gonzoliberal

Is showing Elizabeth Warren in a 'Native American' headress racist?

359 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gonzoliberal said:

Images have multiple meanings.

Are the images on the internets showing Senator Elizabeth Warren with a photoshopped 'Native American' headdress 'racist'?

Do they meet the standard definitions of the word?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

We've dealt with this before when certain members of 'the right' used images of the Obamas as monkeys or apes.  Those images were determined to be baldly racist.

Native Americans are one of the least respected minorities in the nation.

Women, as a class, though not a minority, come close in demonstrated contempt.

With attitudes such as these, 'Equality' seems a long, long way off.

By the lines:

These are Photoshopped....did she PAY someone to do it? Not likely.

I did a google on her ethnaticity....unless she does a DNA test....that is up for debate forever. I dunno, I guess I would like to know....fur sure. But....I can sort of see her point of not....simply because some else is demanding it....it is called principle.

ONE HUNDRED NO MAKE THAT A THOUSAND PERCENT BEHIND YOU on the Native Americans. As I say to my wife all the time 'Yah know dear.....blacks feel they got screwed by being dragged to the US....got that.....the Native Americans got ROYALLY screwed....not only did they have their lands taken away.....but much like the Africans....they got 'dragged' from there homelands to a 'foreign' one.  And on top of that got NO where the restitution's.

Ohhhhh and for the record  Coolidge and Roosevelt wore headdresses (they didn't have photoshops back then) and check out all the other images....

https://www.google.com/#q=images+of+presidents+wearing+indian+headdress

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

And on top of that got NO where the restitution's.

They aren't whiners and criers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smokey 1 said:

They aren't whiners and criers. 

The term stoic comes to mind.

sto·ic
ˈstōik/
noun
noun: stoic; plural noun: stoics; noun: Stoic; plural noun: Stoics
  1. 1.
    a person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.

BTW I updated my previous post you may want to read it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

By the lines:

These are Photoshopped....did she PAY someone to do it? Not likely.

I did a google on her ethnaticity....unless she does a DNA test....that is up for debate forever. I dunno, I guess I would like to know....fur sure. But....I can sort of see her point of not....simply because some else is demanding it....it is called principle.

ONE HUNDRED NO MAKE THAT A THOUSAND PERCENT BEHIND YOU on the Native Americans. As I say to my wife all the time 'Yah know dear.....blacks feel they got screwed by being dragged to the US....got that.....the Native Americans got ROYALLY screwed....not only did they have their lands taken away.....but much like the Africans....they got 'dragged' from there homelands to a 'foreign' one.  And on top of that got NO where the restitution's.

Ohhhhh and for the record  Coolidge and Roosevelt wore headdresses (they didn't have photoshops back then) and check out all the other images....

https://www.google.com/#q=images+of+presidents+wearing+indian+headdress

What "restitutions" did blacks get?

And what would you call all the native American casinos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

What "restitutions" did blacks get?

And what would you call all the native American casinos?

Line one.....answer..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparations_for_slavery_debate_in_the_United_States

Also let us not forget; welfare, medicaid, food stamps, supplemented or free housing, preferential hiring practices, preferential acceptance to colleges (called quotas)   and so on. And yah Ms. I get that non-blacks benefited also....but proportionally and percentage wise.....they won on that one.

Oh and after the Civil War.....they were offered tickets back to Africa....few takers.

Were the American Indians given their land back....ahhh nope....and they are hustled off there 'so called territory' to make way for oil pipelines.  Sorry .... the casino thing ....while good.....is a red herring and one of the few perks that they got vs blacks.

OH and I almost forgot.....the Native American Indian was pretty much getting screwed the minute the first European settlers set foot on this continent. Lets see....Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.

According to this.....slaves were not brought in till 1600 and they were Caribbean initially.... not African.

You can read the rest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_colonial_United_States

While I think it sucks that black slaves were brought over (and not without the help of African Warlords that sold off defeated tribes to white traders) . I think the Native Americans have a lot more 'owed' to them.

IMHO

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

What "restitutions" did blacks get?

And what would you call all the native American casinos?

Geez, I hope you're joking about the casinos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Maybe not racist but she used it to her advantage .....

That is incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Line one.....answer..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparations_for_slavery_debate_in_the_United_States

Also let us not forget; welfare, medicaid, food stamps, supplemented or free housing, preferential hiring practices, preferential acceptance to colleges (called quotas)   and so on. And yah Ms. I get that non-blacks benefited also....but proportionally and percentage wise.....they won on that one.

Oh and after the Civil War.....they were offered tickets back to Africa....few takers. Were the American Indians given their land back. Sorry .... the casino thing ....while good.....is a red herring and one of the few perks that they got vs blacks.

OH and I almost forgot.....the Native American Indian was pretty much getting screwed the minute the first European settlers set foot on this continent. Lets see....Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.

According to this.....slaves were not brought in till 1600 and they were Caribbean initially.... not African.

You can read the rest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_colonial_United_States

While I think it sucks that black slaves were brought over (and not without the help of African Warlords that sold off defeated tribes to white traders) . I think the Native Americans have a lot more 'owed' to them.

IMHO

This is embarrassing. You really do hate Black people, don't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, veritas said:

Racism is the last refuge for those without any real points to make. 

Yes.  But you still support him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, demopublican said:

Yes.  But you still support him

I support many of the aims he has.  I don't always support his approach.  I've said many times he should stay off Twitter completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, veritas said:

I support many of the aims he has.  I don't always support his approach.  I've said many times he should stay off Twitter completely.

He should stay off microphones, telephones, in person communications, basically everything.  Just resign and let a grown up run the Govt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, hst2 said:

This is embarrassing. You really do hate Black people, don't you?

Ahhhhh no....nothing further from the truth.

I hate ALL USELESS, NONE PRODUCTIVE, IT IS NOT MY FAULT PEOPLE. Black and white or whatever. Unfortunately as we see in BC.....they seem to tip the scale.

So in the context of these forums....if it is constanly    a black thug did this.....a black women had her 5th child by a 5th sperm donor and so on.....well the pattern is hard to avoid.

BTW HST question. How many Native Americans have been arrested for use of a gun in a crime. Or a person of interest?

So bottom line, I like black people that adhere to normal social norms and I even have compassion for those that may have slipped off the path a bit....give then a second chance. That's fine.

I think what you are missing ....and not just me....but overall.... is that you equate any comment about blacks as to mean ALL BLACKS. That is your Achilles heel. And to be candid....it is not just you.

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

Ahhhhh no....nothing further from the truth.

I hate ALL USELESS, NONE PRODUCTIVE, IT IS NOT MY FAULT PEOPLE. Black and white or whatever. Unfortunately as we see in BC.....they seem to tip the scale.

So in the context of these forums....if it is constanly    a black thug did this.....a black women had her 5th child by a 5th sperm donor and so on.....well the pattern is hard to avoid.

BTW HST question. How many Native Americans have been arrested for use of a gun in a crime. Or a person of interest?

So bottom line, I like black people that adhere to normal social norms and I even have compassion for those that may have slipped off the path a bit....give then a second chance. That's fine.

I think what you are missing ....and not just me....but overall.... is that you equate any comment about blacks as to mean ALL BLACKS. That is your Achilles heel.

Maybe you should get out of BC because it is really warping your impression of blacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hst2 said:

It is very disrespectful to Native Americans,

"Trump’s very use of Pocahontas’ name is disrespectful. The story of Pocahontas is heart-wrenching. Toward the end of her life she left her people, went to England, contracted a disease and died at a very young age. When I think of that story — and the hundreds of sad and disturbing stories of how Native people have suffered throughout history, I can’t imagine making a mockery of their names or their lives. In my culture, we have deep respect for our relatives who have gone before us. It would be an utter disgrace to carry on as Donald Trump has about a Native woman whose life was cut short in a terrible way."

And intended to dehumanize her. This is sort of an amusing observation:

"Trump’s comments may be racist against Native Americans, but he’s using it here to sarcastically suggest that Warren really isn’t Native American. (Which, oddly enough, proves that Trump can also be racist while trying to insult someone for being white.)"

Link

It's interesting to note that the majority of the diseases especially sexually transmitted weren't present in America until Europeans arrived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, veritas said:

I'll answer it.  The answer is an emphatic NO.  The picture isn't speaking about Native Americans but about Warren's silly contention. The only thing that can be predicted is your narrow, tortured view of everything through the prism of racism.

why is it silly? If she claims she has some native American ancestry, why is that a problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mrsmlh said:

Maybe you should get out of BC because it is really warping your impression of blacks.

I guess you really didn't get what I stated. To summarize; I have absolutely no problem with blacks that adhere to 'social norms'...I do have problems with black thugs and even lower class blacks ...evenif given the opportunity to improve themselves FLAT OUT FAIL

In BC they have set up many many programs .....to help people get 'skills'....there was an article in the Sun not to far back....a program for mechanics.... I forget the exact numbers but each class held about 20. About 2 weeks into the program 1/2 were AWOL.

Just doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, veritas said:

Racism is the last refuge for those without any real points to make.  Call your opponent a racist and make him deny it rather than address the topic.  Leftism 101.

the truth is the best defense...and in this case the picture in question is racist.....would you like to name the racists who have aligned themselves with trump?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoyinMudville said:

why is it silly? If she claims she has some native American ancestry, why is that a problem?

Just another scab for the Trumpheads to pick at. Another shiny object to deflect from the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, can you hear me now! said:

the truth is the best defense...and in this case the picture in question is racist.....would you like to name the racists who have aligned themselves with trump?

Seems like you would need several pages on this forum to list them all.

I'll start with Bannon

Oh and another few pages for elitists (1%ers) that are trying desperately to drag us back to pre-union wages and benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Line one.....answer..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparations_for_slavery_debate_in_the_United_States

Also let us not forget; welfare, medicaid, food stamps, supplemented or free housing, preferential hiring practices, preferential acceptance to colleges (called quotas)   and so on. And yah Ms. I get that non-blacks benefited also....but proportionally and percentage wise.....they won on that one.

Oh and after the Civil War.....they were offered tickets back to Africa....few takers.

Were the American Indians given their land back....ahhh nope....and they are hustled off there 'so called territory' to make way for oil pipelines.  Sorry .... the casino thing ....while good.....is a red herring and one of the few perks that they got vs blacks.

OH and I almost forgot.....the Native American Indian was pretty much getting screwed the minute the first European settlers set foot on this continent. Lets see....Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.

According to this.....slaves were not brought in till 1600 and they were Caribbean initially.... not African.

You can read the rest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_colonial_United_States

While I think it sucks that black slaves were brought over (and not without the help of African Warlords that sold off defeated tribes to white traders) . I think the Native Americans have a lot more 'owed' to them.

IMHO

Native americans were subjected to genocide as official government policy as well. Blacks never experienced genocide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

why is it silly? If she claims she has some native American ancestry, why is that a problem?

I wonder how many people are lying about their ancestry based on what a great-grandparent or grandparent has told them; on stories handed down from generation to generation.

When we adopted our daughter many years ago, we were told that she was 1/2 German, 1/4 French and 1/4 Native American.  She recently had an Ancestry.com DNA test and was told that she is French and Russian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Native americans were subjected to genocide as official government policy as well. Blacks never experienced genocide.

Thank you for bringing that up.... I totally overlooked that.

For the nay sayers....Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee .....to begin with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bury_My_Heart_at_Wounded_Knee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mrsmlh said:

I wonder how many people are lying about their ancestry based on what a great-grandparent or grandparent has told them; on stories handed down from generation to generation.

When we adopted our daughter many years ago, we were told that she was 1/2 German, 1/4 French and 1/4 Native American.  She recently had an Ancestry.com DNA test and was told that she is French and Russian.

You sound like the ads on TV.....I thought I was German... I used to wear a Lederhosen ... then I had the DNA test....now I wear a kilt.

Question: Would you mind telling me how much it costs for the test?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Seems like you would need several pages on this forum to list them all.

I'll start with Bannon

Oh and another few pages for elitists (1%ers) that are trying desperately to drag us back to pre-union wages and benefits.

it gets tiresome having a bunch of trump supporters denying reality and then acting as if those of us who live in reality have a problem...there is really nothing you can do except laugh at them and their desperation....the tribalism of party over country apparently comes with an agreement to turn off your brain...as an example, see birfers....

Edited by can you hear me now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now