltimore experience a drop in crime. Baltimore needs a new crop of leaders who are fearless, have vision and will work to make life better, like Malcolm X or Paul Robeson. What we have now posing as leadership is not even worth discussing.

Now back to planet earth and the real world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Police, Prosecutors, Perps, Society at large.  Sure they all hold blame.

But the judges are the smallest group and the most sophisticated (supposedly) and are very well compensated.

I think it is fair to hold the judges responsible. They are elected and appointed and I think we should have a batter public system by which they are measured

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't there some judge in Anne Arundel County (I forget his name, but he was in a wheelchair) who got elected on a tough on crime platform a while back?  How is his performance on the bench?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, demopublican said:

The Police, Prosecutors, Perps, Society at large.  Sure they all hold blame.

But the judges are the smallest group and the most sophisticated (supposedly) and are very well compensated.

I think it is fair to hold the judges responsible. They are elected and appointed and I think we should have a batter public system by which they are measured

Of course it's fair to hold the judge accountable. No judge has to give out a suspended sentence. No judge has to give probation. Your public measuring system is a good idea, but that does no good until you change laws and sentencing guidelines. How can you say a judge is doing a bad job if the law gives him discretion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Goetzke is the judge's name.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/for_the_record/ph-ac-cn-odenton-robbery-sentencing-1105-20151104-story.html

Quote

 

An Anne Arundel County judge on Wednesday sentenced a Severn man to 18 months in jail in connection to a robbery last year at a party in Odenton.

In handing down the sentence, Circuit Court Judge Paul Goetzke said 18-year-old Mack Galloway needs "whatever rehabilitative services the state or county can offer to him."

 

Wait!  Don't lock him up and throw the key away?  Rehabilitative services?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Now back to planet earth and the real world

Thanks ken.....that gave me a big. :D Very good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Of course it's fair to hold the judge accountable. No judge has to give out a suspended sentence. No judge has to give probation. Your public measuring system is a good idea, but that does no good until you change laws and sentencing guidelines. How can you say a judge is doing a bad job if the law gives him discretion?

Correct! If the laws give a judge latitude and he/she feels to utilize it...you really can't say they are doing a bad job. But rather they are doing the job in a way that you don't want them to.

That make sense?

I was just thinking (yes ken it does happen. ;)). There are many states ... and I think MD also...are using very sophisticated software program to determine if a criminal should be given a bail opportunity/what type/or not at all.

Seems that instead of mandatory sentencing that a similiar software program could easily be developed to more or less set a base level of punishment (or not) for determining sentencing.

For example person found guilty; punch into program; theft of under 500 dollars, first offense, no pending outstanding warrants etc. Ding ding ding. Answer is; probation before judgement, 50 hours community service. Base penalty...Judge can go up....not down.

Next example person found guilty: punch into program; use of illegal handgun in commission of a crime (theft of over 1000); 3rd offense, outstanding warrants etc. Ding ding ding. Answer is: 5 years for the illegal gun charge, plus 5 years for theft, no suspension of time or deductions for time served. Again the judge can go up but not down.

So in both cases there is a baseline ....which takes the judge off the hook for being soft...if he/she wants to be a hard liner so be it.

I fully understand that as judge they have digression and latitude. Within certain boundaries. However when soft hearted (or headed) judges essentially are re-writing the laws in their court room ....then there is  a problem.

Which as we are seeing is manifesting itself in places like BC and other cities..

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

What's really sad is he'll probably be out in 6

He stands for re-election in 2019.  He won in 2004 by knocking off a sitting judge.

 

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/31cc/html/msa14369.html

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/36loc/an/html/anj.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39645-2004Nov10.html

Edited by Baltimatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now