mrdeltoid

Band dropped from label for being Politically Incorrect

35 posts in this topic

I thought this was interesting as one of the subjects was immigration and feminism made by the female who is a legal immigrant from Bosnia.

Record Label Drops Band for Comments on Safe Spaces, Feminism ...

Jun 23, 2017 - A record label has dropped the band Dream Machine after two of its members were caught expressing “ugly opinions” about political ...

I don't see anything radical in their statements.  Basic common sense

Just checked DM out, thought the 70s had come back. Best wishes in Europe!

53 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I thought this was interesting as one of the subjects was immigration and feminism made by the female who is a legal immigrant from Bosnia.

Record Label Drops Band for Comments on Safe Spaces, Feminism ...

Jun 23, 2017 - A record label has dropped the band Dream Machine after two of its members were caught expressing “ugly opinions” about political ...

I wonder when record labels will start dropping "entertainers" for singing about raping women, killing people, etc.?  Probably the end of never. :)

I am not amused that people are being punished for having an opinion and if this is what the record company wants, hopefully, it is consistent with other words/statements that people find offensive.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

I am not amused that people are being punished for having an opinion and if this is what the record company wants, hopefully, it is consistent with other words/statements that people find offensive.

In 2017, you don't need a record label. They can produce music independently and be more successful 

Edited by soulflower

18 minutes ago, soulflower said:

In 2017, you don't need a record label. They can produce music independently and be more successful 

You need people who can handle all of the resources and logistics. Touring is still how you get it done, and it's hard to get people to come to your shows without labels and the most popular bands on them headlining.

Labels have all the power at this level. A band unnecessarily aggravating them is a poor choice.

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

If they sold more records I am sure it would have been excused.

20 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

You need people who can handle all of the resources and logistics. Touring is still how you get it done, and it's hard to get people to come to your shows without labels and the most popular bands on them headlining.

Labels have all the power at this level. A band unnecessarily aggravating them is a poor choice.

Record Labels aren't yet obsolete but they're close to it 

The cost to produce and distribute music is so much cheaper today 

That's the free market for you. 

48 minutes ago, demopublican said:

If they sold more records I am sure it would have been excused.

That was my immediate thought. Easy picking of low hanging fruit.  If it had been Metallica who sells out 50,000 seat stadiums and stills sells a lot of cd's in the online era you can bet it would have been overlooked.  

I can sure understand why legal immigrants working here would resent those that jumped the line and cheated.  Like the First Lady.

43 minutes ago, Calamari said:

That's the free market for you. 

Not really.  The free market would let the failure or success of their product determine whether they were retained or not.  This was simply a record company executive deciding he did not like what the band had to say in an interview.  So much for free speech.  

Posted (edited)

Which, again, is exactly the free market for you.

No one's free speech has been infringed upon.

Edited by Calamari

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Not really.  The free market would let the failure or success of their product determine whether they were retained or not.  This was simply a record company executive deciding he did not like what the band had to say in an interview. So much for free speech.  

The First Amendment protects us from the government, not individuals or businesses.

They can find a new label to sign them or they could produce their music Independently. No one is stopping them from continuing to make music or speak their minds politically 

Edited by soulflower

27 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Not really.  The free market would let the failure or success of their product determine whether they were retained or not.  This was simply a record company executive deciding he did not like what the band had to say in an interview.  So much for free speech.  

This is not a free speech issue. Read the 1st amendment.

3 hours ago, Sprightly said:

Being punished? Having a record contract isn't a right. 

The record company can elect to do as they choose. Offensive, non offensive, no matter.

Castle Face Record's band list is a who's who of nobodies.  This might be the only publicity this band ever got.  The only notable band I saw was the I.C.Y's (tamer side project of Death Grip's members)

Demo's right. They are a little fish hoping to move up the food chain. They are guppies trying not to get on the bad side of the music industries sharks. While most of countries fans lean right as the Dixie Chicks found out the hard way, Rock and Hip Hop tend to lean left. They're just playing to their market. Just business.

27 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Castle Face Record's band list is a who's who of nobodies.  This might be the only publicity this band ever got.  The only notable band I saw was the I.C.Y's (tamer side project of Death Grip's members)

There are tons of labels like this. The owners aren't rich. Much like many of the bands that are signed to them, they probably live with their parents. And there are tons of bands just trying to get signed to a label like this so they can get access to the touring network.

So no big loss.  These guys got some publicity. 

Death Grips do kick ***.  

10 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Being punished? Having a record contract isn't a right. 

The record company can elect to do as they choose. Offensive, non offensive, no matter.

Who said that it's a "right?" Not me.

As to the rest, of course.

Looks like a great way of getting out of a contract .......

Lets just call it what it is.....the band is awful.