Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Roch Kubatko opines that Orioles remain in "buying" mode

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I don't know how we can buy when we have nothing to sell. 

Unless Dan is planning to sell Scott and Sisco -- the only prospects in our system that are sniffing real MLB experience -- for another Parra or Miley type.

And that would be a colossal mistake. 1. Players of that caliber do nothing to move a needle on a team as deeply flawed as this one and 2. Why continue to trade away young, cheap and controllable players when you've completely handcuffed yourself in acquiring young, cheap and controllable players by avoiding international amateur free agency and failing to sign draw picks?

It appears that this organization has 2018 as an end date for competing and everything is expendable.

Edited by Pickle20

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I don't know how we can buy when we have nothing to sell. 

Unless Dan is planning to sell Scott and Sisco -- the only prospects in our system that are sniffing real MLB experience -- for another Parra or Miley type.

And that would be a colossal mistake. 1. Players of that caliber do nothing to move a needle on a team as deeply flawed as this one and 2. Why continue to trade away young, cheap and controllable players when you've completely handcuffed yourself in acquiring young, cheap and controllable players by avoiding international amateur free agency and failing to sign draw picks?

It appears that this organization has 2018 as an end date for competing and everything is expendable.

I'd fall off my chair if there were any significant BUYS from the Orioles. Sometimes pundits (in this case an advocate for the Orioles) just put things out there to see what reaction they get.

Edited by ncbirdfan
subject/verb agreement

5 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I'd fall off my chair if there were any significant BUYS from the Orioles. Sometimes pundits (in this case an advocate for the Orioles) just puts things out there to see what reaction they get.

I think by "being in buying mode" it just means they aren't in "selling mode" which I would never expect them to be.

But yeah, overall I agree.

16 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I think by "being in buying mode" it just means they aren't in "selling mode" which I would never expect them to be.

But yeah, overall I agree.

I am OK if they don't buy or sell. I think they should just go with what they have unless something significant comes their way.

1 hour ago, ncbirdfan said:

I am OK if they don't buy or sell. I think they should just go with what they have unless something significant comes their way.

yep

2 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I'm pretty sure he wrote that just to mess with you.

Looks like it worked :D

If it comes from Roch, it's like a press release from the team. He is there to disseminate information endorsed by ownership.

He has all that freedom since Anita split, that he has to write something to pass the time;-)

What else is Duquette going to say at this point?

By saying that the team is underperforming, that more or less implies that there is upside for some team looking to add a piece should the Orioles decide to sell. Not that the Orioles have a lot to sell right now; any team looking to buy from them is going to be shopping off the rack, but someone might be a tad more willing to trade if they think they're trading for someone's "good half" of the season.

14 hours ago, pitbull said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/orioles-still-in-buyers-mode-for-now.html

Thoughts?

Who, exactly, is Big Dan going to trade away from the Minor League system for another fifth starter?

Roch is a good guy but some time I do believe he can be used by the organization.

But who knows here...I think most of us here (and most engaged non-casual fans) understand that if they don't sell, they are hurting this franchise in a very bad way.

7 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

Roch is a good guy but some time I do believe he can be used by the organization.

But who knows here...I think most of us here (and most engaged non-casual fans) understand that if they don't sell, they are hurting this franchise in a very bad way.

If you want to see a fire sale, some other steps will have to happen first. For starters, you have to remove Buck, or at least make it clear to him that he is the manager, and that the GM is his boss. Then you have to extend DD, let him pick his own manager (after 2018), and give him unquestioned authority to build the team he envisions. And that has to be accomplished within a month. In order to build the future, you need a GM who knows he'll be here to see that future.  

I think most of us really like Buck, but he has too much power. And he has already trampled on DD's toes. Most notably, refusing to play Kim, and overriding the UJ trade last year. And since Buck has already said that this contract will be his last job as a field manager, he's a lame duck, and an obstacle to success.  

Then you need to resolve the Manny question. By the end of the season, he's either extended, or available. Playing the FA negotiation dance will only interfere with any other significant moves, because any subsequent move will be influenced by Manny and his new contract. They need to avoid the disastrous Davis contract situation, where they didn't make any upgrades, because they needed to keep their money free, should he decide to return.  

Frankly, I'd rather see Manny traded. I don't believe the O's have a shortage of revenue, but we are all aware of how miserly Pete and Co. are with the purse. No sense in having another Ripken era in Baltimore. And I suspect that's what we'd get. And any time Pete gets asked about the new consecutive season losing streak, he'll point to Manny and say, "We have Manny, it's hard to afford anyone else". Manny looks like a headache of a player. First it was his immature acts against Donaldson. Now it's his lack of hustle on the field. Manny is experiencing his first taste of hard times, in both his individual play, and the team's losing, and he instinctual reaction appears to be, give up. Who wants to see a $40M/yr player slouch through the motions. And that virus will infect the whole team. When AJ, Hardy, and O'Day are gone, Manny will be the veteran that the new guys look to. I fear we're already seeing who he will be.  

100% agree-Manny should be traded. Not really even an option. They gave Davis a terrible contract and Manny's value is tied to his defense-if he goes down with a serious injury-that entire contract is going to be an albatross around a team's neck. We aren't the Dodgers, Yankees, Sox that can afford that kind of mistake.

I think Buck is fine staying through the rebuild and my guess is he transitions to the FO. I have stated, as you know, that I think DD should be replaced or at least augmented by someone with more a propensity for rebuilding. 

17 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

100% agree-Manny should be traded. Not really even an option. They gave Davis a terrible contract and Manny's value is tied to his defense-if he goes down with a serious injury-that entire contract is going to be an albatross around a team's neck. We aren't the Dodgers, Yankees, Sox that can afford that kind of mistake.

I think Buck is fine staying through the rebuild and my guess is he transitions to the FO. I have stated, as you know, that I think DD should be replaced or at least augmented by someone with more a propensity for rebuilding. 

DD's has a track record of success, in building championship caliber teams, for multiple franchises. I'm not sure what else he has to do to impress you. When he moves on, and probably builds his next WS contending team, perhaps the folks around here will finally... 

Most O's fans look at this team, and point the finger at DD. Few seem to recognize how much of an influence Buck plays on this team. Moving Buck to the GM position will be a continuation of what we see now. Buck wanted Davis, not DD. That contract you dislike so much, that's the work of the guy you want to see move to the FO (presumably in the GM role?). And since Pete absolutely will not pay for FA pitching, you need a development system that can produce front of the rotation pitchers. Buck would be responsible for hiring the people to carry out that responsibility. Buck, the guy who thought Rick Adair was brilliant, would be hiring the staff. Buck, the guy who used his influence to override DD, and kept UJ, and then used him in the WC game, would be in charge of drafting and signing pitchers, prospects and FAs alike. 

I dislike the idea of Buck being the next VPOBBO. But he will be, if he wants it. That's how the owner rolls. He likes to hire GM's based on how much he enjoys having lunch with them.