mrdeltoid

Home at last!

255 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

I wouldn't say you've given up your right to complain. But it rings a bit less than true. The notion that ANY two candidates are equally bad or good is clearly nonsense. (The definition of bad/good, or maybe effective/ineffective, is entirely yours obviously.)

I say voting third party is childish because I compare it to other life decisions. How many times have you had to make a choice between 2 bad options? If you've had any amount of management experience, lots of times. It's unpleasant, sure. But opting out is irresponsible. 

If you have a choice between 2 bad option you choose neither.

Maybe some people don't want to follow the hold your nose and vote or vote for the lesser of 2 evils theme.

Oh well. People will just need to get over it. One day, probably not in my lifetime, there will be a legitimate third party. Hopefully less cracked than the two current ones. And unless some fabulous R or D is on the ballot, I will never again vote for either.

And by the way, I have not criticized anyone for voting as they wish. Funny that.

Just now, stevez51 said:

Maybe some people don't want to follow the hold your nose and vote or vote for the lesser of 2 evils theme.

You know that doesn't happen in the political world.

Just look at how much support third parties get in our elections.

You guys know this, you all look at the numbers, so it really is baffling why you guys put on this little show. It's so phony.

1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

Really.

You can shut down production and throw some people out of work. Or you can keep production lines rolling and build excess inventory that severely limits your cash flow, possibly endangering more jobs. What do you do?

You have limited resources. You have to cut your company's daycare funding or its veterans' jobs program. What do you do?

1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

Really.

You can shut down production and throw some people out of work. Or you can keep production lines rolling and build excess inventory that severely limits your cash flow, possibly endangering more jobs. What do you do?

You have limited resources. You have to cut your company's daycare funding or its veterans' jobs program. What do you do?

Sounds like something you did. I don't own a business.

10 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Nobody says they have to vote for one of the two major candidates. And nobody says people can't criticize that option.

13 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

There are always other elections on the ballot worth considering

1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

Sounds like something you did. I don't own a business.

I was responding to your statement that if there are only two bad options you just don't make a choice. That's not real (adult) life.

9 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

You know that doesn't happen in the political world.

Just look at how much support third parties get in our elections.

You guys know this, you all look at the numbers, so it really is baffling why you guys put on this little show. It's so phony.

This was the 1st time I voted 3rd party. If Kasich was the candidate vs Clinton he would have got my vote. If Biden had been the Dem choice vs Trump, Biden would have got my vote.

Just maybe if the 2 major parties and some of the media didn't monopolize the process by keeping out other choices it may change.

Just now, stevez51 said:

This was the 1st time I voted 3rd party. If Kasich was the candidate vs Clinton he would have got my vote. If Biden had been the Dem choice vs Trump, Biden would have got my vote.

Just maybe if the 2 major parties and some of the media didn't monopolize the process by keeping out other choices it may change.

I have voted 3rd party many times.  I agree that Kasich and Biden would have been more appealing to me than the two we had.  K vs B would have been a tough choice for me. 

5 minutes ago, demopublican said:

There are always other elections on the ballot worth considering

Sure, I didn't say not voting at all ......

12 hours ago, demopublican said:

She was the second worst candidate I could imagine.  I held my nose with vice grips and voted against Trump by voting for her.  If by any chance the DNC nominates her I will vote for Trump.  

Maybe Biden will run again in 2020. I agree he's much easier to vote for than Clinton. Will be funny to see all the people claiming they would have voted for him over Trump last year suddenly come up with excuses not to do it in 2020 (not that you'd be one of those people). 

27 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

We can see the clear evidence that contradicts this assertion in the White House today.

10 minutes ago, demopublican said:

I have voted 3rd party many times.  I agree that Kasich and Biden would have been more appealing to me than the two we had.  K vs B would have been a tough choice for me. 

Likewise

49 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

I wouldn't necessarily call a vote for a third party candidate a "wasted"vote. I would probably call it a childish vote.

You may dislike the 2 major candidates, got it. But you know one of them is going to win. Rather than making a grim, even unpleasant choice, the kind of choice adults make all the time, you take your ball and go home.

You then can claim you had no part in electing either yucky candidate under the laughable notion that both candidatees were equally bad. Which is clearly not the case in this situation (though to be fair, you'd go far to find someone as gruesomely inept as Trump).

So good for you. You kept your skirts clean and accomplished pretty much nothing.

I wasn't talking about 3rd party voting.

Aboutwell made the comment that a vote cast for the loser is a "wasted" vote then seemed to backtrack. 

Just trying for a little clarity.

15 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

Thanks! I don't know where we're gonna find one.:unsure:

I thought Johnson was a goofball but I thought Weld was reasonable. 

No more murderers in the convention would be a good start.

12 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Not for me... would have voted Biden over Kasich in a heartbeat... and yeah, I would have been much happier with those 2 choices

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Oh well. People will just need to get over it. One day, probably not in my lifetime, there will be a legitimate third party. Hopefully less cracked than the two current ones. And unless some fabulous R or D is on the ballot, I will never again vote for either.

And by the way, I have not criticized anyone for voting as they wish. Funny that.

I don't think our system is built for multi-parties. The founders loathed "factions". Our problem isn't so much three two party system as it is the weakness of parties now, who controls them and the tribalization of our society.

My daughter is disgusted with the state Democratic Party, so she has become a part if it, to change it from within. I think that is the way to fix the 2 party system. If Americans are unhapoy with them, they need to gethe involved. That's what a democracy is all about.

Edited by hst2

Just now, hst2 said:

I don't think our system is built for multi-parties. The founders loathed "factions". Our problem isn't so much three two party system as it is the weakness of parties now, who controls them and the tribalization of our society.

Oh, and you forgot the LARGEST problem.. all the damn money in the system.  If we are somehow able to get the money out all of the other problems we currently have with the parties eventually fix themselves

1 minute ago, Heisenberg said:

Maybe Biden will run again in 2020. I agree he's much easier to vote for than Clinton. Will be funny to see all the people claiming they would have voted for him over Trump last year suddenly come up with excuses not to do it in 2020 (not that you'd be one of those people). 

The political landscape is shifting, and abruptly. Trump (and Trump voters and seemingly the GOP power structure) has rejected the conservatism that defined the GOP for decades. It's no longer about patriotism, strong defense/leading the free world, free trade and small govt. It's nationalism, protectionism, no concern re deficit, and hating the press. Does that survive another cycle? Where does that leave traditional conservatives? 

Strange times.

1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

Oh, and you forgot the LARGEST problem.. all the damn money in the system.  If we are somehow able to get the money out all of the other problems we currently have with the parties eventually fix themselves

Bingo 

3 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Good luck with that.

Money has been the mother's milk of politics as long as there has been politics.

Just now, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Good luck with that.

Money has been the mother's milk of politics as long as there has been politics.

Not untold gobs of dark money... not corporations are people money... not 2 guys spending damn near a billion dollars money.  Of course money is necessary, but it needs to be regulated such that it isn't the driving force for EVERYTHING these folks do.  For instance, it shouldn't cost so damn much just to run a campaign to get elected.  These people spend so much time raising money it's no wonder they don't have time to properly represent the folks who elected them.

2 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Good luck with that.

I'm pretty sure not to this extent. Just thinking about TV ads, pretty sure they keep growing in frequency. By a LOT.

7 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Good luck with that.

You can take money out of the equation by voters getting educated. Think about it, when is the last time a political ad made you say "Wow after watching that, he's got my vote?" My answer would be never.