Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleedingorangeandblack

Dodgers Interested In Britton

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jabba2 said:

Well the owner is 87, and Buck is reportedly retiring in 2018, so there more than likley will be entirely new FO management in 2019 as well. Not that I fault Buck for the teams minor league issues. Far from it, if they had a competent farm system, Buck would probably want to hang around, instead of retiring when Machado leaves.

And who's going to fix the farm system?

(As an aside...it's now 3-0 Cubs, still in the top of the first inning, with Out of Gasman pitching. Yeah. This team will be lucky to go .500 the rest of the way.)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

24 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

And who's going to fix the farm system?

(As an aside...it's now 3-0 Cubs, still in the top of the first inning, with Out of Gasman pitching. Yeah. This team will be lucky to go .500 the rest of the way.)

Now 6-0 in the 2nd. I agree this trade is looking more and more like a good idea. I just dont know if its enough to convince Dan . He probably thinks they have another strong run in '18.

1 minute ago, jabba2 said:

Now 6-0 in the 2nd. I agree this trade is looking more and more like a good idea. I just dont know if its enough to convince Dan . He probably thinks they have another strong run in '18.

I know he makes the decisions (along with the owner) but still...at this point...I could not care less what Dan thinks.

17 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

The rich keep getting richer. They don't need another bat. Didn't you read the article? They don't have any holes. They are trying to fortify an already strong closing situation. Smart. Unlike the O's who are always treading water just to stay alive. This way, they can shut the door in the 8th with Britton, and then the 9th with their regular closer. So it's not just insurance against an injury to their main closer; it gives them a double-pronged closing option.

There's no such thing as a perfect team.

The Dodgers are obviously looking to win right now--as you would expect from the team with baseball's best record--and they know Britton won't be cheap. Still, it seems a bit of a risky move for a team with the second-lowest bullpen ERA in baseball as of the All-Star Break. It also doesn't mitigate the fact that even though Britton appears to be rounding into form, he still missed a significant chunk of time with forearm soreness. I'm guessing if Zach were in a walk year, the Dodgers don't even pick up the phone; they're intrigued by the idea of having him under team control for another season.

If the Dodgers are serious, then the Orioles would be smart to use the Chapman and Miller trades last season as bellwethers. For a two-month rental of Chapman, the Cubs gave up four prospects with Gleyber Torres as the highlight piece. For Miller, who had one more year under contract than Britton currently has (and no DL time), the Yankees received a top 30 and a top 100 prospect from Cleveland. I'd say Zach would command something in between the two. 

22 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

There's no such thing as a perfect team.

The Dodgers are obviously looking to win right now--as you would expect from the team with baseball's best record--and they know Britton won't be cheap. Still, it seems a bit of a risky move for a team with the second-lowest bullpen ERA in baseball as of the All-Star Break. It also doesn't mitigate the fact that even though Britton appears to be rounding into form, he still missed a significant chunk of time with forearm soreness. I'm guessing if Zach were in a walk year, the Dodgers don't even pick up the phone; they're intrigued by the idea of having him under team control for another season.

If the Dodgers are serious, then the Orioles would be smart to use the Chapman and Miller trades last season as bellwethers. For a two-month rental of Chapman, the Cubs gave up four prospects with Gleyber Torres as the highlight piece. For Miller, who had one more year under contract than Britton currently has (and no DL time), the Yankees received a top 30 and a top 100 prospect from Cleveland. I'd say Zach would command something in between the two. 

Good lord.