gonzoliberal

Is showing Elizabeth Warren in a 'Native American' headress racist?

359 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Phineas Finn said:

Of course it's racist -- but those who claim that it's not will also claim that they're not -- both are lies.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/politicians/warren.asp

So anyone who doesn't agree with your (and hst2's) definition of "racist" must be one. How very tolerant of you. Typical of the progressive left. If one disagrees with you, one is a racist, a bigot, a sexist, a xenophobe, and probably likes to drown kittens as well. SMH

6 hours ago, demopublican said:

There have been multiple waves of immigration.

The leading theory about the origin of native Americans is that they crossed over from Asia when there was a land bridge. Has that theory been debunked, or is just on hold for the purpose of this discussion? :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Another righty with no clue about DNA testing.

It's like they don't even read each other's posts that get refuted, they just repeat the same old crap.

I read your post, and those that followed. A geneologist from Stanford - yep, I am quite sure such a person will support anything that a progressive would say. I say bunk, to that geneologist, and to you. Warren is a phony. 

No one is going to change anyone's mind on this - the right will continue to chastise Warren for repeating her family's history that she is part Native American because Scott Brown and Trump told them too and the left will continue to call them racist even though they aren't racist just followers.

24 minutes ago, Papi said:

But in her case it could be proven (or disproven). All she has to do is go to ancestrydna.com and they will send her the swab kit for a nominal fee. She can certainly afford it. The fact that she will not do that suggests to me that she does not think it will substantiate her claim. That she used that claim for personal benefit makes it a topic worthy of discussion, and if indeed it cannot be substantiated then it makes her a valid target for criticism. She is as much of a racial phony as Rachel Dolezal, who also used her false racial identity for personal gain (to be employed by the NAACP). That basic level of dishonesty in a person bothers me. It should bother anyone, but she is given a pass by those who like her poltical leanings.  

Substitute a few words, and omit a few others and we are talking predisent bonzo's tax returns...

But in his case it could be proven (or disproven). All he has to do is go to The Media and they will publish them for a nominal fee...FREE. He can certainly afford it. The fact that he will not do that suggests to me that he does not think it will substantiate his claim (of no emoluments). That he used that claim for personal benefit makes it a topic worthy of discussion, and if indeed it cannot be substantiated then it makes him a valid target for criticism. He is as much of a phony as Harding, who also used his Office for personal gain (to be employed by the U.S. Government). That basic level of dishonesty in a person bothers me. It should bother anyone, but he is given a pass by those who like his poltical leanings.  

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

How would some people on here feel if a photo appeared of her in a Redskins jersey .???

Being from New England, such a photo might cost her the Senate seat.

1 hour ago, volperdinger said:

I've never seen a level of belligerence displayed by you and some others on this forum, but I guess it serves your hyper-partisan purposes. Our family here in Maryland recently came to discover a first cousin in California who'd been given up for adoption seventy one years ago, after both families had used the Ancestry DNA test. You can deny its accuracy all you want, but you'll only look like a bigger fool than usual. 

That's nice, but irrelevant. This is just a cheap political stunt on the part of her opponent and Warren gave it the response it deserved. 

1 minute ago, Heisenberg said:

That's nice, but irrelevant. This is just a cheap political stunt on the part of her opponent and Warren gave it the response it deserved. 

Thanks for proving my point...again. 

4 minutes ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

Substitute a few words, and omit a few others and we are talking predisent bonzo's tax returns...

I have no problem with wanting to see the Donald's tax returns. The parallel between the two situations are that such actions by either party (a DNA test for Warren, releasing rax returns for Trump) are voluntary. No law or rule will require either action. So we can all keep our opinions about what either action would reveal. 

3 minutes ago, volperdinger said:

Thanks for proving my point...again. 

Don't know what point that would be, but I'll continue by adding that if a Democrat did something of this nature to a sitting incumbent, Republicans would laugh them right out of the state, as they should. But since this is the other way around, it passes for intellectual thought. And we wonder why our political process is what it is today. 

Unreal. 

Edited by Heisenberg

I think Warren should embrace this.

Maybe play some Native American  music when she's introduced.

Many people  have family stories about their ancestry which turn out to be untrue.

In America, "We're part Native American" is a common one.

7 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Many people  have family stories about their ancestry which turn out to be untrue.

Like the myth that there are actually (other than a rare albino) White South Africans.

Bet they won't take a DNA test to prove it. B)

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

43 minutes ago, Papi said:

The leading theory about the origin of native Americans is that they crossed over from Asia when there was a land bridge. Has that theory been debunked, or is just on hold for the purpose of this discussion? :rolleyes:

There were multiple waves across the land bridge.  Plus the Vikings (who know how many times) and the Europeans.  

The earliest human occupation of North America is not settled science.  

https://www.boston.com/uncategorized/noprimarytagmatch/2012/07/11/native-americans-migrated-to-the-new-world-in-three-waves-harvard-led-dna-analysis-shows

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/mastodons-americas-peopling-migrations-archaeology-science/

7 minutes ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

Like the myth that there are actually (other than a rare albino) White South Africans.

Bet they won't take a DNA test to prove it. B)

Reminds me of Charlize Theron and Tracy Morgan on SNL:

Charlize Theron: Thank you! I'm delighted to be here in New York, hosting the show. I actually wasn't even born in the United States - I was born and raised in South Africa. But I live here now!

Tracy Morgan: [ standing amongst the audience ] Oh, Boo! Boo? You serious?

Charlize Theron: Yes.. Sir.. you have a question?

Tracy Morgan: No, I'm not a Sir. I'm Tracy Morgan, I'm on the show.

Charlize Theron: Oh, really?

Tracy Morgan: Yeah. I didn't have much to do this week, so I skipped the practices. You live here, but you were born in Africa?

Charlize Theron: Yes, that's right.

Tracy Morgan: Hmm.. so you're an African-American?

Charlize Theron: [ contemplating ] Wow..! I guess I am! I.. I.. I never thought of it that way..

Tracy Morgan: [ steps on stage ] Well, you better start thinking about it that way!

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00dmono.phtml

42 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

No one is going to change anyone's mind on this - the right will continue to chastise Warren for repeating her family's history that she is part Native American because Scott Brown and Trump told them too and the left will continue to call them racist even though they aren't racist just followers.

I thought all this was about a story her Grandmother told her about the family that was never proven ....

7 minutes ago, demopublican said:

There were multiple waves across the land bridge.  Plus the Vikings (who know how many times) and the Europeans.  

https://www.boston.com/uncategorized/noprimarytagmatch/2012/07/11/native-americans-migrated-to-the-new-world-in-three-waves-harvard-led-dna-analysis-shows

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/mastodons-americas-peopling-migrations-archaeology-science/

Interesting articles. But your links speak to information about the origins of Native Americans that is based heavily on DNA analysis, while another poster has roundly chastised anyone who uses the DNA question because of the opinion of one geneologist from Stanford.

Seems to me that reveals that DNA evidence is not to be summarily dismissed simply because Senator Warren choses to not avail herself of it. :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Thank you for 100% proving what I was saying - that Native Americans have Mongolian bloodlines.

Edited by alienrace

2 minutes ago, alienrace said:

Thank you for 100% proving what I was saying - that Native Americans have Mongolian bloodlines.

I doubt two links to non scientific journals 100% proves anything. 

Edited by demopublican

37 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Dig up the old Paul Revere & the Raiders song .......

16 minutes ago, Papi said:

Interesting articles. But your links speak to information about the origins of Native Americans that is based heavily on DNA analysis, while another poster has roundly chastised anyone who uses the DNA question because of the opinion of one geneologist from Stanford.

Seems to me that reveals that DNA evidence is not to be summarily dismissed simply because Senator Warren choses to not avail herself of it. :rolleyes:

Why should she? Scott Brown, her Republican opponent in the 2012 Senate race, speculated that she had fabricated Native American heritage to gain advantage in the job market. At the time she was a Law Professor at Harvard. So how ridiculous is that?

There is a lot of hate in this thread. I pity people who's minds work this way. And I really pity the people who have to be around them in real life.

I'm not talking about you, Papi. 

17 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Dig up the old Paul Revere & the Raiders song .......

Perfect.

I like the show, "Who Do You Think You Are?"

At the beginning, Jessica Biel said the only thing her family was sure about was their Native American ancestry.

Ten minutes later, she's saying, "Lies. Lies. Lies." :D 

Unrelated, but Courtney Cox is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror, Edward I, Henry I  and one of her ancestors killed Edward II.

Edited by Cameron

18 hours ago, ms maggie said:

You mean too challenging?          

Oh of course. Your towering intellect (like amusingly thinking Europeans colonized this country in 1492, or mysteriously not realizing Caribbean slaves came from Africa) just plum befuddles me.

Ok I am man enough to admit that I was wrong.

Columbus did NOT settle but rather was an explorer. The settling  came later. I wasn't clear, my bad.

And with some research you prompted .... you are correct. 

Afro-Caribbeans are Caribbean people who trace their heritage to Sub-Saharan Africa in the period since Christopher Columbus's arrival in the region in 1492. Other names for the group include African-Caribbean (especially in the UK branch of the diaspora), Afro-Antillean or Afro-West Indian

So here is something you or anyone else rarely gets on these forums from other posters.....an apology and an admittance that I was wrong on these two points.

27 minutes ago, alienrace said:

38 minutes ago, Papi said:

Only one link discussed DNA.  The California site was based on Radio Carbon dating and the context in which the remains were found.  Context is everything in Archaeology.  

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature22065.epdf?referrer_access_token=T-qdskenMn488lOBsxcd49RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0Odq55Wqltd4FPUqYwCTOB2cODe0kbxiUTw1uqO74Td2qfi8RZ1OcgTSoQB7ZIbZ-rVUsiZhma9lPvsYizdFN-B3jFgfiNRjpxsoQPnTiIQzZrjWc5vgToVr8tmorT21nIACN_aisCeqLMJ-idRWkcVhL2PXvAg3D3RBESE3hwHMZp8_eDXgWwKvAq-fG2zydx38v5LYEV4cVY7kwSYGus97P9kpwjNJgFd_xdSQvEqvw%3D%3D&tracking_referrer=news.nationalgeographic.com

Edited by demopublican

16 hours ago, RileyMartin said:

The progressive Democrats and their endless sense of entitlement to everything is a shameful part of American history.

Obama should have hit every reservation on the first leg of his apology tour. 

There is wwwwayyyyyyy more truth to that than some here are willing to admit. 

11 hours ago, alienrace said:

Right winger, lol.  Ok.

Anyone who attended high school knows Native Americans were originally from Asia.  Sheesh.

Eskimos and many Alaskans also.

As you pointed out....using the 'land bridge' called Beringia many eons ago....they left Asia via that route 3 times.

Now the BIG question being debated is IF Native Americans after over 10000 years are considered to be an independent race on their own at this point. And the various qualifying markers/points for and against are pretty overwhelming to come up with a definitive answer at this time. 

But that is all academic trivia really......our Indians really got screwed and continue to be.

Question; why isn't the NAACP throwing more effort into helping them....they are colored after all?

This letter dated 2010 says they would.....I haven't seen anything? Has anyone?

http://action.naacp.org/page/-/resolutions/2010.CR.1.Native Americans.pdf