Ode2Joy

'Nobody kill anybody': Murder-free weekend urged in Baltimore

207 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, Baltimatt said:

What's your fixation with Freddie Gray?

He is the embodiment of what Baltimore city has become and a clear indicator of what it will continue to be.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:59 AM, Baltimatt said:

What's your fixation with Freddie Gray?

Not just him ....but in the 'locals' posters and media in general.

On the one hand we have the 'pooorrrrr freddie' group and on the other we have 'poster boy freddie gray ....for all that is wrong with BC' group.

For better or worse 'he' is a convenient summary/talking point on both sides.

JMO.

1 hour ago, FJBlacknight said:

He is the embodiment of what Baltimore city has become and a clear indicator of what it will continue to be.

Nah. He was just a dumb druggie. Don't make him any more than he aspired to be. 

I'm glad that people are going to continue even if people still died.  It's not costing anyone a penny and I doubt that anyone expects things to change over a weekend. Maybe it will encourage a few people to be real parents. 

As for Freddie Gray, he didn't deserve to die the way he did no matter what. 

3 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

As for Freddie Gray, he didn't deserve to die the way he did no matter what. 

I'm actually shocked to see you type that :o

24 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm actually shocked to see you type that :o

That's because you think I'm somebody that I'm not.

Freddie Gray didn't do anything that contributed to his own death IMO.  He wasn't secured in that van and there's way too many things going on with the PD in the city that raise real questions and concerns.

There's too many instances caught on video of people being punched out by cops and things being reenacted or staged to not question things.  Just look at the damn members of the police gun squad that were arrested.

12 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Your posts generally show who you are, which is why I was surprised your previous post came off your keyboard. 

On 8/7/2017 at 3:58 PM, uche said:

I don't want to say that the people who sponsor these "media friendly" events, like "no killing for this weekend..." are simply seeking face time on TV. but!!! any 2nd year Social major can see that this kind of action does nothing to stem killings, crime, etc. To deal with this issue realistically, we've got to acknowledge that raising children is the key. You let your 1-5 year old succumb to the influences of "lil wayne, ghostface killer, Trey songs, chris brown, etc.", with their violent, misogynistic orientation, and a demonstrated  lack of love for their own people, who also happen to be black, and you get a damn good idea of how black youth have become so violent, uncaring, callous and murderous. But, that music is not the sole source of black mis-socialization. Single mothers who have no idea how to foster achievement in their children. Brothers who impregnant these "unresponsible " sisters and simply walk away. It goes on and on. But the solution is NOT in slogans, 1-3 days "OBSERVATIONS" or anything that draws the media. What it takes is social awareness. Social responsibility and a termination of the self induced delusion that whatever we do (good or bad) it's "their" fault. 

I understand the intent of your theory and I do agree with much of it but at the same time, you have to careful not to generalize so much.  It's certainly you're right and I'm not telling you how to think but I work around a lot of kids/young adults and many of them are in fact caring and decent people.  Quite a few of them have only one parent, some who are obviously neglected and yet, have a surprising grasp of why it shouldn't be that way.  I don't sense a violent, callous and certainly not a murderous mind set.  Yes, they listen to hip-hop and hear all the graphic and degrading language and yet, they still are polite to me and if I ask them do some job related work, they are more than willing to do so.  And if they hop aboard the "no killing for this weekend" band wagon, it's at least giving them a sense of what's right and what's wrong.  It may not slow down the murders but in the constant battle between good and evil, it's more positive than negative in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, FJBlacknight said:

So you're saying that a two-bit drug addict dealer is the personification and symbol for what Baltimore stands for? 

2 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Freddie Gray didn't do anything that contributed to his own death IMO.  He wasn't secured in that van and there's way too many things going on with the PD in the city that raise real questions and concerns.

There's too many instances caught on video of people being punched out by cops and things being reenacted or staged to not question things.  Just look at the damn members of the police gun squad that were arrested.

So based on that summation, you concluded that the Freddie Gray did nothing that contributed to his own demise? Very perceptive. 

37 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

So you're saying that a two-bit drug addict dealer is the personification and symbol for what Baltimore stands for? 

Unfortunately, it is pretty much the perception of anyone beyond the boarders of Baltimore County. We the buffer area between BC and the rest of the world...the county....sort of get it.

The rest of the world.....like tourists, businesses and $$$$$$$$$$ see the 'symbol'.

Posted (edited)

I just think some people are more violent than others and none of us will ever live long enough to see it change.

I've been waiting for it to change for over 40 years and it did change!

It got worse.

Last night, in Edmondson Village they shot and killed a Dollar General Store manager who was well liked by the neighborhood.

Everyone knew him because everyone went to Dollar General.

Now he's downtown in the M.E's office in a refrigerator, cold.

I spoke with him last week and he rung up my daughters purchase just 30 minutes before he was gunned down.

It's something you have to live with especially if you live around violent people.

Edited by prodigalson1
(I wonder why my sentences are spaced out like that?)

11 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

I just think some people are more violent than others and none of us will ever live long enough to see it change.

I've been waiting for it to change for over 40 years and it did change!

It got worse.

Last night, in Edmondson Village they shot and killed a Dollar General Store manager who was well liked by the neighborhood.

Everyone knew him because everyone went to Dollar General.

Now he's downtown in the M.E's office in a refrigerator, cold.

I spoke with him last week and he rung up my daughters purchase just 30 minutes before he was gunned down.

It's something you have to live with especially if you live around violent people.

Horrible. People simply have no respect for human life.

Here is a link to the shooting:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-overnight-shooting-20170809-story.html

1 minute ago, naive said:

Horrible. People simply have no respect for human life.

Here is a link to the shooting:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-overnight-shooting-20170809-story.html

Thank you for that. It just so sad, so sad.

He ribbed me about talking to my self last week while trying to decide what soda to get.

He won't joke with me anymore.

Then when the store moves out the neighborhood a lot of people are then forced to go other places. I'm sure Family Dollar, three doors away is not feeling too safe.

Damn, damn, what if I had applied for that job, a few years ago I would have.

:(

1 hour ago, prodigalson1 said:

Thank you for that. It just so sad, so sad.

He ribbed me about talking to my self last week while trying to decide what soda to get.

He won't joke with me anymore.

Then when the store moves out the neighborhood a lot of people are then forced to go other places. I'm sure Family Dollar, three doors away is not feeling too safe.

Damn, damn, what if I had applied for that job, a few years ago I would have.

:(

Life changes in an instant, and folks are just so numb to the fact that there are so many killings, that for the most part, the news just has no impact. Until it hits home.

Please stay on topic and stop talking about other posters.  If you think someone is an altie, take it to Talk Admin, and don't discuss it here.

15 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Please stay on topic

99.99999% of the threads fail to stay on topic. Glad you got this one cleaned up though! SMH..

Suggesting a poster is someone else who used to post here.

13 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Suggesting a poster is someone else who used to post here.

Who did that?

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Who did that?

On this thread, no one.

I understand why Ode's recent responses have shocked you. The sudden, new persona could take some getting used too.

Personally, from the recent posts I've read, I like it, but yes it's shocking.

8 minutes ago, naive said:

On this thread, no one.

I understand why Ode's recent responses have shocked you. The sudden, new persona could take some getting used too.

Personally, from the recent posts I've read, I like it, but yes it's shocking.

Someone must have. It wasn't Ken.

7 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Since the short lived conversation last night was between Ode and Ken, and if Ken didn't mention anything, then I guess no one did, unless Ode mentioned something, but it was certainly no mention of any of that in the post that was initially removed.

The posts were civil.

it's baffling.

2 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Did you see it?