Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

CIA Operative - Trump Jr. Meeting Has All the Markings of Russian Intelligence Operation

78 posts in this topic

My read, as someone who has been part of the U.S. intelligence community for more than four decades, is that Veselnitskaya is probably too well-connected to have independently initiated such a high-level and sensitive encounter. If she had, her use of known Trump and Kremlin associates (Aras and Emin Agalarov) to help make introductions and the suggestion, in Goldstone’s account, that she wanted to share “official documents and information” as “part of Russia and its government’s support” for Trump could have gotten her into significant trouble. Her efforts to meet Trump associates would have surely come to the attention of Russian authorities at some point, given Russian government email monitoring and other means of surveillance. The Kremlin would look harshly on someone going rogue in a manner that would surely damage ongoing Russian intelligence operational efforts related to the U.S. presidential campaign.

A better explanation is that Veselnitskaya is far enough removed from Moscow’s halls of power to make her a good fit as an intermediary in an intelligence operation — as a “cut-out” with limited knowledge of the larger scheme and as an “access agent” sent to assess and test a high-priority target’s interest in cooperation. She may have had her own agenda going into the meeting: to lobby against the Magnitsky Act, which happens to impact some of her clients. But her agenda dovetailed with Kremlin interests — and it would have added another layer of plausible deniability. Russian intelligence practice is to co-opt such a person. NewsFriday that she was accompanied by Rinat Akhmetshin, a Russian-American lobbyist who is reportedly suspected of, though denies, having ties to Russian intelligence, further bolsters this reading.

From the Russian perspective, the fact that Trump Jr. agreed to the meeting would have been the first promising sign. That veteran political operative Paul Manafort and senior adviser Jared Kushner showed up with him would have furthered the impression that there was strong interest in Russian assistance (and vulnerability to compromise) on the part of the campaign. But, according to standard espionage tradecraft, the most notable achievement of this encounter lay in the campaign’s failure to report it to the appropriate U.S. authorities — as Russia would have known when there was no immediate, dramatic increase in U.S. counterintelligence scrutiny of its election-related operations.

Rolf Mowatt-Larssen is the director of the Intelligence and Defense Project at Harvard’s Belfer Center. He served for three years as director of intelligence and counterintelligence at the Department of Energy and for 23 years as a CIA intelligence officer in domestic and international posts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/trump-jrs-russia-meeting-sure-sounds-like-a-russian-intelligence-operation/2017/07/14/5f7f3dfe-6762-11e7-9928-22d00a47778f_story.html?utm_term=.e448b4c4160c

Someone will be by shortly to discredit Rolf. 

3 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

Someone will be by shortly to discredit Rolf. 

There are idiots out there trying to suggest that the whole thing was a democratic party set up.

Buffoons

Just now, JoyinMudville said:

There are idiots out there trying to suggest that the whole thing was a democratic party set up.

Buffoons

There are those that will defend the Trump and Junior without question. I believe they will be disappointed Mueller's investigation is over.

the denial runs deep in a lot of people....apparently schools must have stopped teaching about the Cold War......the Russians identified an easy mark and reeled him in....the HRC derangement syndrome is such that people just run to the bright light....

1 minute ago, can you hear me now! said:

the denial runs deep in a lot of people....apparently schools must have stopped teaching about the Cold War......the Russians identified an easy mark and reeled him in....the HRC derangement syndrome is such that people just run to the bright light....

Yea. The Russians played Junior big time. If he had just said no thanks and called Comey, he'd be a hero now.

Well it seems nothing has come of it, so we will have to wait and find out if the Russians hooked a fish, or this is all just another leftie fantasy. 

If it was a Russian spy operation why didn't they actually have any information?

2 minutes ago, HowAreWeGoingToPay said:

Well it seems nothing has come of it, so we will have to wait and find out if the Russians hooked a fish, or this is all just another leftie fantasy. 

If it was a Russian spy operation why didn't they actually have any information?

And you know this how?

1 minute ago, ncbirdfan said:

And you know this how?

Because Donny Jr. said so. You don't think he would.... Oops. Never  mind.

Just now, FatBoy said:

Because Donny Jr. said so. You don't think he would.... Oops. Never  mind.

Well the emails prove that it was just about adoption. :D

4 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

And you know this how?

At the time they had that meeting I don't think that lawyer actually had anything.  I say this because the timeline backs it up, and I also think trump was fully aware of the meeting.

Posted (edited)

Wow! I had thought the Russians have a sophisticated intelligence and espionage system-- we have nothing to worry about, as this operation looks like it was run by the Barney Fife's, if that's typical, we're in great shape! Imagine using this idiot wannabe big shot celebrity agent as your set up man!

Edited by Saticon3

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

And you know this how?

because he and several others on this site fall in to the category of people addressed in this from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2017/07/14/dear-red-state-friends-embracing-russia-is-not-an-act-of-patriotism/

and as a bonus, he likes to act like a two year old constantly asking "Why?".....

Edited by can you hear me now!

That really appears to be the emerging consensus among intelligence professionals. Seems like just yesterday Reince Priebus referred to the meeting as a "nothing burger".

1 minute ago, Saticon3 said:

Wow! I had thought the Russians has a sophisticated intelligence and espionage system-- we have nothing to worry about, as this operation looks like it was run by the Barney Fife's, if that's typical, we're in great shape! Imagine using this idiot wannabe big shot celebrity agent as your set up man!

so inept that jr. has yet to tell the complete truth about the meeting......why don't you just move to Russia and drop the pretense of being an American...

15 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

And you know this how?

Well did the lawyer lie about the meeting content?

12 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

Wow! I had thought the Russians have a sophisticated intelligence and espionage system-- we have nothing to worry about, as this operation looks like it was run by the Barney Fife's, if that's typical, we're in great shape! Imagine using this idiot wannabe big shot celebrity agent as your set up man!

If you read the article in the OP, it kind of explains all that. 

And there is no reason to disparage Barney Fife!!!!! :D

The article is another opinion piece, I can supply a lot of those as well.

26 minutes ago, HowAreWeGoingToPay said:

So, you didn't read the article. Got it.

Do you ever read anything?

4 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

So, you didn't read the article. Got it.

Do you ever read anything?

I read the quoted part, what am I missing about it? Any new smoking guns? Or just a new conspiracy theory?

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, HowAreWeGoingToPay said:

I read the quoted part, what am I missing about it? Any new smoking guns? Or just a new conspiracy theory?

It's amazing what happens when you read. You find the answers to the questions that pose in threads.

You can't seem to wrap your mind around the fact that this isn't a conspiracy theory. Donald Jr admitted he was trying to collude with an adversarial foreign government to subvert a federal election.

Kinda like the way his father admitted to firing the guy leading the investigation into the "Russia thing"

Edited by JoyinMudville

4 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

It's amazing what happens when you read. You find the answers to the questions that pose in threads.

You can't seem to wrap your mind around the fact that this isn't a conspiracy theory. Donald Jr admitted he was trying to collude with an adversarial foreign government to subvert a federal election.

Kinda like the way his father admitted to firing the guy leading the investigation into the "Russia thing"

Well you are stretching the truth, and hurting your argument by miss quoting old Jr. Your bias is showing. 

46 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

since you seem to be flippant about the whole thing, here is a little insight from the CIA on how these types of operations work:

The first line, which is considered the most important, is the so-called diplomatic intelligence, the purpose of which is to keep the Soviet government informed of the secret deals between the governments of capitalistic countries and of the true intentions and contemplated moves of each of these governments toward the Soviet Union. This information is to be procured from primary sources within the secret councils of the foreign governments. The principal sources are the following: foreign diplomats, including ambassadors; the staffs of foreign ministries, including code clerks, secretaries, etc. ; private secretaries to members of the cabinet; members of parliaments; and ambitious politicians seeking financial aid and left wing support. The life history of such officials is studied beginning with their school years, and their character traits, weaknesses and vices, and intimate lives and friendships are analyzed with the purpose of finding the Achilles' heel of each and securing the right approach to him through the right person, say a former classmate, intimate friend, or relative. (emphasis mine)....

These well-prepared approaches have often paid off. Some politicians have been lured into the Soviet network by promises that the Soviet Union would use its secret levers of influence in their countries to further their political fortunes. Such promises have often been accompanied by "subsidies," ostensibly to promote good will toward Russia but in reality a bribe. A number of high officials have succumbed to outright offers of money. Others, especially those who in their youth had belonged to Fabian and other idealistic circles, were influenced by humanitarian arguments and persuaded that they must help the Soviet Union stop the march of fascism. Considerable success was achieved among foreign diplomats tinted with homosexual perversions; it is no secret that the biggest concentration of homosexuals can be found in the diplomatic services of Western countries. Those of these who agreed to work for the Russian network were instructed to approach other homosexual members of the diplomatic corps, a strategy which was remarkably successful. Even when those approached declined the offer to collaborate, they would not denounce the recruiter to the authorities. Soviet intelligence officers were amazed at the mutual consideration and true loyalty which prevailed among homosexuals.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol7no2/html/v07i2a05p_0001.htm

continue to condone the activities of the giant orange snowflake and his progeny as they put the country at risk....

4 hours ago, HowAreWeGoingToPay said:

Well you are stretching the truth, and hurting your argument by miss quoting old Jr. Your bias is showing. 

No... I am not misquoting him. 

6 hours ago, Saticon3 said:

Imagine an idiot wannabe big shot celebrity as your president.