mrdeltoid

Band dropped from label for being Politically Incorrect

35 posts in this topic

I thought this was interesting as one of the subjects was immigration and feminism made by the female who is a legal immigrant from Bosnia.

Record Label Drops Band for Comments on Safe Spaces, Feminism ...

Jun 23, 2017 - A record label has dropped the band Dream Machine after two of its members were caught expressing “ugly opinions” about political ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see anything radical in their statements.  Basic common sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked DM out, thought the 70s had come back. Best wishes in Europe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I thought this was interesting as one of the subjects was immigration and feminism made by the female who is a legal immigrant from Bosnia.

Record Label Drops Band for Comments on Safe Spaces, Feminism ...

Jun 23, 2017 - A record label has dropped the band Dream Machine after two of its members were caught expressing “ugly opinions” about political ...

I wonder when record labels will start dropping "entertainers" for singing about raping women, killing people, etc.?  Probably the end of never. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not amused that people are being punished for having an opinion and if this is what the record company wants, hopefully, it is consistent with other words/statements that people find offensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

I am not amused that people are being punished for having an opinion and if this is what the record company wants, hopefully, it is consistent with other words/statements that people find offensive.

In 2017, you don't need a record label. They can produce music independently and be more successful 

Edited by soulflower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, soulflower said:

In 2017, you don't need a record label. They can produce music independently and be more successful 

You need people who can handle all of the resources and logistics. Touring is still how you get it done, and it's hard to get people to come to your shows without labels and the most popular bands on them headlining.

Labels have all the power at this level. A band unnecessarily aggravating them is a poor choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

I am not amused that people are being punished for having an opinion and if this is what the record company wants, hopefully, it is consistent with other words/statements that people find offensive.

If they sold more records I am sure it would have been excused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

You need people who can handle all of the resources and logistics. Touring is still how you get it done, and it's hard to get people to come to your shows without labels and the most popular bands on them headlining.

Labels have all the power at this level. A band unnecessarily aggravating them is a poor choice.

Record Labels aren't yet obsolete but they're close to it 

The cost to produce and distribute music is so much cheaper today 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the free market for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, demopublican said:

If they sold more records I am sure it would have been excused.

That was my immediate thought. Easy picking of low hanging fruit.  If it had been Metallica who sells out 50,000 seat stadiums and stills sells a lot of cd's in the online era you can bet it would have been overlooked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can sure understand why legal immigrants working here would resent those that jumped the line and cheated.  Like the First Lady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Calamari said:

That's the free market for you. 

Not really.  The free market would let the failure or success of their product determine whether they were retained or not.  This was simply a record company executive deciding he did not like what the band had to say in an interview.  So much for free speech.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Which, again, is exactly the free market for you.

No one's free speech has been infringed upon.

Edited by Calamari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Not really.  The free market would let the failure or success of their product determine whether they were retained or not.  This was simply a record company executive deciding he did not like what the band had to say in an interview. So much for free speech.  

The First Amendment protects us from the government, not individuals or businesses.

 

They can find a new label to sign them or they could produce their music Independently. No one is stopping them from continuing to make music or speak their minds politically 

Edited by soulflower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Not really.  The free market would let the failure or success of their product determine whether they were retained or not.  This was simply a record company executive deciding he did not like what the band had to say in an interview.  So much for free speech.  

This is not a free speech issue. Read the 1st amendment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sprightly said:

I am not amused that people are being punished for having an opinion and if this is what the record company wants, hopefully, it is consistent with other words/statements that people find offensive.

Being punished? Having a record contract isn't a right. 

The record company can elect to do as they choose. Offensive, non offensive, no matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Castle Face Record's band list is a who's who of nobodies.  This might be the only publicity this band ever got.  The only notable band I saw was the I.C.Y's (tamer side project of Death Grip's members)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Demo's right. They are a little fish hoping to move up the food chain. They are guppies trying not to get on the bad side of the music industries sharks. While most of countries fans lean right as the Dixie Chicks found out the hard way, Rock and Hip Hop tend to lean left. They're just playing to their market. Just business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Castle Face Record's band list is a who's who of nobodies.  This might be the only publicity this band ever got.  The only notable band I saw was the I.C.Y's (tamer side project of Death Grip's members)

There are tons of labels like this. The owners aren't rich. Much like many of the bands that are signed to them, they probably live with their parents. And there are tons of bands just trying to get signed to a label like this so they can get access to the touring network.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So no big loss.  These guys got some publicity. 

Death Grips do kick ***.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Being punished? Having a record contract isn't a right. 

The record company can elect to do as they choose. Offensive, non offensive, no matter.

Who said that it's a "right?" Not me.

As to the rest, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a great way of getting out of a contract .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets just call it what it is.....the band is awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now