Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

Bartman

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Better, JohnUK's (from Trip Advisor Forums) Old Site before he Quit everything, He was kind of an Icon of  LV on Trip Advisor several years ago then he just disappeared. Think he got in a Row with someone or something then he Quit Everything on the 'Net. John took a Lot of the more recent pics himself. This remains on the Internet Archive, it's Great!

This is a Huge site with Loads of pics, it's gonna take you a while to look at it all John put a Lot into this, Thanks JohnUK wherever you are!

https://web.archive.org/web/20100217041529/http://john-uk.com/LasVegasHistory/LVHISTORY.html

 

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Las vegas is the only town I know of that can make ritchie highway look refined:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Actually thought I Was on Ritchie Hwy for a bit driving on Boulder Hwy out around Sam's Town then you look at the Mountains and say well it's definitely Not! Thing that gets me most abt driving out there is they Don't paint any lines on the roads. Guess the Sun just bleaches them away too quick. What they do have are all the Reflectors in the asphalt which is good at night. You get used to it pretty fast in the day but it takes some getting used to at nite.

 

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an Hour & a Half? Here's a Walk, No Narrations or Comments, just a Walking Tour of the Strip, Inside some of the Venetian & Ceasars shops, some of inside the Bellagio, in 4K. All the Sights & Sounds as they are in 4K. The Songs around the Fountains & such had to be muted out due to YouTube "Copyright Infringement" rules but this is as close as you'll get to being there without going yourself. I didn't make it, someone who has all the equipment and knew Not to Talk through the whole thing did.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, Bartman said:

Got an Hour & a Half? Here's a Walk, No Narrations or Comments, just a Walking Tour of the Strip, Inside some of the Venetian & Ceasars shops, some of inside the Bellagio, in 4K. All the Sights & Sounds as they are in 4K. The Songs around the Fountains & such had to be muted out due to YouTube "Copyright Infringement" rules but this is as close as you'll get to being there without going yourself. I didn't make it, someone who has all the equipment and knew Not to Talk through the whole thing did.

 

Cool stuff bart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Go to this guy Armen Hunanyans YouTube Channel, he's got More Walks Day & Nite! Not Just LV. Must have a few grand into a good camera and steady mount. Wish I had it! That's the Good thing about these Vids, he doesn't narrate or talk thru them like most YouTubers do, just films it all so you can enjoy the Sights & Sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewDimensionArt/videos

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love going to Vegas. Would like to move there but I doubt it will happen.

 

B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Las Vegas is my favorite place on Earth.  Couldn't live there though.  Just not a fan of the desert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, alienrace said:

Las Vegas is my favorite place on Earth.  Couldn't live there though.  Just not a fan of the desert. 

If I had any Real Money at all, I could settle for a small Condo there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to gamble, I like the shows, I like the side trips outside of Vegas and I like Vegas ......

I've been a few times for work and in my personal life .....

But there are too many other places I want to see to keep going to Vegas over and over ......

Now if work sends me ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I like to gamble, I like the shows, I like the side trips outside of Vegas and I like Vegas ......I've been a few times for work and in my personal life .....But there are too many other places I want to see to keep going to Vegas over and over ......Now if work sends me ......

To me, it's specifically to Gamble. Lower table minimums that I can afford .esp off strip & downtown and better Slots, real RNG slots not what's run by the Lottery and loads of Different places to play. Only a few of the smaller outlying casinos we haven't been in by now. We get a rental car and we drive all over. Downtown, and behind Fremont St, out to Red Rock out that way, east to Sam's Town & Boulder Station, down around to GVR then down to The M, back up to South Point, over to the Orleans. Gold Coast, Palms & Rio. Where you want to Eat & Play Today? Palace Station is one of the Cheapest B'fast buffets to start at. Cheap Eats, B'fast buffets for $7-8 and Dinners for $16-17 or so. A big breakfast and you just cruise through to dinnertime. Never seen a show, not interested. I'll still go to AC now and then but they don't have lower minimums for what I want to play. For me it's always been about getting Away to Stay & Play. I have absolutely no desire to gamble right here at all. Went to Live once to show a gal what a casino looks like but haven't been back since. I have no desire to go Downtown at all. Went up to Hollywood for a bit the one year when we had that storm and my power went out and I wasn't impressed. I just Like the way you're treated out there. AC has lost a lot of it's appeal, used to be better till all the States got greedy and OK'd their own gambling. that's hurt AC badly but I'd still rather stay there a couple nights and run around the casinos left there than spend one day in a Local place. Just not my thing to Play at home, No Point in it.

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bartman said:

To me, it's specifically to Gamble. Lower table minimums that I can afford .esp off strip & downtown and better Slots, real RNG slots not what's run by the Lottery and loads of Different places to play. Only a few of the smaller outlying casinos we haven't been in by now. We get a rental car and we drive all over. Downtown, and behind Fremont St, out to Red Rock out that way, east to Sam's Town & Boulder Station, down around to GVR then down to The M, back up to South Point, over to the Orleans. Gold Coast, Palms & Rio. Where you want to Eat & Play Today? Palace Station is one of the Cheapest B'fast buffets to start at. Cheap Eats, B'fast buffets for $7-8 and Dinners for $16-17 or so. A big breakfast and you just cruise through to dinnertime. Never seen a show, not interested. I'll still go to AC now and then but they don't have lower minimums for what I want to play. For me it's always been about getting Away to Stay & Play. I have absolutely no desire to gamble right here at all. Went to Live once to show a gal what a casino looks like but haven't been back since. I have no desire to go Downtown at all. Went up to Hollywood for a bit the one year when we had that storm and my power went out and I wasn't impressed. I just Like the way you're treated out there. AC has lost a lot of it's appeal, used to be better till all the States got greedy and OK'd their own gambling. that's hurt AC badly but I'd still rather stay there a couple nights and run around the casinos left there than spend one day in a Local place. Just not my thing to Play at home, No Point in it.

Yea, but you treat fresh air and sunshine like kryptonite..... 

Lots of places to see in the world other than the inside of a casino time and time and time again.....

Fly across the country to find a cheap buffet and a cheap meal, no thanks...

We go to Vegas and we see shows and eat at places that are special, not to find the cheapest stuff we can  .......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Yea, but you treat fresh air and sunshine like kryptonite.....

'Cause I've Worked Outside in it for a Lot of my career. Marine Terminals & Rail Yards. Hot, Cold, Wet, Dry. I Still get out enough all the time at work. Had to dodge the Downpour yesterday! I Should be sitting on my Butt more in the A/C now like I am and letting my People do the rest. I made an Observation years ago: Look around and see who Most of the people are up at 6:30 hanging around Waiting for the B'fast buffet to open. "When the Hell are they gonna Open up?" It's all us Gray/White haired people! I get up Without an alarm clock between 4:30-5:00 AM every day. The Young Folk haven't even Dreamed of getting up yet. B'fast Buffets, it's All the same Eggs, Sausage. Bacon and whatever variety of Home Fries anyway. $7.99 vs $20, where would you go? I'm not used to Fancy Food and doubt I could tell the difference.

Dinner: Main Street Station downtown used to have T-bone night every Tuesday for $13.99 but it's gone now. Most Station Casinos, the "Feast Buffets", like Sam's Town & others usually have some kind of Prime Rib most nites for like $16.99, even Red Rock is only $1 more. Paid way more at Rio one time for $25 or something but I can't justify it.

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bartman said:

'Cause I've Worked Outside in it for a Lot of my career. Marine Terminals & Rail Yards. Hot, Cold, Wet, Dry. I Still get out enough all the time at work. Had to dodge the Downpour yesterday! I Should be sitting on my Butt more in the A/C now like I am and letting my People do the rest. I made an Observation years ago: Look around and see who Most of the people are up at 6:30 hanging around Waiting for the B'fast buffet to open. "When the Hell are they gonna Open up?" It's all us Gray/White haired people! I get up Without an alarm clock between 4:30-5:00 AM every day. The Young Folk haven't even Dreamed of getting up yet. B'fast Buffets, it's All the same Eggs, Sausage. Bacon and whatever variety of Home Fries anyway. $7.99 vs $20, where would you go? I'm not used to Fancy Food and doubt I could tell the difference.

Dinner: Main Street Station downtown used to have T-bone night every Tuesday for $13.99 but it's gone now. Most Station Casinos, the "Feast Buffets", like Sam's Town & others usually have some kind of Prime Rib most nites for like $16.99, even Red Rock is only $1 more. Paid way more at Rio one time for $25 or something but I can't justify it.

Bartman, you owe no one any explanations as to why you enjoy what you enjoy. If a certain poster had really paid attention to your posts, instead of making lame comments about them, he would remember how you've said that you've worked outside for many years. 

May you enjoy many more LV trips. :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Bartman, you owe no one any explanations as to why you enjoy what you enjoy. If a certain poster had really paid attention to your posts, instead of making lame comments about them, he would remember how you've said that you've worked outside for many years. 

May you enjoy many more LV trips. :)

 

 

 

Just a Lead-In to my take on LV on a Budget that I really wanted to mention! Hey if you want to spend $50 or more per person on a meal, knock yourself out. I fully acknowledge it would be wasted on me. However many people, myself included didn't know till after like our 2nd trip that you could eat at plenty of other places for less than just going to the same Strip buffets where you might be staying. I figure 2 of us splitting the cost of the car rental pretty much is a break even prop by saving at other off strip places BUT you get out and around and see a Lot more than the folks just stuck on the Strip. I know my way all over out there now. Where you wanna go today? Red Rock, The M, Sam's Town, South Point, GVR, Downtown, one of the Station casinos? Oh, let's go this way today! McCarran has a Top setup with their car rental terminal. They shuttle you there and back Quick! Just get a car and come & go as you please. Forget riding the Deuce or Monorail and forget Cabs. I always get at least a Mid-Size car and have been Upgraded several times. I've gotten Breaks and had full size Hyundai Genesis & Chrysler 300's on the cheap. Just drive up to any casino & flip the kids out front a Tip and walk in and out whenever you want like a High Roller! I Love it!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bartman said:

Just a Lead-In to my take on LV on a Budget that I really wanted to mention! Hey if you want to spend $50 or more per person on a meal, knock yourself out. I fully acknowledge it would be wasted on me. However many people, myself included didn't know till after like our 2nd trip that you could eat at plenty of other places for less than just going to the same Strip buffets where you might be staying. I figure 2 of us splitting the cost of the car rental pretty much is a break even prop by saving at other off strip places BUT you get out and around and see a Lot more than the folks just stuck on the Strip. I know my way all over out there now. Where you wanna go today? Red Rock, The M, Sam's Town, South Point, GVR, Downtown, one of the Station casinos? Oh, let's go this way today! McCarran has a Top setup with their car rental terminal. They shuttle you there and back Quick! Just get a car and come & go as you please. Forget riding the Deuce or Monorail and forget Cabs. I always get at least a Mid-Size car and have been Upgraded several times. I've gotten Breaks and had full size Hyundai Genesis & Chrysler 300's on the cheap. Just drive up to any casino & flip the kids out front a Tip and walk in and out whenever you want like a High Roller! I Love it!   

You've got it down to a science :)

I've never been to LV, it just doesn't appeal to me. I prefer the water and beach. But, if I did go, I'd do the exotic car racing. My brother rented a Lamborghini while he was out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been to the casinos here, Maryland Live, Hollywood, and AC, but have never been to Vegas.

Bartman, I respect anyone's hobby. I'm into scale models, guns, and old bicycles. You clearly love gambling. 

I have a take on casinos, which may seem rude, but it's my personal take, please, no offense. I'd really like your thoughts.

Unlike the print ads for Maryland Live! (which does really well) I don't see people gathered, laughing and smiling either at the slots or table games. The slots seem like a place where stoic, static people sit expressionless pumping coins. Table games are a bit more animated, but the slots..just seems very depressing to me. Typical casino has lots of glitz and glamour,  but it seems that most gamblers would be just as comfortable in a dimly lit warehouse. 

Is Vegas different?

(disclosure: In AC, my wife won $600 on a 1$ slot machine. We immediately left, as we had spent about 60$ to get there, and we wanted to take the house on this. Walking out, I wanted to drop a hundred on a single slot pull, but my wise wife said don't do it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Slots are pretty much for Amusement mostly though once in a while you might get Lucky. Biggest single hit after One Spin I ever had was in Caesars AC. I forget now what title it was but remember it was a New title I wanted to try out. Some other lady was playing it so I just wandered around the rows close and when she got up, I grabbed the seat. Mistakenly I thought it was Pennies but after rolling in a $20 and hitting the button I saw it was Nickels! Then right away on that first spin I hit the Bonus which paid me something like $460 and change. Needless to say I cashed out immediately and redeemed the ticket.

Unfortunately here and in AC the Table Minimums are too high for My preferred game, Pai-Gow Poker. However in Downtown LV you can usually find $10/hand tables esp during the day. PGP is a Slow, Low Percentage game and one of the few you actually pick up your cards and set your Two hands, a 5 card High hand and a 2 card Low hand. To Win you must Beat Both of the Dealers hands. Of course Splitting is a Push. And if the Dealer beats Both your hands, well, you know. Percentage wise, I don't know the exact number offhand but you Push like 40 point something % of the time. Win like 29 point something % and lose 30 point something % of the time. So if all 6 spots are filled on the table, it's a really Slow game and everyone sits and chats and watches how the cards come out and who wins and loses. Very Social, lots of Chat. You won't make a Killing at it but for a $100 buy in, unless you hit a Bad Run, you can play for a couple Hours and still have some of your stake left if not getting Ahead or just staying Even. Just play Straight Up and forget the Bonus and Insurance bets, they just jack the Casinos Odds.

Don't know if they still have it but at South Point they had Mini-Bac at $5/hand so I bought in for $100 and had fun learning with my little pen & scorecard keeping track of the hands and played for quite a while before it went away. That was Fun but mostly Mini-Bac has Higher Minimums that keep me away.

Especially Downtown & Off Strip Cheap Roulette is all over the place. At Binion's one morning they had a table with 0.25 chips with a $2 Minimum! We bought in for $40 each and played with the Streets and Combinations on the table for quite a while and cashed out something like an hour later with almost what we started with. That was pretty Cheap fun!

Blackjack is only for people who Understand Completely what you should Hit or Stand on with what you have and what the Dealer is showing. I don't so I don't play. Craps I avoid 'cause I don't like standing around and everyone jostling each other. The Only bet there is just on the Come Out Roll, just play the Pass Line. That's the Only bet with Good Odds. The other "Carnival" games are just too Fast! Remember this One Rule! The Less Money you put At Risk over Time! Slots are the Worst when you consider Plays/Hour, just think about it. But you can still have some Fun with them if you see something that Floats your Boat.

Hope this helps some.

Here's Mike Shacklefords site, he used to be an Actuary with Social Security right here in Baltimore before moving to LV, now he teaches Game Theory etc. at UNLV!

https://wizardofodds.com/

BTW my Gun Cabinet is filled too!

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bartman said:

Slots are pretty much for Amusement mostly though once in a while you might get Lucky. Biggest single hit after One Spin I ever had was in Caesars AC. I forget now what title it was but remember it was a New title I wanted to try out. Some other lady was playing it so I just wandered around the rows close and when she got up, I grabbed the seat. Mistakenly I thought it was Pennies but after rolling in a $20 and hitting the button I saw it was Nickels! Then right away on that first spin I hit the Bonus which paid me something like $460 and change. Needless to say I cashed out immediately and redeemed the ticket.

Unfortunately here and in AC the Table Minimums are too high for My preferred game, Pai-Gow Poker. However in Downtown LV you can usually find $10/hand tables esp during the day. PGP is a Slow, Low Percentage game and one of the few you actually pick up your cards and set your Two hands, a 5 card High hand and a 2 card Low hand. To Win you must Beat Both of the Dealers hands. Of course Splitting is a Push. And if the Dealer beats Both your hands, well, you know. Percentage wise, I don't know the exact number offhand but you Push like 40 point something % of the time. Win like 29 point something % and lose 30 point something % of the time. So if all 6 spots are filled on the table, it's a really Slow game and everyone sits and chats and watches how the cards come out and who wins and loses. Very Social, lots of Chat. You won't make a Killing at it but for a $100 buy in, unless you hit a Bad Run, you can play for a couple Hours and still have some of your stake left if not getting Ahead or just staying Even. Just play Straight Up and forget the Bonus and Insurance bets, they just jack the Casinos Odds.

Don't know if they still have it but at South Point they had Mini-Bac at $5/hand so I bought in for $100 and had fun learning with my little pen & scorecard keeping track of the hands and played for quite a while before it went away. That was Fun but mostly Mini-Bac has Higher Minimums that keep me away.

Especially Downtown & Off Strip Cheap Roulette is all over the place. At Binion's one morning they had a table with 0.25 chips with a $2 Minimum! We bought in for $40 each and played with the Streets and Combinations on the table for quite a while and cashed out something like an hour later with almost what we started with. That was pretty Cheap fun!

Blackjack is only for people who Understand Completely what you should Hit or Stand on with what you have and what the Dealer is showing. I don't so I don't play. Craps I avoid 'cause I don't like standing around and everyone jostling each other. The Only bet there is just on the Come Out Roll, just play the Pass Line. That's the Only bet with Good Odds. The other "Carnival" games are just too Fast! Remember this One Rule! The Less Money you put At Risk over Time! Slots are the Worst when you consider Plays/Hour, just think about it. But you can still have some Fun with them if you see something that Floats your Boat.

Hope this helps some.

Here's Mike Shacklefords site, he used to be an Actuary with Social Security right here in Baltimore before moving to LV, now he teaches Game Theory etc. at UNLV!

https://wizardofodds.com/

BTW my Gun Cabinet is filled too!

Not very good advice from a gambling odds standpoint, especially about craps ......

players know playing the odds are one of the best bets in a casino, pay true odds and occurr only after the rollout ......

https://wizardofodds.com/games/craps/basics/#toc-TheOdds

Don't play blackjack and play slots? stop talking about odds and admit you just like the pretty lights ......

Low table mins are good when playing low percentage games so that makessense ......

Do your homework, learn the games that payout well and step up to the table .....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To each their own.  Been to LV a couple of times...best people watching in the country!  Saw a few comedy shows...did some small gambling but that's not my thing.  Liked betting on sports but that's not really instant gratification like the normal casino games.  That said, you couldn't pay me to live there, nor would I go there if I hadn't been required.  More room for the rest of you.  Give me the ocean or the mountains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Not very good advice from a gambling odds standpoint, especially about craps ......

players know playing the odds are one of the best bets in a casino, pay true odds and occurr only after the rollout ......

https://wizardofodds.com/games/craps/basics/#toc-TheOdds

Don't play blackjack and play slots? stop talking about odds and admit you just like the pretty lights ......

Low table mins are good when playing low percentage games so that makessense ......

Do your homework, learn the games that payout well and step up to the table .....

 

 I don't consider myself a Serious Gambler. To me it's Recreation a few times a year. Now my buddy John who Used to go to AC on a bus every week goes down to Horseshoe now every week. Must be Nice! But he plays Pai Gow Tiles which he knows like a book and even knows it in Chinese! The Wongs and Gongs and all that stuff. That's Low percentage too but he's playing at $25-$50 a hand which is too steep for me. Sometimes he'll play a little Bacarrat if they have it Macau Style.

Frank Scoblete has columns on I think it's the Casino City Times and though he's one of those Golden Touch Craps players he points out the Money at Risk over Time equation a lot. I mentioned Slots are the Worst and everyone knows that but they can be Fun. With Blackjack unless you play Perfect Strategy which I do not know and don't care to, it's just too Fast for me. You Know the Casino has all the Odds so you're Not going to come out a Winner in the long run no matter what you think. So I Low Ball it and just try to have Fun which I usually do.

I've sat in Binions all afternoon when I get on a PGP table Early at $5/hand for a $100 buy in. When more people come in they bump it to $10 but I'm Grandfathered in at $5! I played for like 4 1/2 hrs straight and said I Had to get up 'cause my Butt was Killing me and this 60sh looking woman called me a Rookie! Anyway I've done that, Played all afternoon and still had at least 1/2 of my stack left, a couple times I've gotten a little ahead, it's a Grind! And I've had a couple times when you just get a Bad Run and can't catch a hand and lose the Buy In.

I'm there for Fun, Anyone who thinks they're going to Win all the time in a Casino is a Fool!

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0