Ode2Joy

'Nobody kill anybody': Murder-free weekend urged in Baltimore

207 posts in this topic

'Nobody kill anybody': Murder-free weekend urged in Baltimore

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-ceasefire-20170718-story.html#nt=oft06a-2la1

A 44-year-old mother might seem an unusual visitor on the drug corners of Baltimore, but Erricka Bridgeford has shown up for weeks to make her pitch for peace. 

Forget your grudges for one weekend, she urges the young men she finds. Help bring a 72-hour truce to a city besieged by gun violence.

…Organizers aim to stop the shooting from Friday, Aug. 4, through Sunday, Aug. 6, with a unified and blunt message: “Nobody kill anybody.” 

Their message has been printed on T-shirts and flyers. They designed a website and held community meetings. More than 1,600 people visited their Facebook page. The grass-roots campaign has swelled since it began in May.

…Community ceasefires, however, have failed to stem the violence in the past. The group Mothers of Murdered Sons called for a ceasefire over Mother’s Day weekend, but at least four people were shot, including a 59-year-old man and 17-year-old woman. Both were killed.

At least someone in the kill zone is trying to do something. 

Good idea, won't do a lick.

O/U on people killed this weekend -- 4.5

Is this where we start a pool on how many get killed on Cease Fire weekend?

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, retired said:

But there's a FB page, and they got tshirts an all!!

:rolleyes:

Edited by PinkFlamingo

5 minutes ago, retired said:

That is kinda sick....but face it a sad reality. I think that 'they' think that 'ohhhh boy the other guy is going to put down his gun' what a great opportunity to even the score.

Now some may actually put down the gun. And they will be dog meat. And the others that didn't do that run into others that didn't do that ....well guess what happens.

The women has GREAT intentions and kudo's to her for trying. But it is a fool's errand....much like prayer meetings, take back the streets marches, prayer vigil's and 'pop-up' events.

But here is hoping.

I think back to the talks I had with black guys about their experiences at the long ago "million man march".

To a man they said it was a great experience and that there were everything from executives to gang-bangers in attendance. No one was beefing and everyone got along because the mood of the event and no one wanted to be the one to ruin it. Maybe the idea can spread.

It's gotta start somewhere and I applaud the effort.

They can just move up the killing schedule and triple up on Thursday. 

5 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Good idea, won't do a lick.

O/U on people killed this weekend -- 4.5

How does one kill a half a person?

I (finally) opened my Sunpaper. "Nobody kill anybody" for a weekend.

Damn, why didn't someone think of this before?!! 

Soooo simple! :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, VOSA said:

How does one kill a half a person?

Maybe a midget?

Liberals trying the conservative approach of personal accountability and responsibility ......

So a quick poll;

What do you think this idea will do this weekend?

1. Homicides will go on as normal, same rate
  2. Homicides will go down somewhat
  3. Homicides will go down dramatically
  4. Homicides will go up somewhat
  5. Homicides will go up dramatically
  6. Why have this stupid poll

Do what they do here in York, Pa just shoot them in the leg lots of people walking around with limps.

38 minutes ago, daravenator said:

Do what they do here in York, Pa just shoot them in the leg lots of people walking around with limps.

I don't think the boys in BC can be that accurate. :lol: As we have seen in the paper.

Two murders so far as of this morning.  One was a 97 year old man.  It just keeps getting worse.

8 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Two murders so far as of this morning.  One was a 97 year old man.  It just keeps getting worse.

It's not the Don't Kill weekend yet! 

26 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

So much for an idealistic but futile idea.:(

55 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

It's not for 2 weeks. 🙄

Let them get all the killings out of the way now.

21 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Let them get all the killings out of the way now.

Good idea, there's only 162 days left to set a new record.  B)

On 7/19/2017 at 8:57 AM, Ode2Joy said:

At least someone in the kill zone is trying to do something. 

I agree.  The community has to demand change.  This is what is needed.  We just need 10,000 times as much of this attitude 

97-year-old man found slain in his East Baltimore home

About 6:50 p.m. Friday, officers were called to the 1700 block of Darley Ave. in the Darley Park neighborhood for a report of a suspicious death. Family members told police that they arrived at the house and found Waddell Tate unresponsive, police said. When officers arrived, they found signs of trauma to Tate’s body, police said. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Police said, they found signs of forced entry but haven't been able to determine if anything was taken from the home.

“I’m just not certain if hell is enough for this type of person who inflicted this type of harm on a 97-year-old,” police spokesman T.J. Smith said during a Saturday news conference. He urged anyone with information about Tate's death to aid police.

Baltimore police are searching for people of interest in connection to a fatal stabbing Friday evening.

A man was stabbed to death in a carryout called Lake Trout in the Edmondson Village Shopping Center in Baltimore, police said.

Officers went to the 4500 block of Edmondson Ave. shortly before 8 p.m. and found a 45-year-old man suffering from stab wounds. He was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-stabbing-shooting-20170721-story.html

Posted (edited)

I have been in New Orleans over the last few days and sadly, watching the morning news is much like watching it in Baltimore. Shootings, murders, police officers shot.  I am beginning to think that there are no solutions for it.

Edited by Sprightly

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Sprightly said:

I have been in New Orleans over the last few days and sadly, watching the morning news is much like watching it in Baltimore. Shootings, murders, police officers shot.  I am beginning to think that there are no solutions for it.

Oh there are solutions.....not just what the lib/dem/hug a thug people will accept.

Hmmmm kind of strange...except for the poor white guy getting killed.....I don't see anything in todays paper about any form of violence in BC.

Hey maybe it worked :)

Or maybe the Sun is ahhhhhhhh not being completely honest about things. :rolleyes:

I'll dig for a bit.

Edited by Guido2