Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Buzzcut

"Orioles Willing To Trade Britton, Brach, O’Day, Smith"

74 posts in this topic

Just now, bmore_ken said:

But according to dshawg, we're just trolling

He's a NATS fan je is just preparing for another 1st rd exit ?

5 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Of course relievers have value bozo. But set up men don't have $10 M a year value

The market says you're wrong, both monetarily and as far as trade value.

3 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

The market says you're wrong, both monetarily and as far as trade value.

NO the market doesn't. Miller signed for $10M as a closer not a set up man

14 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

NO the market doesn't. Miller signed for $10M as a closer not a set up man

And did the Indians trade for him as a closer?

Did the Yankees use him as a closer for both his years there?

If he hit the market tomorrow as a setup man, do you think he'd get less, more, or about the same?

By the way, O'Day got nearly as much as a setup man and he isn't even setting up anymore.

3 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

And did the Indians trade for him as a closer?

Trade is irrelevant. You were biatching because we didn't sign a $10M set up man. He wasn't going to be our closer. I'm done. I'm not rehashing this BS again. So claim your victory and let's move on. It's what you do. 

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Trade is irrelevant. You were biatching because we didn't sign a $10M set up man. He wasn't going to be our closer. I'm done. I'm not rehashing this BS again. So claim your victory and let's move on. It's what you do. 

No it isn't.  I said that his value, both as far as trade and the market, is at or greater than 10/year.  And considering we were just discussing the trading of 3 Os relievers, I'd say evaluating trade value is entirely relevant.

By the way, I'll ask again since you seemed to miss it the first time.  If he hit the market tomorrow, is getting less than 10 million a year?

Edited by Slidemaster

I'd offer Britton, Brach and O'Day to the Dodgers for their top five prospects. 

The team desperately needs pitching so let's trade some of the guys who can pitch.  How about trading Manny now before his value is zero and maybe foisting Davis off on some sucker.

13 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

You think the Dodgers are taking that deal?

11 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

Deal 

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, veritas said:

The team desperately needs pitching so let's trade some of the guys who can pitch.  How about trading Manny now before his value is zero and maybe foisting Davis off on some sucker.

Because no one is giving up what it will take to get them. Davis at this point is worthless, Manny is sucking this year and is up for a historical raise. GMs aren't that stupid outside of MLB THE SHOW on my PS4

Edited by bmore_ken

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

Because no one is giving up what it will take to get them. David at this point is worthless, Manny is sucking this year and is up for a historical raise. GMs aren't that stupid outside of MLB THE SHOW on my PS4

Do you seriously not think teams will deal for Manny?

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

Because no one is giving up what it will take to get them. David at this point is worthless, Manny is sucking this year and is up for a historical raise. GMs aren't that stupid outside of MLB THE SHOW on my PS4

Well, every day that passes, Manny's trade value falls.  Knowing our genius management, they'll wait till his contract expires, make a feeble offer as window dressing and watch him walk away for nothing. They really aren't interested in winning at all.  Would they have Dan Duquette if they were?

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

Do you seriously not think teams will deal for Manny?

Do I think a team is mortgaging it's future for a player having a lousy year and will command a king's ransom a year from now in free agency?  NO

Edited by bmore_ken

3 minutes ago, veritas said:

Well, every day that passes, Manny's trade value falls.  Knowing our genius management, they'll wait till his contract expires, make a feeble offer as window dressing and watch him walk away for nothing. They really aren't interested in winning at all.  Would they have Dan Duquette if they were?

Right now he has no value. If he rebounds next year, then it's a different story.

Just now, bmore_ken said:

Right now he has no value. If he rebounds next year, then it's a different story.

Manny's value is in what he's done in the recent past, his obvious talent and his youth.  Do you think Manny is a .230 hitter? Or do 2015 and 2016 more realistically reflect his value?  How about his play in the field?  Can Manny suddenly not field?  If they wait till next season has started, they'll get nothing.  Wait and see.

4 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Do I think a team is mortgaging it's future for a player having a lousy year and will command a kin's ransom a year from now in free agency?  NO

What's the difference?  Manny will be a free agent anyway.  Any team that trades for him will be making damn sure that they can sign him.  We need to locate that team.  I suspect we're way too dumb or just don't care, maybe both.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, veritas said:

What's the difference?  Manny will be a free agent anyway.  Any team that trades for him will be making damn sure that they can sign him.  We need to locate that team.  I suspect we're way too dumb or just don't care, maybe both.

There's never a guarantee of signing any player. Manny will likely get the biggest contract in MLB history to this point. It's possible there's a team that will rent him for a year, but unlikely they're giving up anything substantial. 

Edited by bmore_ken

21 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

You think the Dodgers are taking that deal?

Yes because they are a "win now" mode. They probably have their best team since the late 1970's.

2 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

Yes because they are a "win now" mode. They probably have their best team since the late 1970's.

They're in win now mode and giving up their best prospects for players who aren't doing anything special? OOOOKKKKKKK

15 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap...I didn't think you were serious!

Genius, guess why teams are being told he's unavailable?  BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING TO ACQUIRE HIM.

The Cubs gave up their #1 and #2 prospects along with 3 more players in the deal to get Jose Quintana from the White Sox. Quintana was 4-8 with a 4.49 ERA. A lot to give for a subpar pitcher.

As the article stated, this is all dependent on Angelos green-lighting the proposed moves. However, I doubt Duquette would be telling teams certain players are available if he wasn't sure of ownership approval. Then again, you can never be sure with Peter Angelos.

I think Britton can still fetch a nice return this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's the last to go. The team needs the time between now and the deadline to re-establish his value as much as possible. Of course, the way things are going, he might not get another save chance until the kids are back in school. Brach should be a pretty easy sell. He's still rather cheap and has another year to go before he can walk. O'Day's contract makes him problematic. I think in order to get anything of substance back, the Orioles might have to offer the buyer some contract relief.

The Orioles can wait on Britton a bit, but I think they need to get out in front if they're going to move Brach and (perhaps) O'Day. The Nats gave up two top 10 prospects (in their organization, not overall) to Oakland for Doolittle and Madson, neither of whom can be considered a full-blown closer. That doesn't look like a whole heckuva lot, at least from Washington's perspective, to help fix an area that was otherwise going to be their downfall. Neither Doolittle nor Madson was going to command a blockbuster price, so the Orioles need to try and establish Brach's value in what could be a rich relief pitcher market.

5 hours ago, veritas said:

That's not true at all.

Any number of teams would be quite amenable to acquiring a one-year rental player at a salary still far below his eventual market value. Even if that team should fall out of contention, the silver lining is that they have a helluva trade chip to deal. 

9 hours ago, mdrunning said:

As the article stated, this is all dependent on Angelos green-lighting the proposed moves. However, I doubt Duquette would be telling teams certain players are available if he wasn't sure of ownership approval. Then again, you can never be sure with Peter Angelos.

I think Britton can still fetch a nice return this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's the last to go. The team needs the time between now and the deadline to re-establish his value as much as possible. Of course, the way things are going, he might not get another save chance until the kids are back in school. Brach should be a pretty easy sell. He's still rather cheap and has another year to go before he can walk. O'Day's contract makes him problematic. I think in order to get anything of substance back, the Orioles might have to offer the buyer some contract relief.

The Orioles can wait on Britton a bit, but I think they need to get out in front if they're going to move Brach and (perhaps) O'Day. The Nats gave up two top 10 prospects (in their organization, not overall) to Oakland for Doolittle and Madson, neither of whom can be considered a full-blown closer. That doesn't look like a whole heckuva lot, at least from Washington's perspective, to help fix an area that was otherwise going to be their downfall. Neither Doolittle nor Madson was going to command a blockbuster price, so the Orioles need to try and establish Brach's value in what could be a rich relief pitcher market.

In Britton's case there will be a trade. Angelos will not pay him top closer money in 2 years.