Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bluto

HBO Responds to Anti-Slavery Show #NoConfederate Campaign

174 posts in this topic

A grassroots campaign against the upcoming slave drama hit No. 2 on Twitter's worldwide trending topics Sunday during 'Game of Thrones.'

"We have great respect for the dialogue and concern being expressed around Confederate. We have faith that [writers] Nichelle, Dan, David and Malcolm will approach the subject with care and sensitivity. The project is currently in its infancy so we hope that people will reserve judgment until there is something to see," the premium cable network said in a statement Sunday.

The campaign, organized by April Reign, creator of the #OscarsSoWhite outcry, urged viewers to tweet #NoConfederate during Sunday's episode of HBO's Game of Thrones in a bid to send a message to the cabler that their subscribers don't want to see a show that explores slavery in any sense. By the end of Game of Thrones' East Coast broadcast, #NoConfederate had reached No. 1 in the U.S. and No. 2 worldwide among Twitter's trending topics.

Confederate chronicles the events leading to the Third American Civil War and takes place in an alternate timeline where the Southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution. The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone — freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall.

“Confederate” isn’t expected to start production for at least a year.   I think social media should reserve judgment until an episode is actually filmed and screened.

April Reign?

If they don't want to see the show, they can always turn to another channel or ... gasp ... turn off the TV.

People could always not watch it I suppose...

The offended better not watch The Man in the High Castle...

26 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

April Reign?

If they don't want to see the show, they can always turn to another channel or ... gasp ... turn off the TV.

Exactly but people who object don't want others to see it either.

In the modern era, simply ignoring what doesn't appeal to you is no longer in fashion. Now one must vociferate loudly and attempt to proscribe others from watching that they dislike or disagree with. 

Social media is about as antisocial as one can get at times. 

I find the alternative or whatever the correct name is, movies fascinating and wish they would make more of them.  I have heard of one but haven't seen it, where the Germans and Japanese win WWII  and the Germans take east of the Mississippi river and the Japanese take the west.

It's called entertainment and folks have to look at as such. 

7 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I find the alternative or whatever the correct name is, movies fascinating and wish they would make more of them.  I have heard of one but haven't seen it, where the Germans and Japanese win WWII  and the Germans take east of the Mississippi river and the Japanese take the west.

It's called entertainment and folks have to look at as such. 

It was mentioned above- The Man In The High Castle. It was/is an excellent series on Amazon. 

I love alternative history fiction. Harry Turtledove and Taylor Anderson are two of my favorite authors in that genre. Turtledove also wrote a novel about the Civil War in the Southern Victory series, beginning with How Few Remain. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Bluto said:

A grassroots campaign against the upcoming slave drama hit No. 2 on Twitter's worldwide trending topics Sunday during 'Game of Thrones.'

“Confederate” isn’t expected to start production for at least a year.   I think social media should reserve judgment until an episode is actually filmed and screened.

I agree

HBO tends to make quality TV series plus they're generally Left leaning so I'll reserve judgement until there's a finished product.

One thing I disagree with though is the idea that Slavery would still exist today in North America if the South won the Civil War. I believe it would've lasted a few more decades then declined by the 20th century due to technological and economic changes. 

Edited by soulflower

Btw, IFC already created a Mockumentary about an alternative reality where the Confederacy won the war

Posted (edited)

This is sooo stupid.

Why is everyone offended all the time now?

Jesus I hate what we've become.......

Edited by mcorioles

Posted (edited)

In the meantime, this mocumentary, from 2005, related to the topic is worth seeing:

C.S.A. THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA

"What if the South had won the Civil War? 'CSA' ventures a glimpse at such a world. It simulates the experience of watching the grand history of the Confederate nation as it fights to preserve its antebellum way of life. After triumphing at Gettysburg, the South sends Lincoln packing to Canada and gets cozy in the White House. The long-term result is slavery of all non-Aryans, an all-out conquest and apartheid in Latin America, an alliance with Hitler, a Cold War with Canada, and a slave shopping network."

One of the interesting things about it is how much it mirrors our actual history after the war.

Edited by hst2

4 hours ago, soulflower said:

I agree

HBO tends to make quality TV series plus they're generally Left leaning so I'll reserve judgement until there's a finished product.

One thing I disagree with though is the idea that Slavery would still exist today in North America if the South won the Civil War. I believe it would've lasted a few more decades then declined by the 20th century due to technological and economic changes. 

However the repercussions would still exist. Even worse . If the South had won blacks would still be considered luggage and would only be considered for menial jobs. Reconstruction would've never occurred. Voting rights would've never be considered because blacks wouldn't be considered as people...etc.

Posted (edited)

On 7/31/2017 at 9:02 AM, Bluto said:

Some good points here.

"...This request sounds sensible at first pass. Should one not “reserve judgment” of a thing until after it has been seen? But HBO does not actually want the public to reserve judgment so much as it wants the public to make a positive judgment. A major entertainment company does not announce a big new show in hopes of garnering dispassionate nods of acknowledgement. HBO executives themselves judged Confederate before they’d seen it—they had to, as no television script actually exists. HBO hoped to communicate that approval to its audience through the announcement. And had that communication been successful, had Confederate been greeted with rapturous anticipation, it is hard to imagine the network asking its audience to tamp down and wait.

...Storytellers have the right to answer any question they choose. But we do not need to wait to examine all the questions that are not being chosen: What if John Brown had succeeded? What if the Haitian Revolution had spread to the rest of the Americas? What if black soldiers had been enlisted at the onset of the Civil War? What if Native Americans had halted the advance of whites at the Mississippi? And we need not wait to note that more interesting than asking what the world would be like if the white South had won is asking why so many white people are enthralled with a world where the dreams of Harriet Tubman were destroyed by the ambitions of Robert E. Lee.

...The problem of Confederate can’t be redeemed by production values, crisp writing, or even complicated characters. That is not because its conceivers are personally racist, or seek to create a show that endorses slavery. Far from it, I suspect. Indeed, the creators have said that their hope is to use science fiction to “show us how this history is still with us in a way no strictly realistic drama ever could.” And that really is the problem. African Americans do not need science-fiction, or really any fiction, to tell them that that “history is still with us.” It’s right outside our door. It’s in our politics. It’s on our networks. And Confederate is not immune. The show’s very operating premise, the fact that it roots itself in a long white tradition of imagining away emancipation, leaves one wondering how “lost” the Lost Cause really was."

Link

Edited by hst2

Or the more realistic probability that HBO saw how much of a hit their competitor, Amazon, had with 'The Man in the High Castle' and went looking for something to rival it with.  One does not need to go looking for imaginary racists hiding under the bed.   

On 7/31/2017 at 10:27 AM, soulflower said:

Btw, IFC already created a Mockumentary about an alternative reality where the Confederacy won the war

I saw that. I thought it was hilarious. I'm guessing so would this show knowing the real history.. I plan to watch it. 

Posted (edited)

A little too close to reality lately.

A few years ago it might have been well-received.

Edited by Calamari

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Some good points here.

"...This request sounds sensible at first pass. Should one not “reserve judgment” of a thing until after it has been seen? But HBO does not actually want the public to reserve judgment so much as it wants the public to make a positive judgment. A major entertainment company does not announce a big new show in hopes of garnering dispassionate nods of acknowledgement. HBO executives themselves judged Confederate before they’d seen it—they had to, as no television script actually exists. HBO hoped to communicate that approval to its audience through the announcement. And had that communication been successful, had Confederate been greeted with rapturous anticipation, it is hard to imagine the network asking its audience to tamp down and wait.

...Storytellers have the right to answer any question they choose. But we do not need to wait to examine all the questions that are not being chosen: What if John Brown had succeeded? What if the Haitian Revolution had spread to the rest of the Americas? What if black soldiers had been enlisted at the onset of the Civil War? What if Native Americans had halted the advance of whites at the Mississippi? And we need not wait to note that more interesting than asking what the world would be like if the white South had won is asking why so many white people are enthralled with a world where the dreams of Harriet Tubman were destroyed by the ambitions of Robert E. Lee.

...The problem of Confederate can’t be redeemed by production values, crisp writing, or even complicated characters. That is not because its conceivers are personally racist, or seek to create a show that endorses slavery. Far from it, I suspect. Indeed, the creators have said that their hope is to use science fiction to “show us how this history is still with us in a way no strictly realistic drama ever could.” And that really is the problem. African Americans do not need science-fiction, or really any fiction, to tell them that that “history is still with us.” It’s right outside our door. It’s in our politics. It’s on our networks. And Confederate is not immune. The show’s very operating premise, the fact that it roots itself in a long white tradition of imagining away emancipation, leaves one wondering how “lost” the Lost Cause really was."

Link

Great points made by Coates.

However, I still think HBO should air the show if they think it is a good TV series...

Posted (edited)

Let the Confederates have their wet dream.  The only problem I see is it probably emboldening the Confederates.  They can become disillusioned and think they can create that environment. I mean they voted for trump for Blip sakes.

Edited by EgyptKang

Lest Darkness Fall, by L. Sprague de Camp, Custer's Last Jump, by Howard Waldrop, The Ultimate Solution by Eric Norden, The Sound of His Horn  by John William Wall and For Want of a Nail, by Robert Sobel are all excellent alternate history yarns, entertaining, and yes, perhaps cautionary and didactic, but what the hell, as someone else said, it's entertainment (That won't be found in any RAW STORY post) . The  usual leftists;  detractors of said upcoming HBO series wouldn't be interested in those stories either. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Lest Darkness Fall, by L. Sprague de Camp, Custer's Last Jump, by Howard Waldrop, The Ultimate Solution by Eric Norden, The Sound of His Horn  by John William Wall and For Want of a Nail, by Robert Sobel are all excellent alternate history yarns, entertaining, and yes, perhaps cautionary and didactic, but what the hell, as someone else said, it's entertainment (That won't be found in any RAW STORY post) . The  usual leftists;  detractors of said upcoming HBO series wouldn't be interested in those stories either. 

The issue around HBO is that they cautioned against making a judgement about a series when, they, in effect, already had.

Is calling attention to hypocrisy or double standard a "usual leftist" thing?

If so, I plead guilty. :)

Edited by hst2

3 minutes ago, hst2 said:

The issue around HBO is that they cautioned against making a judgement about a series when, they, in effect, already had.

The only issues at hand are your incessant, pathetic white guilt pleadings to rewrite history.. 

9 minutes ago, hst2 said:

It would be hypocrisy, if they were identical. But they are not, as HBO exevutives have much more information about Confederate than does John Q. Public. They have to judge whether a show should or should not be made- they have to pay the costs of the production. All they are requesting is that the public does not prejudge the show before they've seen it. 

I believe that is a fair request. I believe most fair-minded individuals believe that as well. 

Based on the premise it seems like a bad idea. But I'm not in a position to stop HBO from throwing money at a bad idea nor do I care enough to try