Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OriginalColtsFan

Meet the new 2nd half O's, same as the 2nd half of the first half O's

88 posts in this topic

See, maybe if Buck had chosen to remove the starter after giving up 4 in the 1st, or 6 after 2, the outcome COULD have been different...

Posted (edited)

I cannot figure that move out at all :huh:

Having a guy batting .167 instead of Joseph who's batting .276>>

Edited by DaJellyBelly

The O's are a classic case of mismanagement, from top, to bottom.

24 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

See, maybe if Buck had chosen to remove the starter after giving up 4 in the 1st, or 6 after 2, the outcome COULD have been different...

Right, all his fault, hahahahHahahah

36 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Brach ????

Put Brach on a good team in the seventh or eighth and he's a very good reliever. He's essentially been forced into that ninth-inning role and I don't think he's really cut out for it. He could still bring a nice return if he's moved.

Just now, mdrunning said:

Put Brach on a good team in the seventh or eighth and he's a very good reliever. He's essentially been forced into that ninth-inning role and I don't think he's really cut out for it. He could still bring a nice return if he's moved.

I agree i wonder what the thinking was there 

Especially since the ghost of Toronto he did the opposite 

The silver lining is just maaaaaybe Big Dan will be fired this weekend --- the Cubs are just as bad as us.

35 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Right, all his fault, hahahahHahahah

????????????????????????????

Actually, it IS partly his fault. What is your problem with seeing Showalter's clear limitations?

You're so totally obsessed with your BIG DAN diatribes you can't even see how the manager is ALSO hurting this team.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ravens2006 said:

Absolutely.

And Showalter's lack of feel for pinch hitting is another example of how and why the O's lose close games. The whole thing from top to bottom needs to be shelved and redone.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

15 minutes ago, pitbull said:

The silver lining is just maaaaaybe Big Dan will be fired this weekend --- the Cubs are just as bad as us.

Does that mean Theo Epstein should be fired as well?

History suggests that Duquette will not be fired while he is still under contract. Angelos didn't exactly have cozy relationships with Pat Gillick, Frank Wren or Andy MacPhail. None, however, was fired during the season. If he is ultimately not offered an extension, I could see Dan leaving after this season rather than go into 2018 as a lame duck.

Regardless, Duquette is not getting fired this weekend, next weekend, or two weeks from now with a weekend to be named later. Considering how difficult it is to get top executives to even consent to an interview when the GM position opens up, that seems like the expedient move for the moment.

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

I agree i wonder what the thinking was there 

Especially since the ghost of Toronto he did the opposite 

If the Orioles had taken the lead in the eighth, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Britton go back out for the ninth.

And if anyone was wondering why Kim and/or Smith didn't pinch hit in the ninth, Wade Davis has been absolutely lethal against lefties this season. Still, the alternatives didn't exactly inspire much confidence, either.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ravens2006 said:

If Gausman doesn't develop a third pitch, he's eventually going to be removed from baseball altogether. 

I don't think I've ever seen a regression quite like Gausman's this season. If he had been hurt, then maybe it would be understandable, but he's throwing as hard as he ever has. Difference is, he's getting hammered and just can't seem to locate anything. His BB/9 rate this season is the highest of his career by far at 3.99, whereas he was at 2.35 last season and slightly lower in 2015. My guess is that hitters are sitting dead red against him because they don't fear his secondary pitches, and I don't care how hard you throw, you're not going to get away with a steady diet of fastballs and splitters against major league hitters.

Edited by mdrunning

8 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Absolutely.

And Showalter's lack of feel for pinch hitting is another example of how and why the O's lose close games. The whole thing from top to bottom needs to be shelved and redone.

I'll say it again, THE ORIOLES WILL NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH BUCK AS MANAGER!! He had proven it time and again but some still can't see it!!

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

If Gausman doesn't develop a third pitch, he's eventually going to be removed from baseball altogether. 

I don't think I've ever seen a regression quite like Gausman's this season. If he had been hurt, then maybe it would be understandable, but he's throwing as hard as he ever has. Difference is, he's getting hammered and just can't seem to locate anything. His BB/9 rate this season is the highest of his career by far at 3.99, whereas he was at 2.35 last season and slightly lower in 2015. My guess is that hitters are sitting dead red against him because they don't fear his secondary pitches, and I don't care how hard you throw, you're not going to get away with a steady diet of fastballs and splitters against major league hitters.

Yeah I looked back at last year's numbers and he was actually pretty decent, 3.61 ERA and a WHIP in the 1.2 range.  The only thing you can really point to is the change in the pitching coaches.  I went back and looked at some of Dave Wallace's quotes when he said he was leaving and going back to the Braves to work with their young pitchers.  One of his proud accomplishments was finally getting Gausman to develop the second half of last year.  He said the "light bulb" finally came on for the kid.  Well with Wallaces departure and Chiti being snubbed  from coming back, the light bulb has gone off for most of the pitching staff.  I'm mean really, how do so many guys go backwards if its not somehow related to the pitching coaches.  Thanks Brady!!!

42 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Yeah I looked back at last year's numbers and he was actually pretty decent, 3.61 ERA and a WHIP in the 1.2 range.  The only thing you can really point to is the change in the pitching coaches.  I went back and looked at some of Dave Wallace's quotes when he said he was leaving and going back to the Braves to work with their young pitchers.  One of his proud accomplishments was finally getting Gausman to develop the second half of last year.  He said the "light bulb" finally came on for the kid.  Well with Wallaces departure and Chiti being snubbed  from coming back, the light bulb has gone off for most of the pitching staff.  I'm mean really, how do so many guys go backwards if its not somehow related to the pitching coaches.  Thanks Brady!!!

They better pay that electric for Julio in ATL

18 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

They better pay that electric for Julio in ATL

?????  Not sure what u are saying, but Wallace and Chiti are not the major league pitching coaches in ATL. Check the O's pitching numbers from 2014-2016 against 2017.  Wallace and Chiti turned DD's water into wine, LOL!!!   ANd how does DD repay them?  He sides with Brady and disses them on the way out the door.!!  DD is a moron when it comes to anything related to pitching.  And Brady is clueless as well. 

41 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

?????  Not sure what u are saying, but Wallace and Chiti are not the major league pitching coaches in ATL. Check the O's pitching numbers from 2014-2016 against 2017.  Wallace and Chiti turned DD's water into wine, LOL!!!   ANd how does DD repay them?  He sides with Brady and disses them on the way out the door.!!  DD is a moron when it comes to anything related to pitching.  And Brady is clueless as well. 

Where are Wallace and Chiti now 

Also shows how sad things are when we debate over PC who sucked prior to Roger

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

????????????????????????????

Actually, it IS partly his fault. What is your problem with seeing Showalter's clear limitations?

You're so totally obsessed with your BIG DAN diatribes you can't even see how the manager is ALSO hurting this team.

?????

Apparently you don't read anything I post here.

Any pitcher in Major League Baseball that has been as bad on a consistent basis as Gausman this year should be demoted, yesterday.

If that is Showalter's fault, please explain.

Edited by pitbull

1 hour ago, pitbull said:

?????

Any pitcher in Major League Baseball that has been as bad on a consistent basis as Gausman this year should be demoted, yesterday.

Your "readings" are the talk of MLB. How could he have missed them? :D

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, pitbull said:

?????

Apparently your reading/comprehension skills are about on a par with your general overall baseball awareness. Who else OTHER than the manager has the power to remove a pitcher who has gone beyond his stinky beer expiration date?

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

9 hours ago, joe cool said:

I'll say it again, THE ORIOLES WILL NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH BUCK AS MANAGER!! He had proven it time and again but some still can't see it!!

Yup. I quoted you in another thread. I agree with you that Showalter has hit his ceiling. And for some reason, a lot of other posters seem to disagree. Oh well. I guess that's what message boards are for.

18 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I have a hard time these days not being very suspicious that the McDowell move has been a bad fit in some way.  I know he's had success before, but sometimes a guy's philosophy just might not fit the talent at hand very well, while it might have been a better fit for others.  Gausman had a 3.77 ERA and a 1.27 WHIP over the previous three seasons.  That's not ace stuff, and he's been prone to the occasional brain cramp that quickly ruins a good outing... but that's at least respectable, "Gave his team a chance to win" most nights performance.  The entire starting staff is a train wreck right now compared to last year / past performance.  And I say that while acknowledging they logged 84 starts last year combined between pitchers who posted the following ERAs:  5.44, 5.42, 5.27, 5.79, and 6.17.   At least you had Tillman, Gausman, and later on Bundy pitching to a 4 / sub-4 ERA.

Wieters is gone, a guy who many thought didn't call a good game anyway, and McDowell is here... not convinced there isn't SOME correlation there...

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Apparently your reading/comprehension skills are about on a par with your general overall baseball awareness. Who else OTHER than the manager has the power to remove a pitcher who has gone beyond his stinky beer expiration date?

You were close to having no credibility here and now you have officially crossed that threshold. Good luck. 

1 minute ago, pitbull said:

You were close to having no credibility here and now you have officially crossed that threshold. Good luck. 

As Ken would say...Oh, the irony.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

I have a hard time these days not being very suspicious that the McDowell move has been a bad fit in some way.  I know he's had success before, but sometimes a guy's philosophy just might not fit the talent at hand very well, while it might have been a better fit for others.  Gausman had a 3.77 ERA and a 1.27 WHIP over the previous three seasons.  That's not ace stuff, and he's been prone to the occasional brain cramp that quickly ruins a good outing... but that's at least respectable, "Gave his team a chance to win" most nights performance.  The entire starting staff is a train wreck right now compared to last year / past performance.  And I say that while acknowledging they logged 84 starts last year combined between pitchers who posted the following ERAs:  5.44, 5.42, 5.27, 5.79, and 6.17.   At least you had Tillman, Gausman, and later on Bundy pitching to a 4 / sub-4 ERA.

Wieters is gone, a guy who many thought didn't call a good game anyway, and McDowell is here... not convinced there isn't SOME correlation there...

That's an interesting theory, but pitching coaches basically preach the same basic things. Probably the biggest part of their job is to gain the pitchers' trust and make themselves available for help. Coaches don't dictate, they just offer advice and suggestions. Plus, coaches tend to move from team to team over the course of their careers (like Wallace and Kranitz) and I wonder how much positive or negative impact they have on their new clubs. Hell, the Orioles even provided Ubaldo with a personal pitching coach--Ramon Martinez--and the numbers say it hasn't made much of a difference.

Another theory I've come across is the presence of Wellington Castillo and the collective improvement of Arizona's staff now that he's gone. The only problem there is the fact that Castillo and Caleb have caught roughly the same amount of games to this point, and there's no marked improvement with Caleb behind the plate.

I think in the end, it comes down to the players themselves. I doubt if Roger McDowell is telling Gausman to groove a fastball or hang a slider, no more than Scott Coolbaugh is instructing Chris Davis to take a fastball right down the middle or Adam Jones to swing at a curve that bounces two feet in front of the plate. I'd say the common thread, more often than not, is these guys simply are who they are.

Edited by mdrunning