PeterRabbit

Ocean City PD Prepares for Unsanctioned "College Beach Week" Event

101 posts in this topic

During a similar unannounced and unsanctioned event last July, a series of incidents connected with the event led to a dozen arrests after unusually large crowds of college-age individuals roamed the Boardwalk amid the rest of the big crowd on a hot summer night in late July.

On Tuesday, the Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) advised residents and visitors to expect an unsanctioned event that will likely bring thousands of college-aged visitors to the resort on the weekend of July 21-23. The College Beach Weekend event is being promoted on various social media platforms, specifically Twitter under #CBW2K17, encouraging participants to come to Ocean City on those dates for a variety of planned activities.

The unruliness and mob-mentality witnessed during last year’s College Beach Weekend event began with one individual knocking over a trashcan and spilling its contents on the Boardwalk on a busy Saturday night in late July. When the OCPD arrested the individual, he became aggressive toward the officers and a large, hostile crowd began to form. In that initial incident, numerous suspects assaulted police officers as they attempted to disperse the crowd.

That incident on 1st Street was a precursor of sorts for a larger incident yet to come later the same night further up the Boardwalk. Ocean City Police observed a large, disorderly crowd estimated at over 200 in the area of 7th Street and the Boardwalk. According to police reports, individuals in the crowd were yelling profanities and some began throwing bottles and other objects. The crowd was hostile and aggressive toward police officers attempting to disperse them in what was characterized by one witness as a “legitimate stampede.” Dozens of officers responded to the scene.

The police will be vastly outnumbered again.  OC is not a place you want to be this weekend.

I'll be close by in Fenwick so I'll make sure I avoid OC like the clap even more than usual.

Posted (edited)

I would avoid the boardwalk, and perhaps old OC.

OCMD is a big place and these suckers want to wild out in a condensed area so I would say areas north of 30th Street will be fine.

Edited by Pickle20

Bring in the NG.  Seriously.

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

I would avoid the boardwalk, and perhaps old OC.

OCMD is a big place and these suckers want to wild out in a condensed area so I would say areas north of 30th Street will be fine.

That's true.  But I would up that to at least the 90 bridge.

They will be migrating around Secrets, Fager's and Mackies for sure.

Posted (edited)

Such is the power of social media.

Oooppssss be right back .... I just got a tweet. :lol:

Back....well...I think it is pretty simple....as the PD....lock up who you can when you can....and hope that their daddy isn't running for office. :angry:

Those two sets of rules thingys are a pain in the butt for cops.

Edited by Guido2

18 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

That's true.  But I would up that to at least the 90 bridge.

They will be migrating around Secrets, Fager's and Mackies for sure.

You say you avoid OC, yet you seem to know the popular spots ;)

Just now, PinkFlamingo said:

You say you avoid OC, yet you seem to know the popular spots ;)

Still eat at several places.  But I can't remember when I have been to the boardwalk before 9 am in season.

Hope that answers your question on my personal life, now back to the topic. 

17 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Still eat at several places.  But I can't remember when I have been to the boardwalk before 9 am in season.

Hope that answers your question on my personal life, now back to the topic. 

Uh, you're the one offering up all the information of where you will and won't be. :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Uh, you're the one offering up all the information of where you will and won't be. :rolleyes:

And that has what to do with this topic?

Of course I know OC and it's "popular spots".  They are still popular when you one week in the summer types go back home when the weather changes.

3 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

And that has what to do with this topic?

Of course I know OC and it's "popular spots".  They are still popular when you one week in the summer types go back home when the weather changes.

Do you know how often I go to OC? How do you know that information? 

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Do you know how often I go to OC? How do you know that information? 

Lucky guess given your lack of knowledge of the issues there.

Not too far from you assuming I know nothing about OC because I avoid the boardwalk during the tourist season..

Posted (edited)

what happened last year

edit nevermind i found it

Edited by DreadPirateRoberts

I like water cannons great way to get them running.

These agitators will go to OCMD to be confrontational, but then will decry law enforcement attempts to shut them down.

On 7/20/2017 at 7:53 AM, PeterRabbit said:

Aren't the police always vastly outnumbered?

Posted (edited)

When and where is a thong considered a bathing suit?

Answer:   This weekend in Ocean City, MD on the boardwalk.  Not a nice show for a family with young kids.

Also saw state police and many OCPD patrolling the boardwalk this weekend.

Was not there in person but saw it on live webcam ...

Edited by Daan

1 hour ago, Daan said:

When and where is a thong considered a bathing suit?

Answer:   This weekend in Ocean City, MD on the boardwalk.  Not a nice show for a family with young kids.

Also saw state police and many OCPD patrolling the boardwalk this weekend.

Was not there in person but saw it on live webcam ...

No offense, try as you might, you cannot shield your kids from these sights nowadays. For better or worse, they are commonplace.

Glad the city had fair warning and ramped up.

Peaceful and mellow without a cop in sight in Fenwick:D

Can't say I saw anything at Rehoboth like what I saw in Ocean City.

If this is commonplace in Ocean City, then I'll encourage my kids to avoid OC with my grand children.

Thanks for the heads up.

3 hours ago, Daan said:

Can't say I saw anything at Rehoboth like what I saw in Ocean City.

If this is commonplace in Ocean City, then I'll encourage my kids to avoid OC with my grand children.

Thanks for the heads up.

That's a shame. You'd be depriving your grandkids of the fun of the famous boardwalk, Trimpers rides and the other family friendly attractions that so many other kids enjoy. Not to mention the summer memories that carry you into adulthood. 

Sorry, I don't agree.  I have great memories of summers in OC starting in 1962.  I stopped going to OC in the 90s and what I see now is not anything I, and I doubt my grand children, would want to remember.  To me OC is not the family oriented place it once was.