Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Just Think, If Big Dan Duquette Would Have Done His Job...

30 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Before this season I would have disagreed.  But with the continued starting of Ubaldo tells me Buck needs to go unless he has no control over his starters.

He has the final say, that's why UJ is still here. DD tried to release him, but Buck overrode his decision. I just don't think Buck makes good pitching decisions. He obviously let his love of UJ the person, influence his decision on UJ the pitcher. I saw an article somewhere, in which the writer mentioned the O's starters' ERA is 6.02. There have only been 2 teams in this century, to finish the season with a rotation ERA of 6.00 or higher. One of the other teams was the 2003 Rangers. Buck managed that Rangers team. 

41 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Before this season I would have disagreed.  But with the continued starting of Ubaldo tells me Buck needs to go unless he has no control over his starters.

Me too. I accepted Buck's "quirks" and thought at the start of the season that he really did manage to make the most out of what he had. The players seemed to overachieve, IMO, for him, and that's all you can really ask of a manager. And I fully expected to see improvements in both hitting and pitching. I accepted that the injuries to the team's opening day starting pitcher and closer were the reasons the team began floundering. But as the season progressed, and I saw the same old hitting problems and the near total deterioration of the pitching staff, along with Buck's quirks, I now feel it's time for a total overhaul of the team, from top to bottom. It's clearly not all Buck's fault. And maybe it's not even mainly his fault. But he is, IMO, part of the problem.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

14 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Me too. I accepted Buck's "quirks" and thought at the start of the season that he really did manage to make the most out of what he had. The players seemed to overachieve, IMO, for him, and that's all you can really ask of a manager. And I fully expected to see improvements in both hitting and pitching. I accepted that the injuries to the team's opening day starting pitcher and closer were the reasons the team began floundering. But as the season progressed, and I saw the same old hitting problems and the near total deterioration of the pitching staff, along with Buck's quirks, I now feel it's time for a total overhaul of the team, from top to bottom. It's clearly not all Buck's fault. And maybe it's not even mainly his fault. But he is, IMO, part of the problem.

I'd still be shocked to see any major overhauls of this team. Given that the post 2018 turnover rate will be so big, I'm guessing the owner will want to keep the band together for one more tour. 

37 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I'd still be shocked to see any major overhauls of this team. Given that the post 2018 turnover rate will be so big, I'm guessing the owner will want to keep the band together for one more tour. 

We'll see.

45 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Which is why we're essentially looking to move spare parts. Britton is a FA...so you can always trade him and then try to bring him back like the Yankees did last year.

Edited by Pickle20