soulflower

Woman shot by the police after calling the police

124 posts in this topic

Star Tribune:

A 40-year-old woman who family members said called 911 to report a possible assault in the alley behind her home Saturday night was fatally shot by a Minneapolis police officer.

The shooting happened at the end of the alley on W. 51st Street between Washburn and Xerxes avenues S. in the city’s Fulton neighborhood.

The woman, Justine Damond, from Sydney, Australia, and her fiancé lived in the 5000 block of Washburn.

Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driver’s side door, sources said. No weapon was found at the scene.

http://m.startribune.com/woman-killed-in-officer-involved-shooting-in-south-minneapolis/434782213/#1

The officer in the passenger seat of the car fired through the driver's door and hit the woman? And he missed his partner? Sounds very fishy. Almost sounds like what someone with zero firearms training might do by accident, but a police officer? :o  This explanation is likely to be a doozy....:(

1 hour ago, Papi said:

The officer in the passenger seat of the car fired through the driver's door and hit the woman? And he missed his partner? Sounds very fishy. Almost sounds like what someone with zero firearms training might do by accident, but a police officer? :o  This explanation is likely to be a doozy....:(

You'd be amazed at some of the things I've seen trained police officers do with their guns, how's about a guy shooting himself in the leg while working in dispatch, another firing shot through a wall while sitting at his desk while he was "looking at his gun" , An instructor shooting himself in the groin ( fortunately it was a blank gun ) those are just what jumps to mind that I have personally witnessed, and then there was the case you all had back there where the instructor shot the trainee in the face thinking he had unloaded his gun for the training exercise.

But, like you, I'm incredulous at this one and wondering how it happened-- accidental seems to be the only thing that makes sense to me at this point, with what we know- which is very little. Maybe he had his gun out, it would not be unreasonable for cops to be uneasy about people approaching them while they're seated in the car, there have been a number of ambushes in this manner, and they're in a fairly vulnerable position that way. We also don't know what she was saying to them.

Edited by Saticon3

This seems inexplicable unless it was accidental.

31 minutes ago, jdsample said:

This seems inexplicable unless it was accidental.

It was no accident. He reached around his partner and fired multiple times. 

What possible viable explanation can the officer offer for pulling the trigger that will pass any kind of smell test?

if the event occurred as reported, that officer has to be found guilty of voluntary manslaughter at the least.

This is what happens when a segment of the society feel that it is justified for a police officer to shoot unarmed black males.

Hint: If they feel they can get away with it by killing black males they will feel as if they are powerful enough to do it to other races including whites.

Liberal whites are not filled with white guilt.  They are smart enough to know that if racists can do wickedness to blacks they won't stop there. Liberal whites are liberal because of their own self preservation ....not  because of white guilt.

Edited by EgyptKang
grammar

2 hours ago, Saticon3 said:

You'd be amazed at some of the things I've seen trained police officers do with their guns, how's about a guy shooting himself in the leg while working in dispatch, another firing shot through a wall while sitting at his desk while he was "looking at his gun" , An instructor shooting himself in the groin ( fortunately it was a blank gun ) those are just what jumps to mind that I have personally witnessed, and then there was the case you all had back there where the instructor shot the trainee in the face thinking he had unloaded his gun for the training exercise.

But, like you, I'm incredulous at this one and wondering how it happened-- accidental seems to be the only thing that makes sense to me at this point, with what we know- which is very little. Maybe he had his gun out, it would not be unreasonable for cops to be uneasy about people approaching them while they're seated in the car, there have been a number of ambushes in this manner, and they're in a fairly vulnerable position that way. We also don't know what she was saying to them.

Yet we must allow untrained citizens to walk, with guns, in pubic?

1 hour ago, FatBoy said:

It was no accident. He reached around his partner and fired multiple times. 

Damn!  It is inexplicable. 

1 minute ago, jdsample said:

Damn!  It is inexplicable. 

Yea. He has a couple of pending citizen complaints too. Which is probably not that unusual, but it doesn't look good.

"The officers’ body cameras were not turned on at the time and the squad camera did not capture the incident."

Hope the cop in the drivers seat man-up and say what actually happened and not lie like the cop did in the Jordan Edwards case.

"I’m so done with all this violence.”

you're not alone Zach

The only thing that amazes me is that we're not hearing the usual comments from the usual crowd we would usually be hearing had this white woman been a black male! 

Edited by ericpd

59 minutes ago, ODENTON said:

"The officers’ body cameras were not turned on at the time and the squad camera did not capture the incident."

Hope the cop in the drivers seat man-up and say what actually happened and not lie like the cop did in the Jordan Edwards case.

"I’m so done with all this violence.”

you're not alone Zach

I'm hoping the same thing.

As in all of these cases, I will reserve judgement until there is more information.  Right now it sounds incredulous. 

5 hours ago, ericpd said:

The only thing that amazes me is that we're not hearing the usual comments from the usual crowd we would usually be hearing had this white woman been a black male! 

I started to make a similar comment, but I knew I would take it too far.

Now is not my time...

10 hours ago, ericpd said:

In this case it was a black cop who shot an unarmed white woman.

Just wait for the "usual crowd" of police haters to suddenly change course and embrace the black Somali-immigrant cop.

7 minutes ago, PeterRabbit said:

Just wait for the "usual crowd" of police haters to suddenly change course and embrace the black Somali-immigrant cop.

Who are the "usual crowd" of police haters?  I don't know any of them.  There was one or two who could really be called cop haters who used to post here, but haven't really seen either of them in quite some time.  But at 109 posts, I wouldn't expect you'd know anything about them... unless of course....? :rolleyes:

Don't hold your breath waiting for any of the "usual crowd" of "police haters" to change course.  What you should be waiting for is the usual "comply or die" types... one poster in particular comes to mind... to NOT chime in and place the blame on the victim

Edited by banner1124

1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

Who are the "usual crowd" of police haters?  I don't know any of them.  There was one or two who could really be called cop haters who used to post here, but haven't really seen either of them in quite some time.  But at 109 posts, I wouldn't expect you'd know anything about them... unless of course....? :rolleyes:

I have no idea who the "usual crowd" of police haters are here.  Your reading comprehension needs work, as I said nothing about any "crowd" on this ridiculous forum.  But based on the 22,000+ posts you have made here, it's obviously a large part of you sad life.  Try getting outside once in a while, there's a great big beautiful world out there beyond the reachces of your keyboard.

I'm referring to the national groups of cop haters like BLM, Reverend Al Sharpton, Barack Obama, etc, and those who have an endless supply of media snippets anytime an unarmed person is shot by the police.

14 minutes ago, PeterRabbit said:

Link?

http://www.startribune.com/what-we-know-about-mohamed-noor-minneapolis-police-officer-who-fatally-shot-justine-damond/435018163/

After changing careers to join the Minneapolis Police Department in 2015, Mohamed Noor was lauded by the mayor and his fellow Somalis as a welcome addition to the force.

“I want to take a moment to recognize Officer Mohamed Noor, the newest Somali officer in the Minneapolis Police Department,” Mayor Betsy Hodges posted on Facebook last year. “Officer Noor has been assigned to the 5th Precinct, where his arrival has been highly celebrated, particularly by the Somali community in and around Karmel Mall.”

Noor, 31, who has two active complaints against him in his police file, is one of nine Somali officers in the department, and he became the first to patrol the Fifth Precinct in the city’s southwest neighborhoods. He worked the “middle watch” evening shift, and on Monday went from one of hundreds of the city’s anonymous beat cops to the latest officer embroiled in controversy after the fatal shooting of 40-year-old Justine Damond, an unarmed civilian, in her south Minneapolis alley after she called 911 to report a possible crime.

1 minute ago, PeterRabbit said:

I have no idea who the "usual crowd" of police haters are here.  Your reading comprehension needs work, as I said nothing about any "crowd" on this ridiculous forum.  But based on the 22,000+ posts you have made here, it's obviously a large part of you sad life.  Try getting outside once in a while, there's a great big beautiful world out there beyond the reachces of your keyboard.

I'm referring to the national groups of cop haters like BLM, Reverend Al Sharpton, Barack Obama, etc, and those who have an endless supply of media snippets anytime an unarmed person is shot by the police.

Oh give me a break.  Don't try to fall back on the reading comprehension crap.  Why don't you work on understand  what you posted.  When you made your statement about the "usual crowd" of police haters you made absolutely no mention of national groups of supposed cop haters (and then you present a very stupid list).  Absent any specificity from you in that regard, it's completely legitimate to assume you were talking about THIS FORUM.  So, it's not my reading comprehension that needs work, it's your ability to communicate what you mean.  For what it's worth, I think your claim that you were referring to national groups is complete bull***t and you're just covering your arse because you've been busted as a "not so new" poster. 

Oh, and as for my 22,000+ posts I've made here, perhaps you should do a little math.  I've been a member on this forum since August 2001.  So some simple math would tell you that my 22,000+ posts over that time period is remarkably light.  Hmmm, come to think of it... just like another former poster here you seem to like to take the words of other people's post and try to use them against them when responding... and you're no much better at it than that thing was.

What's with the land of a 10000 lakes?

Same state the black CCW holder was gunned down in and the cop walked.

Terrible police work when a witness to a crime ends up shot and killed by the very police she summoned for help.

Edited by jonsensback