AttackPlanR

Trumph-Care Vote Delayed

47 posts in this topic

John McCain’s absence from the Senate as he recovers from surgery has led Republican leadership to postpone consideration of the troubled healthcare bill. Surgeons in Phoenix removed a blood clot from above 80-year-old McCain’s left eye on Friday

“While John is recovering,” Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement late on Saturday, “the Senate will continue our work on legislative items and nominations, and will defer consideration of the Better Care Act.”

John Cornyn of Texas, the No2 Senate Republican, told NBC’s Meet the Press on Sunday there should be a vote once a “full contingent of senators” was available....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/16/john-mccain-blood-clot-surgery-delays-healthcare-reform-vote

I wonder what his out-of-pocket expenses are going to be for this.

Or how much short-term disability he'll have to use at 60% of his normal salary....

CBO should now have enough time to score the Cruz amendment. Expect them to conclude what all the experts have- it will be catastrophic to the individual market.  

McCain has been grumbling about the bill to maintain his "Maverick" image, but he's a yes.

Pretty stunning admission from Price. Good to see him being honest for a change.

4 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

I guess John's vote is needed for 50....even though he seems to be against the bill.....

Won't matter even with his vote it won't get 50 and the Cruz  amendment is likely not going to get it through reconciliation any way.

2 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

Won't matter even with his vote it won't get 50 and the Cruz  amendment is likely not going to get it through reconciliation any way.

I am not convinced....the repugnicans spend 7 years undermining the ACA and promising to repeal it....doesn't matter is 85% of the population oppose the new plan, the repugnicans painted themselves in to a corner.....they'll pass it just to spite Obama...

It's a good thing he has the kind of insurance necessary to get the care he needs.  Too bad when he comes back he's gonna vote to take insurance away from millions of people.

Regardless of the vote, I wish McCain a speedy recovery. Having a blood clot removed from behind your eye (at any age) sounds pretty darn serious. I don't agree with a lot of his actions (particularly his choice for VP in 2008) but I would hope that folks would at least be sensitive to the health scare he just had instead of just posting partisan foolishness.  

1 minute ago, Papi said:

Regardless of the vote, I wish McCain a speedy recovery. Having a blood clot removed from behind your eye (at any age) sounds pretty darn serious. I don't agree with a lot of his actions (particularly his choice for VP in 2008) but I would hope that folks would at least be sensitive to the health scare he just had instead of just posting partisan foolishness.  

Do you consider arguing the merits (or even the existence of) the ACA to be partisan foolishness? I think getting lectured by somebody who claims a moral high ground by simply wishing McCain good health is foolishness in itself. 

3 minutes ago, Papi said:

I haven't seen anyone wish ill will toward him, have you?  And I think it's completely fair to wish him well, but point out that he's taking this option away from millions.

Before Obama care it was near impossible to get a reasonablel insurance policy if you had cancer or other major medical issues. Obama care helps the people that can't afford insurance get a plan although many can't even afford that.

All this continual discussion of the front end of a health care system (the ability and/or requirement to obtain insurance) will have precious little meaning unless and until a meaningful discussion of costs from the back end (the providers, facilities, labs, medical device industry, and big pharma) and how to keep skyrocketing costs (a reason why premiums are in fact skyrocketing) in check occurs concurrent to the policy framework of either party's supposed solutions and tweaks. So far, the only cost containment option seems to be phasing out and eliminating funding of payments. It's as though they don't care why the costs escalate, will make payments on those ever escalating costs until we've run out of money allocated to this, and then just say no.

17 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

I am not convinced....the repugnicans spend 7 years undermining the ACA and promising to repeal it....doesn't matter is 85% of the population oppose the new plan, the repugnicans painted themselves in to a corner.....they'll pass it just to spite Obama...

They will pass something just not this!

2 hours ago, Papi said:

I like him a lot. It is also likely his recovery will be more than a week. Add to that how long before he can fly.

3 hours ago, EnochRoot said:

Do you consider arguing the merits (or even the existence of) the ACA to be partisan foolishness? I think getting lectured by somebody who claims a moral high ground by simply wishing McCain good health is foolishness in itself. 

You obviously have mistaken me for someone who supports the current Republican healthcare bill. I do not. And I think McCain will vote no if it comes to a vote. He has been critical of the single party process as well as some of the language in the bills (original and revised). 

I have said all along that the Republican party has been foolish to spend time and effort to repeal the ACA. I still believe it is financially unsustainable, will fail on its own, at which point the only reasonable course of action to take in congress will be a bipartisan effort to come up with something that works. 

Do have to wonder John's medical issue is somehow related to the recent episodes of confusion he's been exhibiting.

5 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Do have to wonder John's medical issue is somehow related to the recent episodes of confusion he's been exhibiting.

My wife made the same comment. A blood clot anywhere near the brain could certainly have such an effect. 

4 hours ago, banner1124 said:

It's a good thing he has the kind of insurance necessary to get the care he needs.  Too bad when he comes back he's gonna vote to take insurance away from millions of people.

Nailed it.

Affordable healthcare for me, but not for thee.

4 hours ago, Up2DaRack said:

All this continual discussion of the front end of a health care system (the ability and/or requirement to obtain insurance) will have precious little meaning unless and until a meaningful discussion of costs from the back end (the providers, facilities, labs, medical device industry, and big pharma) and how to keep skyrocketing costs (a reason why premiums are in fact skyrocketing) in check occurs concurrent to the policy framework of either party's supposed solutions and tweaks. So far, the only cost containment option seems to be phasing out and eliminating funding of payments. It's as though they don't care why the costs escalate, will make payments on those ever escalating costs until we've run out of money allocated to this, and then just say no.

Listen to what he says about the cost of healthcare as a percent of GDP, and how that compares to the corporate tax rate. Essentially, the cost of healthcare is the biggest burden on employers, not taxes.

YET NO ONE, BUT NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THE FOREVER RISING COST OF CARE. ALL OF THE TALK IS ABOUT RISING PREMIUMS AND OBAMACARE.

Obamacare has nothing to do with the rising premiums, it is the cost of the care which has far outpaced inflation since the 80s. . It keeps going up because the healthcare industry can charge whatever it wants for their services.

What is a parent (or anybody) to do? Not pay for the medication / treatment / procedure that will keep their child / loved one / themselves healthy? 

2 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

You see? This statement is misleading.

The patient would have been charged $78,000. What it actually costs is a much different number.

What's McCain (or anyone) going to do? Not pay for the life-saving procedure? Compare prices with the one or two other providers who can do it?

18 minutes ago, AttackPlanR said:

Listen to what he says about the cost of healthcare as a percent of GDP, and how that compares to the corporate tax rate. Essentially, the cost of healthcare is the biggest burden on employers, not taxes.

YET NO ONE, BUT NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THE FOREVER RISING COST OF CARE. ALL OF THE TALK IS ABOUT RISING PREMIUMS AND OBAMACARE.

Obamacare has nothing to do with the rising premiums, it is the cost of the care which has far outpaced inflation since the 80s. . It keeps going up because the healthcare industry can charge whatever it wants for their services.

What is a parent (or anybody) to do? Not pay for the medication / treatment / procedure that will keep their child / loved one / themselves healthy? 

These are all valid points. I'm not hopeful any meaningful discussion will take place on these issues with the entrenched special interests ensuring our elected officials from both sides of the aisle remain firmly in their hip pockets.

On a totally unrelated note - so glad to see you posting here! I haven't seen you in a while.

Thanks,

The partisan bickering was getting to me, especially leading up to the election. I don't miss it much, but I have lurked on here from time to time.