mrdeltoid

Home at last!

226 posts in this topic

Just now, Guido2 said:

OK thanks for the info.

But this ties back to what I was saying. In very simple terms.....I really wonder ....of all the posters we see here...on national and local. How many are from MD?

And I ask this because.....silly me....I thought these forums are based around MD viewpoints. Not from everyplace else....I thought real newspaper forums like NYT and WP are meant for that?

Sort of writing your local newspaper editor vs the NYTs.

But I guess I am finding out I am wrong.

My uncle lived in Baltimore and I used to go see the Orioles and Colts when I was young. That is my association. We lived in Pennsylvania when I grew up, but I just started liking the Baltimore teams. Now, I still follow sports somewhat but I have many other interests. I come here out of habit.

32 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I agree. I disagree with more than a few here but my views/opinions are my own and I do like to read other opinions even of those I disagree as long as they are not just repeated talking points or jibberish or just put out there to argue. I originally came here to discuss Baltimore sports, but those threads are getting as bad as the Nationals. Some people like to control the forum and do not want others to disagree.

Good post. ( training camp is right around the corner!);)

6 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

As long as it's not gerrymandered for the Democrats, everythings good to go. :D

Except I am a Democrat. 

I enjoy getting the viewpoints from others on Nationals and don't care if they are from MD or not since we are discussing National/World news.  I don't go to the locals very often because I get tired of reading everyone complain about the Democrats especially in Baltimore City.

1 minute ago, demopublican said:

Except I am a Democrat. 

Sorry, I didn't mean you personally.  It just seems that most posters here only complain about Maryland being gerrymandered and seem to forget that more states are heavily gerrymandered for Republicans.

15 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Sorry, I didn't mean you personally.  It just seems that most posters here only complain about Maryland being gerrymandered and seem to forget that more states are heavily gerrymandered for Republicans.

Florida has been fighting Gerrymandering with limited success for years.  The fact that it is this hard to stop tells you how powerful a weapon it is.  Any and every chance to eliminate this evil should be a priority.  I view it as voter suppression 

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article147501294.html

Edited by demopublican

5 hours ago, demopublican said:

Reminds me of a state I used to live in. 

Imagine living in a state where the party that won the majority vote in a presidential election makes up a minority of its Congressional delegation, sometimes a scant minority. There is some serious gerrymandering going on there.

Either way, it's a big reason why extremists control what Congress does. Even Boehner was too moderate.

2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Imagine living in a state where the party that won the majority vote in a presidential election makes up a minority of its Congressional delegation, sometimes a scant minority. There is some serious gerrymandering going on there.

Either way, it's a big reason why extremists control what Congress does. Even Boehner was too moderate.

Yup.  Maryland is as big a part of the problem as anywhere.  And don't believe for a second that Martin and the two Mikes did not work to keep Democrat blacks in line.  They want their votes but are not interested in sharing too much power. 

2 hours ago, demopublican said:

Florida has been fighting Gerrymandering with limited success for years.  The fact that it is this hard to stop tells you how powerful a weapon it is.  Any and every chance to eliminate this evil should be a priority.  I view it as voter suppression 

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article147501294.html

i agree and view it as voter suppression too.  In my opinion, it will never go away as it is deeply entrenched.  The courts may make a few states change their districts but the majority of gerrymandered states will stay that way.

1 minute ago, mrsmlh said:

i agree and view it as voter suppression too.  In my opinion, it will never go away as it is deeply entrenched.  The courts may make a few states change their districts but the majority of gerrymandered states will stay that way.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/6/1/1532608/-No-Maryland-is-not-the-most-gerrymandered-state-There-is-more-to-gerrymandering-than-ugly-shapes

In Maryland it was more about power for incumbents than it was power for the Democrat Party.  

22 hours ago, aboutwell said:

Sure they are... to think not would be like betting on the Mets... in a game between the Orioles and the Yankees... 

It makes no sense to vote for a party's candidate when you don't believe in the party they represent. White Sox fans believed for years Cubby fans were wasting their time. It's amazing how things can change. 

5 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I agree. I disagree with more than a few here but my views/opinions are my own and I do like to read other opinions even of those I disagree as long as they are not just repeated talking points or jibberish or just put out there to argue. I originally came here to discuss Baltimore sports, but those threads are getting as bad as the Nationals. Some people like to control the forum and do not want others to disagree.

Yah think?

Tell me do you think the sun will rise tomorrow?:D

2 hours ago, demopublican said:

Yup.  Maryland is as big a part of the problem as anywhere.  And don't believe for a second that Martin and the two Mikes did not work to keep Democrat blacks in line.  They want their votes but are not interested in sharing too much power. 

At least the Democratic Congressional delegation represents the party that won the national presidential election in the state.Obama carried Ohio and PA, but their delegations are dominated by Republicans.

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

At least the Democratic Congressional delegation represents the party that won the national presidential election in the state.Obama carried Ohio and PA, but their delegations are dominated by Republicans.

Who knew that state legislatures could be so important?

Btw....at least in pa it couldn't have happened without the complicity of the dems.

"Pa. Democrats helped GOP in gerrymandering to retain U.S. House control"

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/03/pa_democrats_helped_gop_in_ger.html

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Wow.  How bad are their local organizations?

Did Hillary win Ohio and Pa? Seems like I remember Trump winning those two

Edited by demopublican

7 hours ago, Sprightly said:

Oh well. You have lots to say about Baltimore City issues and you don't live or work in Baltimore City. So I guess you will just have to get over your issue.

:D don't mess with Sprightly!

FTR...Maryland born and raised

Edited by ODENTON

12 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Wow.  How bad are their local organizations?

Did Hillary win Ohio and Pa? Seems like I remember Trump winning those two

Gerrymandering.  More votes for Dem Congressional reps, but more Republicans reps elected.

28 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Gerrymandering.  More votes for Dem Congressional reps, but more Republicans reps elected.

That is why Trump won Ohio and PA?

14 minutes ago, demopublican said:

That is why Trump won Ohio and PA?

No. I can't explain it any better.

Hst2 posted

"Obama carried Ohio and PA, but their delegations are dominated by Republicans.'

A reference to the 2012 race. More votes for D reps, but more R reps elected due to gerrymandering.

i don't know about 2016, can't find the Congressional total vote,but wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened again.

it has nothing to do with Trump winning. Different votes, different races. 

1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

No. I can't explain it any better.

Hst2 posted

"Obama carried Ohio and PA, but their delegations are dominated by Republicans.'

A reference to the 2012 race. More votes for D reps, but more R reps elected due to gerrymandering.

i don't know about 2016, can't find the Congressional total vote,but wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened again.

it has nothing to do with Trump winning. Different votes, different races. 

People dont always vote party line.  I vote GOP local and Democrat or Third Party national.  HST does not understand for one second that a person can think from them selves. 

13 hours ago, demopublican said:

I don't vote for parties.  I vote for individual candidates. 

Same here...

4 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

It makes no sense to vote for a party's candidate when you don't believe in the party they represent. White Sox fans believed for years Cubby fans were wasting their time. It's amazing how things can change. 

I don't think you'll find any Party with whom you believe 100%... 

13 hours ago, demopublican said:

I would never vote or support Powell.  He should be tried for war crimes and treason. 

If you're basing that on his speech before the U.N. leading up to the Iraq war... that had to be my most disappointing moment for Colin Powell... I believe "W" used him... but he did allow himself to be used... 

23 hours ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

So help me here.

Is a vote cast for the loser a "wasted vote" or not?:confused:

In the final result... yes...