Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
can you hear me now!

When is the CBO right....only when convenient

6 posts in this topic

more repugnican hypocrisy when it comes to the CBO:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/politics/trump-health-care-governors/index.html

Malloy said he argued with Price and Verma when -- after Verma had taken issue with the Congressional Budget Office forecasts of coverage losses -- Price cited the CBO analysis to back up a separate point.

"They were incredibly inconsistent between themselves," he said. "They support what they like from CBO, and they attack CBO. But at least the secretary was forced to admit that's the only public generated analysis."

cherrypicking at its best......

repugnicans can't govern....

I especially like how Gingrich, Price and Cotton thought the head of the CBO was great when hired.

Honest (non-partisan) question - is there any UNBIASED independent analysis available that would review CBO analyses over the years and see how accurate their assesments have been (in the cases of analysis of proposed legislation that was subsequently passed and implemented).

When I Google the question what I get are lots of things from highly partisan sources (not to be trusted), or the CBO's own analysis of their historical accuracy (also questionable - since they give themselves high marks). The vast majority of Google hits focus on the ACA, which is just one law. I would be interested in knowing what the CBO's actual success rate has been in accurately predicting statistical values related to proposed legislation, whether it be costs, impacts on tax revenue, or any other measure.

I know we tend to place high value on the CBO because of its non-partisan status, but the bottom line is are they good at what they do? I have no way to form an opinion based on what I have been able to find. Can anyone else find any links that are either not biased by the source or not a CBO self- assessment? 

7 minutes ago, Papi said:

Honest (non-partisan) question - is there any UNBIASED independent analysis available that would review CBO analyses over the years and see how accurate their assesments have been (in the cases of analysis of proposed legislation that was subsequently passed and implemented).

When I Google the question what I get are lots of things from highly partisan sources (not to be trusted), or the CBO's own analysis of their historical accuracy (also questionable - since they give themselves high marks). The vast majority of Google hits focus on the ACA, which is just one law. I would be interested in knowing what the CBO's actual success rate has been in accurately predicting statistical values related to proposed legislation, whether it be costs, impacts on tax revenue, or any other measure.

I know we tend to place high value on the CBO because of its non-partisan status, but the bottom line is are they good at what they do? I have no way to form an opinion based on what I have been able to find. Can anyone else find any links that are either not biased by the source or not a CBO self- assessment? 

Wouldn't that mean if the CBO approved of things everything would be perfect ..???

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

Wouldn't that mean if the CBO approved of things everything would be perfect ..???

Hardly. They could be 100% dead on correct in an analysis of a really bad law (or to the opposition party a really good law :P), which passes. I wouldn't necessarily call that perfection, but it would be accurate analysis. My question is how accurate are their analyses of laws over the years since they have been doing them (I believe since 1975). I really don't know and have not been able to locate an unbiased assessment. 

I thought this was the most interesting aspect:

"They repeatedly pretended that the federal government saving hundreds of billions of dollars won't translate to actual cuts," [CT Governor Malloy] said. "I was told that I'll innovate sufficiently to save them hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars."

Sounds similar to 'the tax cuts will pay for themselves'.

Edited by Jimmy Jazz