Calamari

Texas Proves that Defunding Family Planning Services Actually Leads to More Abortions

109 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, jdsample said:

It sounds like a model progressives will want to follow. 

Too bad then that the conservatives beat them to it.

Edited by mrsmlh

34 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Not that I'm aware of, just based on family and friends who live there.

I lived there while in grad school & we attended a church regularly, and I don't recall the topic of birth control or abortion ever coming up in church.  Later I lived in Arkansas, I experienced the same thing. I would guess it might come up in Catholic Churches, although they are not so common in Texas as they are in the North East.  

The churches in Arkansas were more concerned with keeping alcohol sales out of the county (except the country club, of course) and formed an unholy alliance with liquor stores in the adjacent counties to defeat the idea whenever it came up. 

43 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Too bad then that the conservatives beat them to it.

The Law of Unintended Consequences rules supreme in politics. Look at Obamacare?  Did anyone intend it to turn out this way?

I lived there while in grad school & we attended a church regularly, and I don't recall the topic of birth control or abortion ever coming up in church.  Later I lived in Arkansas, I experienced the same thing. I would guess it might come up in Catholic Churches, although they are not so common in Texas as they are in the North East.  

The churches in Arkansas were more concerned with keeping alcohol sales out of the county (except the country club, of course) and formed an unholy alliance with liquor stores in the adjacent counties to defeat the idea whenever it came up. 

Actually all the friends and family in Texas are non-Catholic Christians.  At least one is a minister and pastor of his church.

2 minutes ago, jdsample said:

The Law of Unintended Consequences rules supreme in politics. Look at Obamacare?  Did anyone intend it to turn out this way?

Nope - the Republicans wanted it to fail so they could say they had no part in it even though it was their own ideas and then say that their plan is better even though they had no other plan and the Democrats wanted it to fail so they could get single payer.  

4 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Nope - the Republicans wanted it to fail so they could say they had no part in it even though it was their own ideas and then say that their plan is better even though they had no other plan and the Democrats wanted it to fail so they could get single payer.  

That will be a tough sell, blaming a bill crafted entirely by Democrats, that was not supported by any Republicans, on those Republicans.  Barry owns that blunder.  I'm not surprised the Republicans find the topic radioactive and many are wary that modifying it or replacing it will transfer ownership of this fiasco to the GOP.

That will be a tough sell, blaming a bill crafted entirely by Democrats, that was not supported by any Republicans, on those Republicans.  Barry owns that blunder.  I'm not surprised the Republicans find the topic radioactive and many are wary that modifying it or replacing it will transfer ownership of this fiasco to the GOP.

It started as a Republican idea but when the Democrats picked it up, the Republicans dropped it like a hot potato and tried to do everything in their power to keep it from being successful.  

5 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

It started as a Republican idea but when the Democrats picked it up, the Republicans dropped it like a hot potato and tried to do everything in their power to keep it from being successful.  

You can say it was a Republican idea (I assume you are referring to Massachusetts Romney care), but who is responsible for foisting it on all Americans? 

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, jdsample said:

You can say it was a Republican idea (I assume you are referring to Massachusetts Romney care), but who is responsible for foisting it on all Americans? 

No not referring to Romney Care.  I think it was the Heritage Foundation who first drafted the ACA for the Republicans but when Obama and the Democrats decided it was good the Republicans dropped it.   My family and several others I know are very glad that the Democrats did improve the health insurance coverage for a lot of people.

In any case, none of this has anything to do with the thread topic.  

It has been nice having a pleasant conversation with you.  

Edited by mrsmlh

48 minutes ago, jdsample said:

The bill was based largely on ideas by the Heratige Foundations that the GOP was pushing until 2008

22 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

No not referring to Romney Care.  I think it was the Heritage Foundation who first drafted the ACA for the Republicans but when Obama and the Democrats decided it was good the Republicans dropped it.   My family and several others I know are very glad that the Democrats did improve the health insurance coverage for a lot of people.

In any case, none of this has anything to do with the thread topic.  

It has been nice having a pleasant conversation with you.  

Yes, it has.  We can disagree in a most agreeable way.  ;)

On 7/15/2017 at 6:40 PM, Manny said:

Why do you people celebrate abortion like it's such a great thing?

I just like killing babies. The more the better.

22 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

So you are OK with aborting kids because they have a defect?

Yes. Don't pretend to be offended when you are comfortable slaughtering healthy babies.

14 hours ago, FatBoy said:

I just like killing babies. The more the better.

Many of you people use abortion for convenience or birth control. That makes you evil people.

On 7/16/2017 at 6:36 PM, mrsmlh said:

Nothing to do with family planning services because parents will not take their teenage kids to such a place but with the abstinence only teaching in most Texas churches

Public schools in Texas teach sex education which includes using different methods for birth control. Don't blame churches, kids are just naturally reckless. 

Edited by flyboy56

5 minutes ago, Manny said:

Many of you people use abortion for convenience or birth control. That makes you evil people.

I've had three of four abortions myself. 

3 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Public schools in Texas teach sex education which includes using birth control. 

"AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — More than four-fifths of school districts offer no sex education or only teach abstinence in Texas, which has one of the country's highest teen birth rates, according to a study released Tuesday."

Link

3 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Public schools in Texas teach sex education which includes using different methods for birth control. Don't blame churches, kids are just naturally reckless. 

Not blaming churches per se as much as the parents who only push the abstinence because of their church's stance but the fact that they put a lot of emphasis on abstinence and because teenagers are naturally reckless they do not pay much attention to abstinence talk

34 minutes ago, Manny said:

Who is 'you people'?

1 hour ago, Manny said:

Yes. Don't pretend to be offended when you are comfortable slaughtering healthy babies.

I am fine with it being a persons choice even though I could never be a party to that barbaric practice. Seems a bit like you favor getting rid of those with defects.

1 hour ago, Manny said:

Hey you favor killing the kids with defects

1 hour ago, flyboy56 said:

Not all of them do.

5 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

Not blaming churches per se as much as the parents who only push the abstinence because of their church's stance but the fact that they put a lot of emphasis on abstinence and because teenagers are naturally reckless they do not pay much attention to abstinence talk

Kids don't need parents to tell them to use other birth control methods. I came from a Catholic family and started having sex when I was 15. I could buy condoms at any drug store no questions asked. We all learn early on how babies are made. Let's not put the blame on churches, parents or schools, but right where it should be and that is on the kids. 

55 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Kids don't need parents to tell them to use other birth control methods. I came from a Catholic family and started having sex when I was 15. I could buy condoms at any drug store no questions asked. We all learn early on how babies are made. Let's not put the blame on churches, parents or schools, but right where it should be and that is on the kids. 

If boys can buy condoms so easily, how come it is only the girls who get blamed even though they cannot buy birth control OTC.