Sprightly

Maryland climbs five spots on CNBC's list of best states for business

20 posts in this topic

"Maryland moved into the top half of the country on CNBC's annual list of America's best states for business after jumping five spots to No. 25.

The improvement comes after Maryland moved up six spots last year, meaning the state has improved its ranking by 11 spots over the last two years. CNBC's ranking takes into consideration 60 measures of competitiveness and then separates the metrics into 10 categories, weighted based on how frequently each is used as a selling point in state economic development marketing materials."

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2017/07/12/maryland-climbs-five-spots-on-cnbcs-list-of-best.html

Hmm the resident Maryland haters seem to be absent from the thread. Wonder why?

22 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Hmm the resident Maryland haters seem to be absent from the thread. Wonder why?

Do we have resident Maryland haters?

5 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Do we have resident Maryland haters?

Sure do. You must not be paying attention.

Great, but essentially meaningless news for Maryland. It returns us to where we were in 2007 under Governor O'Malley before the recession of 2008.

I like numbers and all but polls like this are crazy, and I would find it difficult to believe an individual would make a decision about locating a business in Maryland because of it hard to believe. 

Unfortunately for Hogan, the state's business friendliness ranking fell seven spots from last year to No. 33.

I'm guessing this means Maryland actually makes businesses pay some taxes and is somewhat interested in reducing pollution.

"jumping five spots to No. 25"

So Gee Whiz! Half of the States are Worse than us and Half are Better. So I guess that makes it a Coin Toss to come here or not. Wow, now That's Encouraging! :lol:

34 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

I'm guessing this means Maryland actually makes businesses pay some taxes and is somewhat interested in reducing pollution.

Pretty much

7 hours ago, Bartman said:

"jumping five spots to No. 25"

So Gee Whiz! Half of the States are Worse than us and Half are Better. So I guess that makes it a Coin Toss to come here or not. Wow, now That's Encouraging! :lol:

But better than MOM did

IMO, it's great. I think Governor Hogan has done a pretty good job for Maryland. He has done well with the finances I just wish he would have done more for certain personal freedoms. Helmet choice for motorcyclists and shall issue concealed carry. I wish him the best in the next election.

Congrats to the Gove.

Keep it com'n

3 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

IMO, it's great. I think Governor Hogan has done a pretty good job for Maryland. He has done well with the finances I just wish he would have done more for certain personal freedoms. Helmet choice for motorcyclists and shall issue concealed carry. I wish him the best in the next election.

Well maybe with luck he will 'get around to it' in his second term. But unfortunately we have a GA with a proven track record on those things and obviously aren't likely to budge.

Democrats, remember whose pro-business Republican Administration has been promoting business in Maryland.

It sure wasn't O'Malley or Glendening or any other Democratic Governor.

If you like the way Maryland is being run, re-elect Larry Hogan next year and oust the Democratic leadership of the General Assembly . Mike and Mike, the Axis of Evil!

3 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

Two laws that bother me now that I am in Florida.  I watched a young kid crash his scooter the other day and smack his bare head.  So dumb.  I can't believe anyone would ride w/o a helmet 

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, demopublican said:

Two laws that bother me now that I am in Florida.  I watched a young kid crash his scooter the other day and smack his bare head.  So dumb.  I can't believe anyone would ride w/o a helmet 

SSSSooooooo it also sounds like you also have a problem with CCW that was amplified in Florida. Not trolling just wondering. 

Helmet laws. While personally I think it is wise to wear a helmet (I rode I know) if someone wants to ride without that is their issue. Just don't send me the medical bill or hit me with a 'fundme'.

When it comes to kids....well I dunno....I rode my bike and what we called mo-peds well into my 20's with no helmet....and I am sure millions of others and we made it.

Too many helicopter Mom's and Dad's I think... you can't legislate away 'poop happens'. 

Back to foot driven bikes. I never rode with a helmet...and had maybe one accident. However, when I moved to MD and 'had' to wear a helmet....I had several accidents....helmet slipped over my eyes....crated a lot of sweat so I couldn't see...popped off my head and hit my rear wheel. I stopped riding.

BTW the helmets were top of the line for the mid-80s not Walmart junk. 

Edited by Guido2