Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowie-Bruce

CTE found in 99% of brains of deceased former NFL players

26 posts in this topic

Per today's CNN article. Sorry, I am unable to post the link. 111 brains studied, CTE found in 110 of them. This devastating news should be the lead on every sports program, but I'm sure that won't be the case.

It's becoming very hard to follow the NFL these days.

Yea, I've posted about CTE on here before ...... 

This isn't surprising to folks that have been following this story .....

Every fan should read League of Denial.....

The NFL is very much like the tobacco companies .....

This study has zero significance until we learn what the % of signs of CTE appear  in identically aged non-football players.

Further, these were likely brains from only ex-players who experienced symptoms as donated their brains.  The protein that builds up is common in older ppl and therefore it needs to be determined what is the standard amount where it is "CTE".

definitely concerning but nowhere near proof.

Agreed that this is a biased sample, no doubt about it ......

As to your comment about the control group of non-football players, that's a non-starter since this disease, in this specific form was not observed until recently and only in football players, not in the general population . ......

When they autopsied Mike Webster they thought he was a boxer, not a lay person ......

We can't have enough information on CTE, it's good that it's being studied, talked about, etc.  At the very least, the NFL can continue to do what it can to make the game safer(without turning it into flag football). 

The study did in fact have a "disclaimer" from what I saw on NFLN that the players studied had complained of symptoms.  There are obviously many players with no symptoms as well, and presumably, no CTE.  As safety and equipment improves, it will be critical to see if the incidences of CTE decrease, but that could take years, maybe decades to see the results. 

Heck, I'd be interested in seeing how many soccer players have it, considering that they rattle their brains quite often heading balls.  That jolt is probably pretty significant, and frequent. 

Ideally, somehow they find a way to reverse the effects, or treat them somehow.

18 hours ago, Balmerboh said:

This study has zero significance until we learn what the % of signs of CTE appear  in identically aged non-football players.

CTE is not found in non-football players or boxers, to my knowledge.

18 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

CTE is not found in non-football players or boxers, to my knowledge.

You are correct about it not being found in the general public, alhiemers is similar but they can tell it apart ........

Dementia pugilistica is what is found in boxers and is now considered a subtype of CTE .......

Posted (edited)

I'd love to see what would happen in terms of concussions and long-term brain condition if the NFL (and of course all lower levels) switched to a different kind of helmet altogether, one that includes softer padding on the OUTSIDE of the hard shell as well.  The hard-shell helmet is better suited for preventing fractures and catastrophic injuries from INFREQUENT but high force impacts.  It's not ideal for linemen who are banging their heads together 80 or 90 times a game (plus warm-ups and practices).  The hard outer shell, hitting another hard surface like another helment, results in some sudden whiplash that might not crack the skull... but definitely risks rattling the brain inside it. There's no fail-safe way to do this, but there ARE better ways. 

Edited by Ravens2006

On 8/4/2017 at 1:35 PM, alienrace said:

We can't have enough information on CTE, it's good that it's being studied, talked about, etc.  At the very least, the NFL can continue to do what it can to make the game safer(without turning it into flag football). 

The study did in fact have a "disclaimer" from what I saw on NFLN that the players studied had complained of symptoms.  There are obviously many players with no symptoms as well, and presumably, no CTE.  As safety and equipment improves, it will be critical to see if the incidences of CTE decrease, but that could take years, maybe decades to see the results. 

Heck, I'd be interested in seeing how many soccer players have it, considering that they rattle their brains quite often heading balls.  That jolt is probably pretty significant, and frequent. 

Ideally, somehow they find a way to reverse the effects, or treat them somehow.

It ain't rocket science. It makes sense when you think about it. Having experienced many concussions the neurologist  told me rule of thumb, if you've had 2 concussions you have increased your chance of developing dementia. The last 2 concussions were very close together, with the last one around 60 mph at impact on my motorcycle. I was already symptomatic for about 3 years ,with the last year since the wreck, being pretty apparent. Also, my mom, and her mom died of Alzheimer's . I take it a day at a time. Thing is, I've always known it could happen. Not just because of my family, but in certain lifestyles, it's a price you may pay. I don't regret it. Back in the day boxers used to get that way later in life. They called it punch drunk back then. lol

On 7/25/2017 at 8:04 PM, Bowie-Bruce said:

Per today's CNN article. Sorry, I am unable to post the link. 111 brains studied, CTE found in 110 of them. This devastating news should be the lead on every sports program, but I'm sure that won't be the case.

It's becoming very hard to follow the NFL these days.

The average NFL career is 3.3 years so most likely the players have CTE in college and high school.  Just to be safe you should stop watching that too.   If you stop watching there should be no reason for you to comment here anymore.

1 hour ago, RileyMartin said:

The average NFL career is 3.3 years so most likely the players have CTE in college and high school.  Just to be safe you should stop watching that too.   If you stop watching there should be no reason for you to comment here anymore.

While they have found CTE in college and high school players, it has not been found nearly as frequently as in the NFL.

Edited by Slidemaster

On 8/7/2017 at 1:32 PM, Ravens2006 said:

I'd love to see what would happen in terms of concussions and long-term brain condition if the NFL (and of course all lower levels) switched to a different kind of helmet altogether, one that includes softer padding on the OUTSIDE of the hard shell as well.  The hard-shell helmet is better suited for preventing fractures and catastrophic injuries from INFREQUENT but high force impacts.  It's not ideal for linemen who are banging their heads together 80 or 90 times a game (plus warm-ups and practices).  The hard outer shell, hitting another hard surface like another helment, results in some sudden whiplash that might not crack the skull... but definitely risks rattling the brain inside it. There's no fail-safe way to do this, but there ARE better ways. 

There is a chapter or 2 in the League of Denial about the impact of helmets on the game and the NFLs research into "better" helmets ......

Once again, as yoy read it the science reminds you of the tobacco companies ......

People coming out of the woodwork with "medical" solutions ......

The Race Is on for a 'Concussion Pill' as New NFL Season Begins. https://tiny.iavian.net/ith0

Ex raven Eugene Monroe is a big investor in the medical marijuana solution .....

On 9/4/2017 at 6:57 AM, Eastside Terp said:

People coming out of the woodwork with "medical" solutions ......

The Race Is on for a 'Concussion Pill' as New NFL Season Begins. https://tiny.iavian.net/ith0

Ex raven Eugene Monroe is a big investor in the medical marijuana solution .....

I saw that article.  Really exciting stuff.  They are close to an Alzheimer's cure too.

Or they could simply make the field longer and wider to cut down on the number and violence of the the collisions of the 'roided-up/HGH fueled player who are about three times the size of the first pros  to play on that size field..is CTE a problem in the CFL?

On 9/5/2017 at 8:13 PM, Slidemaster said:

I saw that article.  Really exciting stuff.  They are close to an Alzheimer's cure too.

Seriously?

5 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Seriously?

Yes.  They have identified the substance (it's a buildup of some sort in the brain) that causes alzheimers.  They'e done tests that show they can clear it away with ultrasounds at certain frequencies.  It's years away from general availability, but they think they're close.

On 8/7/2017 at 1:32 PM, Ravens2006 said:

That's the point that gets missed in all of this.  There have been better helmet designs around for quite some time.  But many of them are not as attractive and are about 3 times the costs of the current ones.  No matter what rule changes are made, there will still be unfortunate hits that cause injury.  The league needs to make changes to the equipment if they really are serious about cutting down on the medical issues.

I know a lot of fans can't quite fathom this but I can definitely see football at some point, changing its rules to the point where tackling itself will become outlawed. It will become much closer to flag football than what we watch every Sunday.  They can design all the new helmets the want but even the people behind the latest technology have admitted that there's no guarantees they will prevent concussions.  So, at some point, the league's going to have to make a decision- either ban tackling for good and create new rules that will keep the game exciting for the fans or just accept that there will be risks involved and incorporate that disclaimer in every contract.  

5 hours ago, jamesdean said:

I know a lot of fans can't quite fathom this but I can definitely see football at some point, changing its rules to the point where tackling itself will become outlawed. It will become much closer to flag football than what we watch every Sunday.  They can design all the new helmets the want but even the people behind the latest technology have admitted that there's no guarantees they will prevent concussions.  So, at some point, the league's going to have to make a decision- either ban tackling for good and create new rules that will keep the game exciting for the fans or just accept that there will be risks involved and incorporate that disclaimer in every contract.  

I agree, they have to take the boxing route which seems to be: this is dangerous, everyone agrees it's dangerous, do you want to play?' in order to even attempt to continue tackling.  Goodell saying "football has never been safer" is meaningless and probably untrue.  I think we are talking another 10-15 years, and the game will look completely different unless the embrace the danger (in which case, very few high school parents will let their kids play).  Regardless, football is screwed...if I owned a team, I would sell now because the NFL brand is only going to get worse. 

11 hours ago, jamesdean said:

Like that one NFL official said, if only 10% of mothers stop letting their kids play football they're in trouble ...........

It will become more like boxing, just a way for the lower class to rise .....

You used to have all kinds of ethic groups boxing their ways out if the ghetto but not may Jewish boxers anymore ...  

On 9/28/2017 at 11:05 PM, Slidemaster said:

Yes.  They have identified the substance (it's a buildup of some sort in the brain) that causes alzheimers.  They'e done tests that show they can clear it away with ultrasounds at certain frequencies.  It's years away from general availability, but they think they're close.

Be careful if you're talking about amyeloid plaques. They've known those were present for years. They don't actually know if they are the cause of neuronal death or another symptom of the real cause. It is far too soon to start talking about "cures". In addition, a cure applied to a patient who has lost a great deal of their cognitive abilities would be a rather mixed blessing. You stop the cell death and the disease doesn't go any further - but neither do they regain the lost memories. They linger in a seriously impaired state until something else proves fatal. Speaking for myself, I would not want such a cure. Past a certain point, for me, just let it kill me.