mrdeltoid

Home at last!

255 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

I'll remember that the next time I buy some food and can bring it home cook it and eat it and be almost 100% certain it's not going to kill me, or the next time I fly across the country and don't have to worry one iota about whether the plane is going to fall apart in the sky, or the next time I pop an ibuprofen and can be 100% certain that what I'm taking is, in fact, ibuprofen, or...... ... ... I could go on and on.  It's way more than roads and national security and thank God for that.

It's amazing how so many people don't get this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

It's a complete set of economic and political ideals that only work if you take them wholesale. Even the crap Marx espoused was more bendable to a hybrid system.

I respect Libertarian ideals as consistent, but believe they fail terribly on being realistic. They, suffer from the same bad assumptions that Adam Smith and Marx made; people are not rational on the whole and do not consistently act in their best interests. Most people will cheat the system for even the most minor of gains.

Your views are probably still closer to old school Republican ones. They've just been crowded out by neocons and the Trump wing.

Valid points. Until the other sides get rid of the crazies, I am comfortable continuing to vote for "other."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

So help me here.

Is a vote cast for the loser a "wasted vote" or not?:confused:

No it's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aboutwell said:

It could be Powell next time... 

I would never vote or support Powell.  He should be tried for war crimes and treason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, banner1124 said:

I'll remember that the next time I buy some food and can bring it home cook it and eat it and be almost 100% certain it's not going to kill me, or the next time I fly across the country and don't have to worry one iota about whether the plane is going to fall apart in the sky, or the next time I pop an ibuprofen and can be 100% certain that what I'm taking is, in fact, ibuprofen, or...... ... ... I could go on and on.  It's way more than roads and national security and thank God for that.

It's all those pesky regulations that are killing our country. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, aboutwell said:

The Libertarian Party will not seriously contended for the White House in my lifetime... I like most of the things they stand for myself, but like mrdeltoid, I realize that they aren't going anywhere... you might as well go for the better of the two major Party candidates... (that will most often be the Democratic candidate)... and I don't mean the lesser of two evils... 

I don't vote for parties.  I vote for individual candidates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Am the Very Model of a Modern Libertarian

I am the very model of a modern Libertarian:
I teem with glowing notions for proposals millenarian,
I've nothing but contempt for ideologies collectivist
(My own ideas of social good tend more toward the Objectivist).
You see, I've just discovered, by my intellectual bravery,
That civic obligations are all tantamount to slavery;
And thus that ancient pastime, viz., complaining of taxation,
Assumes the glorious aspect of a war for liberation!

[Chorus:]
You really must admit it's a delightful revelation:
To ***** about your taxes is to fight for liberation!


We'll guard the health of nature by self-interest most astute:
Since pollution is destructive, no one ever will pollute.
Thus factories will safeguard our communities riparian---
I am the very model of a modern Libertarian!

[Chorus:]
Yes, factories will safeguard our communities riparian,
He is the very model of a modern Libertarian!


In short, when I can tell why individual consumers
Know best who should approve their drugs and who should treat their tumors;
Why civilized existence in its intricate confusion
Will be simple and straightforward, absent government intrusion;
Why markets cannot err within the system I've described,
Why poor folk won't be bullied and why rich folk won't be bribed,
And why all vast inequities of power and position
Will vanish when I wave my wand and utter "COMPETITION!"---

[Chorus:]
He's so much more exciting than a common politician,
Inequities will vanish when he hollers "Competition!"

http://world.std.com/~mhuben/plofker.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

So help me here.

Is a vote cast for the loser a "wasted vote" or not?:confused:

I wouldn't necessarily call a vote for a third party candidate a "wasted"vote. I would probably call it a childish vote.

You may dislike the 2 major candidates, got it. But you know one of them is going to win. Rather than making a grim, even unpleasant choice, the kind of choice adults make all the time, you take your ball and go home.

You then can claim you had no part in electing either yucky candidate under the laughable notion that both candidatees were equally bad. Which is clearly not the case in this situation (though to be fair, you'd go far to find someone as gruesomely inept as Trump).

So good for you. You kept your skirts clean and accomplished pretty much nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love when people firmly entrenched in their party can't stand when people reject their party. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sprightly said:

I love when people firmly entrenched in their party can't stand when people reject their party. :)

I love when people are passive aggressive.

I'm not however. I'm talking about you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I love when people firmly entrenched in their party can't stand when people reject their party. :)

Exactly. Childish vote. Give me a break. <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

I wouldn't necessarily call a vote for a third party candidate a "wasted"vote. I would probably call it a childish vote.

You may dislike the 2 major candidates, got it. But you know one of them is going to win. Rather than making a grim, even unpleasant choice, the kind of choice adults make all the time, you take your ball and go home.

You then can claim you had no part in electing either yucky candidate under the laughable notion that both candidatees were equally bad. Which is clearly not the case in this situation (though to be fair, you'd go far to find someone as gruesomely inept as Trump).

So good for you. You kept your skirts clean and accomplished pretty much nothing.

To be fair, Eastside Terp made the point that, if you live in MD, you know which way it's going to go.

So it's easier to opt out of a party without impacting the election.

Though some of these posters do have unrealistic views of themselves. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I love when people firmly entrenched in their party can't stand when people reject their party. :)

And say they have no personal bias on here.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

I wouldn't necessarily call a vote for a third party candidate a "wasted"vote. I would probably call it a childish vote.

You may dislike the 2 major candidates, got it. But you know one of them is going to win. Rather than making a grim, even unpleasant choice, the kind of choice adults make all the time, you take your ball and go home.

You then can claim you had no part in electing either yucky candidate under the laughable notion that both candidatees were equally bad. Which is clearly not the case in this situation (though to be fair, you'd go far to find someone as gruesomely inept as Trump).

So good for you. You kept your skirts clean and accomplished pretty much nothing.

You are only showing your preferred party opinion. Or are you saying if you don't vote for neither of the 2 major party candidates you give up your right to complain .??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sprightly said:

Not voting is a vote wasted.  

 

Voting third party and not voting is a distinction without a difference. I guess living in Maryland with noncompetitive races makes it easier to vote third party. I don't have that luxury (if you want to call it that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

And say they have no personal bias on here.......

I admit I'm biased. I enjoy those who insist they aren't but whose posts constantly disprove that.

I suspect they think being "biased" is a bad thing. If you're not biased, you have no beliefs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

I admit I'm biased. I enjoy those who insist they aren't but whose posts constantly disprove that.

I suspect they think being "biased" is a bad thing. If you're not biased, you have no beliefs.

Your bias is your own opinion. Calling someone childish is not allowing their opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

I love when people are passive aggressive.

I'm not however. I'm talking about you.

What's so passive aggressive about my comment?  It wasn't addressing you specifically as I was typing my response prior to your post as you were typing your response.

You want to call people childish for their decision -- and that's not passive aggressive on a thread about a third party? M'kay. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

I admit I'm biased. I enjoy those who insist they aren't but whose posts constantly disprove that.

I suspect they think being "biased" is a bad thing. If you're not biased, you have no beliefs.

That's a whole big pile of crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

You are only showing your preferred party opinion. Or are you saying if you don't vote for neither of the 2 major party candidates you give up your right to complain .??

I wouldn't say you've given up your right to complain. But it rings a bit less than true. The notion that ANY two candidates are equally bad or good is clearly nonsense. (The definition of bad/good, or maybe effective/ineffective, is entirely yours obviously.)

I say voting third party is childish because I compare it to other life decisions. How many times have you had to make a choice between 2 bad options? If you've had any amount of management experience, lots of times. It's unpleasant, sure. But opting out is irresponsible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Your bias is your own opinion. Calling someone childish is not allowing their opinion.

How am I not allowing their opinion? 

Or are you saying I'm not entitled to my opinion of their opinion? You see the problem here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Libertarian Party most closely reflects my beliefs and values. Anyone who claims that their political party is 100% in alignment with their own values and beliefs is a bit too entrenched. IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

What's so passive aggressive about my comment?  It wasn't addressing you specifically as I was typing my response prior to your post as you were typing your response.

You want to call people childish for their decision -- and that's not passive aggressive on a thread about a third party? M'kay. :)

It's not at all passive aggressive, silly. Look it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

How am I not allowing their opinion? 

Or are you saying I'm not entitled to my opinion of their opinion? You see the problem here.

Using name calling .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

The Libertarian Party most closely reflects my beliefs and values. Anyone who claims that their political party is 100% in alignment with their own values and beliefs is a bit too entrenched. IMO

I don't believe anyone claims that. Straw man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now