Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Trump approves more H2B Visas

30 posts in this topic

Trump kicks off "Made In America" week by approving an increase in the kinds of Guest Workers that he uses at his hotels and resorts 

HuffPost:

The H-2B program allows workers from places like Mexico and Guatemala to come to the U.S., work for a few months at a government-set prevailing wage, and then return to their home countries, only to repeat the process the following year.

Large U.S. industries such as hospitality, seafood processing, and landscaping and forestry have come to rely on the relatively cheap labor supplied through the H-2B pipeline. Trump’s own businesses, including his resort Mar-a-Lago, have used the program.

But there’s been an outcry from employers in those industries saying they can’t find enough workers right now, as they’ve been squeezed by a dearth of visas and the low unemployment rate. Hoteliers in Maine, for instance, say they are barely functioning in what should be peak season. After appeals from employers in their home districts, representatives in Washington have been haranguing the administration to act.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_596cd174e4b03389bb1938c6

But there’s been an outcry from employers in those industries saying they can’t find enough workers right now, as they’ve been squeezed by a dearth of visas and the low unemployment rate. Hoteliers in Maine, for instance, say they are barely functioning in what should be peak season

What's your problem with this? Or is it just a Trump rant?

My guess it included... Russians!

5 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

What's your problem with this? Or is it just a Trump rant?

My problem is Trump is a hypocrite 

He has made it harder for the tech industry to get guest workers while continuing business as usual for the types of guest workers his businesses use

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, soulflower said:

My problem is Trump is a hypocrite 

He has made it harder for the tech industry to get guest workers while continuing business as usual for the types of guest workers his businesses use

So you don't actually have a problem with the increase in visas? Or is it type of visa that you have a problem with? How has he made it harder to bring in tech workers?

Edited by bmore_ken

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

So you don't actually have a problem with the increase in visas?

I think he has a problem with Trump looking out for Trump while screwing everyone else over. Why expand H2B visas and not H1Bs? 

4 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

I think he has a problem with Trump looking out for Trump while screwing everyone else over. Why expand H2B visas and not H1Bs? 

Thank you

I have said many times that I favor allowing more guest workers 

This thread is exposing Trump's hypocrisy 

25 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Large U.S. industries such as hospitality, seafood processing, and landscaping and forestry have come to rely on the relatively cheap labor supplied through the H-2B pipeline.

This is Trump?

20 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Thank you

I have said many times that I favor allowing more guest workers 

This thread is exposing Trump's hypocrisy 

How is bringing in more workers that according to your own story are needed hypocrisy?

16 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

This is Trump?

No. Hospitality is. Duh... :rolleyes: 

13 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

No. Hospitality is. Duh... :rolleyes: 

Quite possibly a landscaper or two as well...

11 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

So it's only his businesses that are benefitting? :confused:

I've never seen you bend yourself into so any contortions in a lame attempt to disagree with me :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is Trump doesn't have a problem with hiring immigrants instead of Americans when it affects his bottom line...

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I've never seen you bend yourself into so any contortions in a lame attempt to disagree with me :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is Trump doesn't have a problem with hiring immigrants instead of Americans when it affects his bottom line...

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand your rationale. You have a problem with the other companies that need workers getting the needed workers because Trump's businesses will benefit as well? Would you rather none of the businesses getting any visa increases so Trump's businesses don't get any? This increase doesn't only affect his bottom line.

Edited by bmore_ken

18 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand your rationale. You have a problem with the other companies that need workers getting the needed workers because Trump's businesses will benefit as well? Would you rather none of the businesses getting any visa increases so Trump's businesses don't get any? This increase doesn't only affect his bottom line.

He should have excluded the hospitality industry. :)

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I haven't criticized anyone but Trump. 

Because his businesses benefit from Guest Workers you have to question his motive for this policy. It's not rocket science :rolleyes:

Edited by soulflower

2 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

No, he should expand H1B visas too.

2 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Yeah I suppose the non Trump hospitality companies don't need workers. :huh: Partisan people crack me up.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Yeah I suppose the non Trump hospitality companies don't need workers. :huh: Partisan people crack me up.

How am I being Partisan?

Trump isn't a Liberal or Conservative. His ideology is mainly about expanding his own personal wealth and power. 

The tech companies need Guest Workers too but Trump made no accommodations for them. I wonder why...

Edited by soulflower

2 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

No, he should expand H1B visas too.

Agreed. It would be helpful for many specialty areas.

1 minute ago, soulflower said:

I haven't criticized anyone but Trump. 

Because his businesses benefit from Guest Workers you have to question his motive for this policy

It seems to me(from your link) that other businesses(non Trump businesses) need these workers also.

Just now, soulflower said:

How am I being Partisan?

Trump isn't a Liberal or Conservative. His ideology is mainly about expanding his own personal wealth and power. 

You seem to have an axe to grind against Trump when this move benefits other companies who need workers. Everything isn't about Trump.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, soulflower said:

How am I being Partisan?

The tech companies need Guest Workers too but Trump made no accommodations for them. I wonder why...

People have been asking for an expansion of H1B visas for years.  I wonder what stops it? Does he need to expand on Obama's last minute expansion?

Edited by Sprightly

1 minute ago, Sprightly said:

People have been asking for an expansion of H1B visas for years.  I wonder what stops it?

Uh oh :lol: