Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marshan Man

6 Suspects in Bakari Henderson Killing in Zakynthos Jailed

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm surprised no one's posted about this.  This is especially disconcerting to me 'cause I'm thinking about going to Greece for my bday next month. Flights are dirt cheap. Roundtrip less than 700.00. Plus a co-worker just came back and was saying how much of a great time she had.

I guess if I go I'd better not ask a waitress to take a selfie with me. :rolleyes: Brutal beating. There's a link to surveillance video footage of it at the bottom of the page I linked to.

Sad story... :( RIP Mr. Henderson.  His family and friends have to be devastated... 

The suspects aged between 18 and 34 — one Greek, seven Serbs and a British citizen of Serb origin — were charged in the July 7 death of the 22-year-old, who was beaten by a group of men outside a bar in Zakynthos’ tourist district of Lagana.

Henderson, of Austin, Texas, had recently graduated from the University of Arizona and was in Greece working on a photo shoot to launch a clothing line, his family says.

Greek police spokesman Theodoros Chronopoulos said the exact cause of the fight was unclear, but that it started shortly after Henderson took a selfie with one of the bar’s waitresses.

6 Suspects in Bakari Henderson Killing in Zakynthos Jailed

Edited by Marshan Man

Really bad. I don't think you should change your plans over this though.

Terrible and appears to be just a unwarranted beat down of a an American tourist.

Best advise is to always watch your butt in a foreign country and don't get so sheet faced that it's impossible to do so.

Not saying he was drunk, but if so that didn't help his cause.

39 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

I'm surprised no one's posted about this.  This is especially disconcerting to me 'cause I'm thinking about going to Greece for my bday next month. Flights are dirt cheap. Roundtrip less than 700.00. Plus a co-worker just came back and was saying how much of a great time she had.

I guess if I go I'd better not ask a waitress to take a selfie with me. :rolleyes: Brutal beating. There's a link to surveillance video footage of it at the bottom of the page I linked to.

Sad story... :( RIP Mr. Henderson.  His family and friends have to be devastated... 

Crazy story. Makes me leery about traveling to Eastern Europe. 

This is a sickening story showing human-kind at its lowest.

May Bakari rest in peace.

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

Crazy story. Makes me leery about traveling to Eastern Europe. 

Why?

1 minute ago, Marshan Man said:

Yikes! Okay, maybe I'll just go to Cedar Point... :( 

I don't want to discourage you. Just be careful. Anything can happen anywhere

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

Attacks on African and Middle Eastern immigrants are somewhat common in that part of Europe. 

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/08/8-worst-countries-black-people-travel/3/

Black American tourists might be mistaken for immigrants 

Laganas in Zante (Zakinthos) is as different from Athens as Miami Beach, Florida is to New York. ;)

Although Greece is Geographically East Europe, it certainly isn't Eastern Europe culturally.

Zante is a lovely Island in the Ionian Sea and well worth a visit although I personally would give Laganas a wide birth, if you're a party animal then go for it.

Edited by WKDWZD

Posted (edited)

I just looked through all the countries. I see China's on there too. As a teenager, I spend a summer there with other classmates, most of whom were black. I can definitely attest to the stares. People would gather and want to touch you.  We went to the beach once and  it caused quite the scene. I felt like a celebrity.

Yes it was annoying at first, but they were just curious. A lot of them have never seen non-Chinese people in person, let alone black people.  I never felt like I was being discriminated against or anything. We were taking Chinese language and culture classes there, with Chinese peers who were our age. The Chinese kids were awesome showing us around and taking us to meet their families. I stayed in contact with a few for a couple years afterwards.

Actually a Sun reporter interviewed us while we were there and we talked about how the stares etc. made us feel.  I still think I might have the clipping from that article. I wonder if there's any way for me to search their archives or something online? Matt do you know??

I still run into a few of my old classmates I went on that trip with. That experience definitely changed my outlook on the world...

Edited by Marshan Man

2 hours ago, soulflower said:

Attacks on African and Middle Eastern immigrants are somewhat common in that part of Europe. 

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/08/8-worst-countries-black-people-travel/3/

Black American tourists might be mistaken for immigrants 

That's a strong possibility.

But it appears all of the perps were either tourist or immigrants themselves so maybe they brought there prejudice with them on vacation.   

27 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

But it appears all of the perps were either tourist or immigrants themselves so maybe they brought there prejudice with them on vacation.   

Yeah.

5 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

better behave yourself and mind your Ps and Qs, "No Sir," "Yes Sir," "Thank you," etc.

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

Yeah, I noticed most of the men were Serbs. So maybe they weren't local to Greece 

Serbia is still Eastern Europe though which is what you cautioned against.

This story reminded me of Emmett Till. Maybe the facts won't ultimately bear that out but that was just my first impression.

4 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

Yikes! Okay, maybe I'll just go to Cedar Point... :( 

I read the lines are horrible.

Just watch out for Serbs in Greece.