Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WKDWZD

A Time Lady?

14 posts in this topic

Ms Scaggs is a Whovian. She was pissed, I mean not pissed in the English sense, but she was really mad, but no, not mad in the English sense either.

Let's just say the choice raised a bit of a kerfuffle at our house and she was a bit perturbed.

She really wanted that ugly, dorky guy Kris Marshall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scaggsville said:

Ms Scaggs is a Whovian. She was pissed, I mean not pissed in the English sense, but she was really mad, but no, not mad in the English sense either.

Let's just say the choice raised a bit of a kerfuffle at our house and she was a bit perturbed.

She really wanted that ugly, dorky guy Kris Marshall.

Perturbed eh, not miffed? :P

She might get lucky with Kris Marshall in the 14th regeneration. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Perturbed eh, not miffed? :P

She might get lucky with Kris Marshall in the 14th regeneration. ;)

Miffed, I don't think adequately describes Ms Scaggs' vexation. She is peeved verging on disgruntled.

Apparently Ms Whittaker's work on Broadchurch has been less than stellar (according to Ms Scaggs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised but not shocked; I'm guessing they want to mix things up to keep it interesting. I'll tune in but my son is a bigger Whovian than I am; I still miss the old ones and I liked David Tennant quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried watching it a couple different times over the years but just couldn't get into it. Sorry. Big Fan of U.F.O. and have all of them and the 1st season of Space 1999 before they went off the wall in the 2nd and I lost interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bartman said:

Tried watching it a couple different times over the years but just couldn't get into it. Sorry. Big Fan of U.F.O. and have all of them and the 1st season of Space 1999 before they went off the wall in the 2nd and I lost interest.

Dr. Who  is a bit culti ... it's a little bit like Marmite, 'you either love it or hate it'. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2017 at 9:23 PM, Bartman said:

Tried watching it a couple different times over the years but just couldn't get into it. Sorry. Big Fan of U.F.O. and have all of them and the 1st season of Space 1999 before they went off the wall in the 2nd and I lost interest.

If you're talking about the 1970-1973 English cult classic UFO (pronounced "You-Foe") with S.H.A.D.O. (Supreme Headquarters, Alien Defence Organisation) Commander Edward Stryker...

That tv series was THE BOMB! - and way ahead of its time. The set, costumes, & film quality were state-of-the-art for 1970.

Capt. Kirk had nothing on Stryker!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 5:32 PM, WKDWZD said:

Perturbed eh, not miffed? :P

She might get lucky with Kris Marshall in the 14th regeneration. ;)

She's an appropriate replacement, from what i've seen.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

YEAH! We caught UFO on I think Ch45 when it came out in '70 or maybe '71. I remembered Gerry Anderson's Supercar and Stingray from when I was a kid and UFO just blew everything else away with their SFX modeling. Yeah you knew they were Models but they looked darn good to me. The Moonbase gals esp Lt. Ellis were really popular with the tight outfits & purple wigs. After that Space 1999 raised the bar even further but I didn't care for their 2nd season stories. Anderson made One full length movie "Journey to the far side of the Sun" also known as "Doppelganger" That was good too if you like all the Modeling they did in these series. I have all of them saved on hard drives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_(TV_series)

 

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep! I have "Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun (1969)" on my hard drive also. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

From what I remember, just from tuning into a couple of the Doctors' episodes long ago, the production values then around the same time were Terrible compared to Gerry Anderson's series. I remember some crummy looking robots and aliens and I was turned off on the Doctor pretty quick. Hard to shake that plus I'd have to pick up the storyline somewhere in the middle of it all. I just can't see me getting into the Doctor. Bottom line is I'm not interested. Pretty much like what was it, Douglas Adams? The "Hitchiker" books? Everyone was all Crazy about those back then. I really Tried to get through the 1st one but it just didn't do it for me. I'm more of a Hard SF fan. Larry Niven especially except for his stuff with "Magic" all involved. I want to read abt Bussard Ramjets, Hyperdrive, all the Techie stuff. Still waiting for someone to make the Ringworld movie. I want to see someone make a CGI Puppeteer! There were Rumors of the SciFi channel making a Mini-series some years ago but it never materialized. Oh Well....

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bartman said:

From what I remember, just from tuning into a couple of the Doctors' episodes long ago, the production values then around the same time were Terrible compared to Gerry Anderson's series. I remember some crummy looking robots and aliens and I was turned off on the Doctor pretty quick. Hard to shake that plus I'd have to pick up the storyline somewhere in the middle of it all. I just can't see me getting into the Doctor. Bottom line is I'm not interested. Pretty much like what was it, Douglas Adams? The "Hitchiker" books? Everyone was all Crazy about those back then. I really Tried to get through the 1st one but it just didn't do it for me. I'm more of a Hard SF fan. Larry Niven especially except for his stuff with "Magic" all involved. I want to read abt Bussard Ramjets, Hyperdrive, all the Techie stuff. Still waiting for someone to make the Ringworld movie. I want to see someone make a CGI Puppeteer! There were Rumors of the SciFi channel making a Mini-series some years ago but it never materialized. Oh Well....

So what's wrong with the 'Infinite Improbability Drive' then? There's no faster way to traverse the universe. ;) :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

So what's wrong with the 'Infinite Improbability Drive' then? There's no faster way to traverse the universe. ;) :lol:

You don't want to go Too Fast! The Puppeteer Quantum II hyperdrive I think would cover a LY in 5/4ths of a minute! Too Fast! You have to really watch the Mass Indicator. Get too close to some uncharted Singularity and it would be all over for you. Niven's "Known Space" series encompassed an area of around 60LY I think where many species were found, several Sentient and not always Friendly. Anyway I'm too Old now to be "Hopping Galaxies" as one other Doctor put it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0