Ode2Joy

Body camera footage shows officer planting drugs, public defender says

39 posts in this topic

Body camera footage shows officer planting drugs, public defender says

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-body-camera-footage-20170719-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1la1 

Baltimore police and prosecutors have launched investigations after being alerted to body camera footage that the public defender’s office says shows an officer planting drugs. 

The footage is from a January drug arrest. It shows an officer placing a soup can, which holds a plastic bag, into a trash-strewn lot. The officer can then be seen walking to the street, where he flips on his body camera.

“I’m gonna go check here,” the officer says. He returns to the lot and picks up the soup can, removing a plastic bag filled with white capsules.

This is REAL bad news if this turns out to be true.  There's been a lot of big-time corruption alleged lately that involves the city police. 

Wow, that definitely is a bad look.

How can the camera record 30 seconds before it's turned on??? 

38 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

How can the camera record 30 seconds before it's turned on??? 

That is a good function.  Even better if it goes thirty seconds after. 

This cop should be held without bail for 7 months in the same cell. 

11 minutes ago, demopublican said:

That is a good function.  Even better if it goes thirty seconds after. 

This cop should be held without bail for 7 months in the same cell. 

Demo, my question is how does it do that?

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I have no idea.  I am sure the cop (and a couple hundred of his buddies) is wondering the same thing 

Oh great, it's on the nat'l NBC news.

:rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Oh great, it's on the nat'l NBC news.

:rolleyes:

Good,  Police need to tear down the walls and stop protecting bad cops.  Think this was the first time these guys did this?

12 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Good,  Police need to tear down the walls and stop protecting bad cops.  Think this was the first time these guys did this?

Probably not. 

But it looks so bad for Baltimore....again.

I read elsewhere that the cameras always record a 30 second loop.  So once the camera is turned on it grabs the thirty seconds previous.

Posted (edited)

Duplicate 

Edited by demopublican

In this case, it only looks bad because it is bad.  It's very bad.  It casts doubt over a lot of arrests now. This comes on the heels of the gun squad indictments.  Maybe some police officers on here can suggest what can be done to fix problems like this in the PD and comment on how deep and widespread stuff like this might be within the department.

36 minutes ago, demopublican said:

I read elsewhere that the cameras always record a 30 second loop.  So once the camera is turned on it grabs the thirty seconds previous.

Interesting 

42 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

In this case, it only looks bad because it is bad.  It's very bad.  It casts doubt over a lot of arrests now. This comes on the heels of the gun squad indictments.  Maybe some police officers on here can suggest what can be done to fix problems like this in the PD and comment on how deep and widespread stuff like this might be within the department.

Defense attornies are diving into records now.  Anyone this guy arrested is walking.  Some criminals are going free because this cop is a liar.  Cops need to speak up and clean their own ranks.  The thin blue line kills.  

14 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

A lot of security cameras record infinite loops and only "send" video when there is motion.  I wouldn't doubt the same technology exists in this case.  If it is, I venture to bet there is a way to get even earlier video if they needed it.

It's just as troubling that the other cops were heard laughing after what sure as hell looks like a staging of this finding because they obviously knew what was going on.  All three should be suspended and prosecuted if this turns out to be what it looks like it is. None of them can ever be trusted again even if this is some kind of staged reenactment.

Cases will wind up getting thrown out and this kind of stuff seriously damages trust in the community they serve even further, and rightfully so.

Nobody ever said police were perfect.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, demopublican said:

I have no idea.  I am sure the cop (and a couple hundred of his buddies) is wondering the same thing 

I am taking an educated/IT guess here.

I surmise that this particular camera has a continuous feed back loop. Much like your 'sleep mode' on your computer. It is ALWAYS recording in 30 second clips and overwrites itself with the next 30 seconds.

My thinking is that since the cops don't have them turned on all the time BUT if the situation warrants will turn them on capturing 30 seconds worth of video with the point at which the button was pushed. Thus REALLY captured and part of the record.

This would be done to capture what lead to the cop having to turn on the cam in the first place.....ie....crime in progress.

Seems the cops forgot that point. If they had wandered around for a minute or two....it would never became part of the record.

Edited by Guido2

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Nobody ever said police were perfect.

Only one person was perfect and they nailed him to a cross. I am not a Bible thumper....it just sounded right.

Unfortunately, once again bad cops will taint the rest...no matter what the 'good guys do'.

Hope they drop a very very big hammer on them. And quickly to put this to rest before the 'taint' spreads.

Edited by Guido2

It certainly looks very bad at first blush. But Commissioner Davis said there are other videos to be studied that may provide a different perception. And the officers' statements have yet to be reported.

For the sake of BPD I hope that's true but if the officer did indeed plant the dope, I hope he becomes a guest of the State for a very long time, as a reminder to other officers that you can't do that any more and expect to get away with it.

From Germany's Der Spiegel.

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Probably not. 

But it looks so bad for Baltimore....again.

Maybe a referendum vote is needed to change the name.....

How does Badagainmore sound? Or how about Morebadfrommore.

Has a ring to it .....:lol:

Well there is a bright side....at least we aren't the same size of Chicago or Detroit. Think of the numbers! :rolleyes:

SMH

Edited by Guido2

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

From Germany's Der Spiegel.

Hmmmm yah think that Bmore is the butt end of most bad things....damn  Der Spiegel has this.

BTW I thought everyone was supposed to be in uniform now...not hoodies.

The commis. better be working on his resume.

Next man/women up!

Edited by Guido2