Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Baltimore Is Paralyzed on Catherine Pugh’s Watch

28 posts in this topic

http://www.splicetoday.com/baltimore/baltimore-is-paralyzed-on-catherine-pugh-s-watch#.WXZvpcM5eYM.twitter

Catherine Pugh, mayor of Baltimore, seems to be everywhere but nowhere, an elusive figure in a high-profile job at a time when the city needs a bold leader to kick some butt and get the staggering town moving again.

There’s a rhythm to cities. Cities live, cities die, cities are born again and thrive. A few years back, Baltimore seemed to have found its groove. Good things were happening all over town, and, most of all, there were signs of hope. Then Freddie Gray’s death occurred, which appears to be the line of demarcation between then and now, hope and despair, go and stop. Life in Baltimore as we knew it ended in the spring of 2015. For if an alien from outer space dropped down in the city and asked a Baltimorean to take me to your leader, the Baltimorean wouldn’t know where to go.

Baltimore is paralyzed right now, under Pugh’s watch. That might seem a harsh judgement, but it comes with the job of elected leader of a big city. The buck stops at Pugh’s desk, but it’s her job to deflect the buck before it arrives.

She seemed to hit the ground running, but as far as I can tell is now spinning her wheels.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.  Can't remember his name.  A republican was running for mayor.  In one of his short interviews.  He was asked what he would do different.

He said he wasn't sure, but it couldn't be any worse than the current mess.

Voting on and on for the same party and expecting different results, just doesn't make a lot of sense.

30 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.  Can't remember his name.  A republican was running for mayor.  In one of his short interviews.  He was asked what he would do different.

Great platform to run on. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, overtaxed said:

Voting on and on for the same party and expecting different results, just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Alan Walden is too nice of a man to be Mayor .......

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

At least he was honest.  I think ben jealous is using that platform in his governor run.  HIs interview just said, "going to start a movement".  Whatever that means.

2 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

At least he was honest.  I think ben jealous is using that platform in his governor run.  HIs interview just said, "going to start a movement".  Whatever that means.

This thread isn't about Jealous or the governor race. I don't see the relevance. 

I always thought she looked like a gazelle caught in headlights anyway...

Posted (edited)

She knew what she was getting into but in her defense, as noted in the opinion piece, she inherited a mess. And seemingly she also inherited a City Council that goes up against her more often than they have other mayors in the past.

Perhaps she isn't liberal enough to be Mayor of Baltimore.

Edited by Sprightly

1 hour ago, overtaxed said:

Maybe take a laxative? :P

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

This thread isn't about Jealous or the governor race. I don't see the relevance. 

It's actually about the results (and failings) of decades of Democratic leadership in the city. What the state does not need is to adopt that model of failure, which is what Ben Jealous would bring to the table. 

5 minutes ago, Papi said:

It's actually about the results (and failings) of decades of Democratic leadership in the city. What the state does not need is to adopt that model of failure, which is what Ben Jealous would bring to the table. 

Psychic? You don't know what Ben Jealous would bring to the table, but he's the only black person in the race thus far so he must be attacked first :rolleyes: 

10 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Psychic? You don't know what Ben Jealous would bring to the table, but he's the only black person in the race thus far so he must be attacked first :rolleyes: 

He is a self described progressive Democrat. We do not need someone that far left in the State House, whether he is white, brown, or green. There needs to be a counter balance to the Democratically controlled legislature, not a governor who would encourage the general assembly to go even futher left than it already is.  

1 minute ago, Papi said:

He is a self described progressive Democrat. We do not need someone that far left in the State House, whether he is white, brown, or green. There needs to be a counter balance to the Democratically controlled legislature, not a governor who would encourage the general assembly to go even futher left than it already is.  

Has he said how'd he'd govern? I haven't heard anything. Link?

Just now, Marshan Man said:

Has he said how'd he'd govern? I haven't heard anything. Link?

How would any progressive Democrat govern in a state with a legislature controlled by the Democratic party? Figuring that out is not rocket science. If you need a link for that.....SMH 

4 minutes ago, Papi said:

How would any progressive Democrat govern in a state with a legislature controlled by the Democratic party? Figuring that out is not rocket science. If you need a link for that.....SMH 

Gee. I dunno. Maybe we just have to give him a chance... 

6 minutes ago, Papi said:

The same way they have been for the last 60+ years. It appears that the "No Experience Needed" requirement is being taken way too seriously. 

1 hour ago, Papi said:

You should try reading the comment I actually addressed. It had nothing to do with democratic leadership. But I know responding off topic is how it works around here.

34 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

The same way they have been for the last 60+ years. It appears that the "No Experience Needed" requirement is being taken way too seriously. 

Worked for the president

4 hours ago, Sprightly said:

She knew what she was getting into but in her defense, as noted in the opinion piece, she inherited a mess. And seemingly she also inherited a City Council that goes up against her more often than they have other mayors in the past.

Perhaps she isn't liberal enough to be Mayor of Baltimore.

Actually, eight new members were elected to the City Council.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/politics/bs-md-ci-council-20161107-story.html

Bottom line - Baltimore City is a disaster area. I don't know if ANY leadership could change the direction of the downward spiral. I am just glad I live pretty far away from it. 

10 hours ago, Papi said:

Bottom line - Baltimore City is a disaster area. I don't know if ANY leadership could change the direction of the downward spiral. I am just glad I live pretty far away from it. 

So you've told us 50 times. We get it already. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Worked for the president

My point exactly...monkey see monkey do!

6 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

So you've told us 50 times. We get it already. :rolleyes:

And if the madness in the city continues you may hear it 50 more times from me. :P

On 7/25/2017 at 6:13 AM, bmore_ken said:

Hey it worked for Trump. :lol: