mrdeltoid

Home at last!

255 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

It would be a hybrid (sticking to the Frankenstein theme), I would start with Reagan for national security, and restoring the pride in being an American. His "morning in America" campaign came at the exact right time. I would use Slick Willie for his domestic policy("it's the economy stupid"). Then I would use Carter for  his diplomacy abroad (China), and compassion. I would add Obama for his ability to communicate, prolly the most gifted orator of my time. Finally, last but not least, I would take JFK for his gravitas. If you look up "presidential" in the dictionary, his picture is there.

Nice choices for a hybrid and slick of you to think of building Frankenstein with piece parts....I was thinking more along of 'its alive'.

So what would be your singular choice. Warts and all.

Me JFK or Regan. Not so much for the specific politics but their ability to make the Americans feel 'good' about themselves and the country as a whole and projecting the 'power of the presidency' out to the world. We as a country would need that after Trump.

Unfortunately all this is a dream.....but it is nice to dream sometime.

17 hours ago, Rael said:

What did Carter do with China? Are you sure you aren't thinking of Nixon?

I should've been more specific. Because Nixon blazed the trail with China , no small feat, he gets most of the credit. I agree that was big, and I think that is why Carter doesn't the credit he deserves . He continued the process initiated by Nixon, and while shifting our foreign policy away from a hawkish posture to a human rights campaign as he finalized the normalization of our relations with China in 1978. And yes, it's a shame the way history treats him, a man with great compassion and empathy . Don't get me started with Nixon, who was basically a good man with many demons. He was my CIC when I was in the Corps.:mad:

3 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Nice choices for a hybrid and slick of you to think of building Frankenstein with piece parts....I was thinking more along of 'its alive'.

So what would be your singular choice. Warts and all.

Me JFK or Regan. Not so much for the specific politics but their ability to make the Americans feel 'good' about themselves and the country as a whole and projecting the 'power of the presidency' out to the world. We as a country would need that after Trump.

Unfortunately all this is a dream.....but it is nice to dream sometime.

If I could have the Press corps from 1960 I would choose JFK. His was such a dynamic speaker, Chris Matthews would get a thrill up his whole body AND have a seizure! Sadly, these days , with his infidelity and drug dependence , today's press would shred him.

Posted (edited)

On 7/25/2017 at 0:45 PM, mrdeltoid said:

If I could have the Press corps from 1960 I would choose JFK. His was such a dynamic speaker, Chris Matthews would get a thrill up his whole body AND have a seizure! Sadly, these days , with his infidelity and drug dependence , today's press would shred him.

I have to admit that I was way to  young for recognize what  you are pointing out.

Well when Trump gets shredded I will agree with you. :lol:

Me, Regan. Not for his politics/planks/falling asleep. Just that he made me feel like; Yup I can sleep tonight....the world maybe going to hell in a handbasket....but it will be OK. Ol' Uncle Ron will take care of it.......

I know it is corney....but it is what it is.

Now Trump.....Yooohooooo wwooooowwwww hhhhoooooowwwwww!

Think 'Dr, Strangelove' and the commander riding the nuke down.....

Edited by Guido2

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

I have to admit that I was way to  young for recognize what  you are pointing out.

Well when Trump gets shredded I will agree with you. :lol:

Me, Regan. Not for his politics/planks/falling asleep. Just that he made me feel like; Yup I can sleep tonight....the world maybe going to hell in a handbasket....but it will be OK. Ol' Uncle Ron will take care of it.......

I know it is corney....but it is what it is.

Now Trump.....Yooohooooo wwooooowwwww hhhhoooooowwwwww!

Think 'Dr, Strangelove' and the commander riding the nuke down.....

Yep. Remember it well. most of the country felt that way. His "morning in America" speech gave many the secure feeling, myself included.