gonzoliberal

Is showing Elizabeth Warren in a 'Native American' headress racist?

359 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, veritas said:

If Warren is making the claim, she should step up to the plate and have a DNA test.  I suspect she's about as native American as I am.

What difference does it make?

Just now, hst2 said:

None in the big picture but neither does the photo of her in the headdress.  However, if she wants to present herself a certain way, it should have some truth to it, don't you think?

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, veritas said:

If Warren is making the claim, she should step up to the plate and have a DNA test.  I suspect she's about as native American as I am.

I wish you knew anything about DNA testing.

Edited by Calamari

10 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Why?  If it was me, I would say screw you, prove I'm not Native American.

And I'm sure that's the exact standard you hold for Trump, too, right?

3 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Probably true.....like you he only hated white people. :lol:

No surprise your hero is a divinely inspired, cold-blooded, mass murdering, terrorist madman.....no surprise at all.

It's pretty funny in a discussion involving slavery and genocide that one guy who fought for freedom is denigrated.

The weirdness of our white heritage causes some strange turns.

Just now, Calamari said:

I wish you knew anything about DNA testing.

I wish you knew when to go away.

Just now, hst2 said:

It's pretty funny in a discussion involving slavery and genocide that one guy who fought for freedom is denigrated.

The weirdness of our white heritage causes some strange turns.

Your hero is a murderer and insurrectionist.  Somehow, that's OK.

3 minutes ago, veritas said:

None in the big picture but neither does the photo of her in the headdress.  However, if she wants to present herself a certain way, it should have some truth to it, don't you think?

She believes it and explained why. Why isn't that enough?

I think if you really believed that characterization of her as Pocahontas wasn't racist, you would discuss that, and not harp on whether or not you think she is a liar, or willing to confront the truth. That's more of a personal issue that seems easy enough for the rest of us to let go.

It's just right-wing rabble.

1 minute ago, veritas said:

Your hero is a murderer and insurrectionist.  Somehow, that's OK.

He gave as good as he got. And he was a freedom fighter. 

I know, you believe slavery should have been ended through a vote.  Although, if it was you living in chains, I'm skeptical you would have supported such a cautious approach.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Mighty convenient isn't it?  Of course, she won't take a test once the amount of Native American DNA in the testing company databases is much larger, either.  She may as well claim that Sitting Bull was her great, great, Grandpa.

Edited by veritas

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, hst2 said:

She believes it and explained why. Why isn't that enough?

I think if you really believed that characterization of her as Pocahontas wasn't racist, you would discuss that, and not harp on whether or not you think she is a liar, or willing to confront the truth. That's more of a personal issue that seems easy enough for the rest of us to let go.

It's just right-wing rabble.

You'd say it was racist regardless of what name was used.  Clinging to the Pocahontas story is just a convenient platform for your whining and white bashing.

Edited by veritas

15 minutes ago, veritas said:

And I'm sure that's the exact standard you hold for Trump, too, right?

For what, is he claiming to be part Native American too?

7 minutes ago, veritas said:

Mighty convenient isn't it?  Of course, she won't take a test once the amount of Native American DNA in the testing company databases is much larger, either.  She may as well claim that Sitting Bull was her great, great, Grandpa.

I think it is funny that her claiming to be part Native American has you right wingers so upset.  

29 minutes ago, veritas said:

Oh, she doesn't claim to be part Native American?  Do tell.

The topic is the headress racist, even you should understand that, but then again perhaps you don't.  That "creation" is your side's immature handiwork, deal with it.  

13 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

I think it is funny that her claiming to be part Native American has you right wingers so upset.  

It's a red herring... a deflection from the racism being challenged in the OP.

2 minutes ago, gonzoliberal said:

It's a red herring... a deflection from the racism being challenged in the OP.

Yeah, the simple fact is that Trump is a demagogue and thus, will say things that appeal more to emotion than to thought. And while some people might wish he quit tweeting, they don't mind defending his demagoguery.

42 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Only in government and employment where racial preferences are given.  Then it makes a difference. 

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

For what, is he claiming to be part Native American too?

I meant for anything.   If Trump claims something and someone questions it, he should just say screw you and tell them to prove it's not true, right?  I mean, that's good enough for Warren so you should accept it from Trump.

Edited by veritas

23 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

It just shows the lengths the wacko left will go to to identify with their victim groups.  See Rachel Dolezal.

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, EGoldstein said:

The topic is the headress racist, even you should understand that, but then again perhaps you don't.  That "creation" is your side's immature handiwork, deal with it.  

Yes, the left has never done such a thing to Trump, Bush, fill in the blank.  Unreal. Oh, and I addressed the topic.  You just don't like the answer.

Edited by veritas

I meant for anything.   If Trump claims something and someone questions it, he should just say screw you and tell them to prove it's not true, right?  I mean, that's good enough for Warren so you should accept it from Trump.

He does that already.  He lies, gets caught lying, lies again.  It's just that you believe everything out of the man's mouth regardless of whether it is the truth or not.

Yes, the left has never done such a thing to Trump, Bush, fill in the blank.  Unreal. Oh, and I addressed the topic.  You just don't like the answer.

Then start a thread on Trump or Bush if it bothers you so.  Then you can address the topic of your own choosing.     

1 hour ago, mrsmlh said:

Was a DNA test ever done on Elizabeth Warren to prove that she isn't part Native American?   

I wonder how many right wingers who are complaining about her ancestry are lying about their own without even knowing it.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/03/sen-warrens-challenger-sends-her-dna-test/

Her Senate challenger offered her a free DNA test. She refused. Why?

Edited by volperdinger
Bad link

10 hours ago, hst2 said:

It is very disrespectful to Native Americans,

"Trump’s very use of Pocahontas’ name is disrespectful. The story of Pocahontas is heart-wrenching. Toward the end of her life she left her people, went to England, contracted a disease and died at a very young age. When I think of that story — and the hundreds of sad and disturbing stories of how Native people have suffered throughout history, I can’t imagine making a mockery of their names or their lives. In my culture, we have deep respect for our relatives who have gone before us. It would be an utter disgrace to carry on as Donald Trump has about a Native woman whose life was cut short in a terrible way."

And intended to dehumanize her. This is sort of an amusing observation:

"Trump’s comments may be racist against Native Americans, but he’s using it here to sarcastically suggest that Warren really isn’t Native American. (Which, oddly enough, proves that Trump can also be racist while trying to insult someone for being white.)"

Link

It is intended to be disrespectful to Elizaneth Warren. Which in my opinion is wonderful. Take a powder professor. Caricatures of Trump and various other Republicans flood the internet every day. It is the world we live in. As Veritas has pointed out, she has made her bed. The caricatures of Warren are a direct result of her trying to use the native American ploy to enhance her career. Caught in a lie (or a claim that she cannot substantiate) she deserves to be mocked for it. She is the one who disrepsected true native Americans by her actions.