Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Trump approves more H2B Visas

30 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

It seems to me(from your link) that other businesses(non Trump businesses) need these workers also.

I never said they didn't. 

Other Businesses need H1B visas too but Trump didn't make any accommodations for them

He only did something for H2B visas because those are the types of workers he typically uses

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I never said they didn't. 

Other Businesses need H1B visas too but Trump didn't make any accommodations for them

Perhaps this is why that is.

The Senate Judiciary Committee recently held a hearing into abuses of the H-1B skilled guest worker visa program. Lawmakers heard experts describe how the use of foreign workers has come to dominate the IT industry, with many tech giants using the program to fire well-paid current workers and replace them with workers from abroad at significantly lower pay.

"The current system to bring in high-skill guest workers ... has become primarily a process for supplying lower-cost labor to the IT industry," two experts who testified at the hearing, Howard University's Ron Hira and Rutgers' Hal Salzman, wrote recently. "Although a small number of workers and students are brought in as the 'best and brightest,' most high-skill guest workers are here to fill ordinary tech jobs at lower wages."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/silenced-workers-who-lost-jobs-to-h-1b-visa-abuse-quietly-speak-out/article/2561856

Edited by bmore_ken

Yeah, but our healthcare industry could use more providers so H-1B visas would be very helpful. And it would be wonderful if the process wasn't so damn complicated and long.

Just my opinion based on my experience. :)

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Yeah, but our healthcare industry could use more providers so H-1B visas would be very helpful. And it would be wonderful if the process wasn't so damn complicated and long.

I'm sure there's some level of abuse with H2B visas also

One could make reasoned arguments about the benefits and problems with both programs. 

I just find Trump's compromise to be a bit self-serving given his dependence on H2B visas for some of his properties 

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I don't disagree, but soul brought up tech workers. :) For the record I personally would have no problem with a H-1B increase. I'm kind of curious why the previous president didn't.

Edited by bmore_ken