Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
city40blast

Public school talk only

161 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jbmad said:

City I agree about the qb

Are we talking about the same QB of last year....

3 hours ago, SaintBull said:

10 is the max allowed, including the Head Coach

Interesting, is that just for paid coaches or does that number include volunteers?

Posted (edited)

MPSSAA gives teams more than 10 sideline passes for coaches and staff for the championships, so I'm calling BS on the limit of 10. 

Edited by Oldtime
Correction

18 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

MPSSAA gives teams more than 10 sideline passes for coaches and staff for the championships, so I'm calling BS on the limit of 10. 

Come on OT, championships sideline passes would include coaches, principal, athletic director, and others.  Several coaches would be in the booth and not on the sideline.  The state championship should not be your coach number gauge.

14 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Come on OT, championships sideline passes would include coaches, principal, athletic director, and others.  Several coaches would be in the booth and not on the sideline.  The state championship should not be your coach number gauge.

DW  you hit the nail on the head. Having been on the sideline in 2008 I can tell you the sideline passes include school administrators, athletic trainers, team managers not just the coaching staff. OT Is incorrect. Now how seriously your county follows that 10 coach mandate is another story.

MPSSAA requires the coaches in the press box to have passes as well. I'm just asking someone to point me to something that specifically says in writing teams are limited to 10 staff members including JV. You'd think if anywhere, the State Championships it would be enforced, if true. MPSSAA gives either 18 or 20 passes, can't remember, and lets the schools determine who gets them. 

Posted (edited)

I had a sideline championship pass once as a guest of a coach in a title game and I stood most of the game next to a guy also with a pass who was the brother of an assistant coach.  Any way, I glanced over the the MPSSAA Handbook and I saw nothing about limits of football coaches, just limit on emergency coaches.

Edited by DayWalker

The public schools with a boat load of coaches to me are Fort Hill and Gwynn Park.  They seem to have just as many coaches running around as players.  Or they dress as coaches...

Baltimore County does indeed have a rule that states that the number of volunteer coaches cannot exceed the number  paid coaches - 5 and 5. Just another dated and pointless rule along with a 50 player roster maximum. Now...is either rule enforced? Another story. 

Posted (edited)

The rule is not an MPSSAA rule it is county by county. Most counties have now enacted that rule the only exception I know of is PG. you can still have as many coaches as you would like as far as I know in PG. So you won't find it in any MPSSAA handbook.

Edited by OldBallCoach

50 minutes ago, OldBallCoach said:

DW  you hit the nail on the head. Having been on the sideline in 2008 I can tell you the sideline passes include school administrators, athletic trainers, team managers not just the coaching staff. OT Is incorrect. Now how seriously your county follows that 10 coach mandate is another story.

I've been on the sidelines a handful of times. Not sure where I'm incorrect. Isn't the MPSSAA the over arching board that regulates the rules across the State?  They do not limit the number of coaches. Now  if a County decides to limit the number arbitrarily, thats up to them. 

Yes county rules always supersede MPSSAA. Now at the state Tourny those rules are decided by a panel of coaches, ADs and the state administrators at spring meetings. The side line pass rule is for one game only. However, if you are in a strict county and the see more then 10 people coaching you are in trouble pass or no pass

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, OldBallCoach said:

Yes county rules always supersede MPSSAA. Now at the state Tourny those rules are decided by a panel of coaches, ADs and the state administrators at spring meetings. The side line pass rule is for one game only. However, if you are in a strict county and the see more then 10 people coaching you are in trouble pass or no pass

I don't think county rules supersede MPSSAA but more like county rules can be more restrictive, not less.  And counties may enact rules not addressed by the MPSAA.  For example, the MPSSAA limit the number of regular season games to 10.  Counties cannot supercede this and have 11 regular season games but can do 9 games.  Or since the MPSSAA set no limit of players, counties may limit the number of players to whatever they wish.  The MPSSAA have eligiblity requirements.  Counties may have more restrictive eligibility requirement but not lesser requirements.

Edited by DayWalker

13 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

I don't think county rules supersede MPSSAA but more like county rules can be more restrictive, not less.  And counties may enact rules not addressed by the the MPSAA.  For example, the MPSSAA limit the number of regular season games to 10.  Counties cannot supercede this and have 11 regular season games but can do 9 games.  Or since the MPSSAA set no limit of players, counties may limit the number of players to whatever they wish.  The MPSSAA have eligiblity requirements.  Counties may have more restrictive eligibility requirement but not lesser requirements.

DW that is dead on I worded my statement wrong. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah after doing some research the magic number seems to be 10.  It seems the extra people we see on the sideline are JV coaches and regular people who are affiliated with the team in some capacity (parents, alum, ex coaches etc).  

Edited by nomad974

Not to beat a dead horse but all JV coaches are included in that 10 count.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, HY3:13 said:

Not to beat a dead horse but all JV coaches are included in that 10 count.

If thats the case, there a lot of teams with more than 10 coaches.  I guess its not an enforced rule. 

Edited by nomad974

Posted (edited)

But I think the specific county or counties should be spelled out that this apply.  I just went to a team website that listed 13 coaches not including the coaches of the freshman team.

Edited by DayWalker

Posted (edited)

Gilman, McDonogh, DeMatha, St. Frances Academy, DeLaSalle, IMG...there I did it! Lol!

Edited by TheGuru

2 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Gilman, McDonogh, DeMatha, St. Frances Academy, DeLaSalle, IMG...there I did it! Lol!

:D  Takes two.....

7 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Welcome back