Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bluto

HBO Responds to Anti-Slavery Show #NoConfederate Campaign

174 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, soulflower said:

Great points made by Coates.

However, I still think HBO should air the show if they think it is a good TV series...

He would have had a point in 1890 but as usual with this sort of stuff, the people making the complaint don't seem to know what century it is.  The confederacy is not right outside our door.

6 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

He would have had a point in 1890 but as usual with this sort of stuff, the people making the complaint don't seem to know what century it is.  The confederacy is not right outside our door.

Agreed on all points

12 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

As he points out:

"African Americans do not need science-fiction, or really any fiction, to tell them that that “history is still with us.” It’s right outside our door. It’s in our politics. It’s on our networks. And Confederate is not immune. The show’s very operating premise, the fact that it roots itself in a long white tradition of imagining away emancipation, leaves one wondering how “lost” the Lost Cause really was.""

11 minutes ago, hst2 said:

As he points out:

"African Americans do not need science-fiction, or really any fiction, to tell them that that “history is still with us.” It’s right outside our door. It’s in our politics. It’s on our networks. And Confederate is not immune. The show’s very operating premise, the fact that it roots itself in a long white tradition of imagining away emancipation, leaves one wondering how “lost” the Lost Cause really was.""

Which would have made sense in 1890.   What year is it?   How far is history removed from the actual confederacy?  

36 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Some States still have Confederate symbols in their State flags

Coates is correct that the US hasn't moved on psychologically from the Civil War. Nazi Germany is different because they were almost universally condemned after the war. 

27 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Coates is correct that the US hasn't moved on psychologically from the Civil War. Nazi Germany is different because they were almost universally condemned after the war. 

Outside of a few white nationalists and the social justice crowd I'll wager just about all of the US has moved on from the Civil War.  

It.  

Is.  

History.  

25 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Outside of a few white nationalists and the social justice crowd I'll wager just about all of the US has moved on from the Civil War.  

It.  

Is.  

History.  

Tell it to the folks upset over monuments to Confederate soldiers being removed 

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Tell it to the folks having said monuments removed.  It works both ways. 

17 minutes ago, soulflower said:

He qualified his statement. Read it again.

14 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Tell it to the folks having said monuments removed.  It works both ways. 

Either way, it proves Coates' point. The US never really got over the Civil War...

9 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Either way, it proves Coates' point. The US never really got over the Civil War...

Simply your and his opinion. Because a small segment of the population wants to eliminate confederate monuments and a small segment wants to keep them is in no way proof that the country hasn't gotten over the civil war. How many people in your circle of friends and family haven't gotten over it? I can pretty much say all of mine are over it and never even talk about it. 

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Seriously? Are you freaking kidding? :rolleyes:

You should take a look at the state citizenships of the soldiers and sailors who serves and/or died in the wars subsequent to your precious Civil War.

Take a look at the men awarded combat medals during those wars.

Take a look at the leading american Generals and Admirals that led the Allies to victory during WWII.

You'll find that many came from the South and the Midwest, including most of the Tuskegee Airmen; how dare you say that those Heroes and Veterans didn't get over the war.

I'd be surprised to learn that you've served anything more than an ice cream sundae at Friendly's, given your comment.

Edited by blowboatbethesda

14 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Simply your and his opinion. Because a small segment of the population wants to eliminate confederate monuments and a small segment wants to keep them is in no way proof that the country hasn't gotten over the civil war. How many people in your circle of friends and family haven't gotten over it? I can pretty much say all of mine are over it and never even talk about it. 

I guess you don't know any Southern Folk

BTW, there's a recent thread about an SC governor candidate who claims to be proud of the Confederacy 

17 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Seriously? Are you freaking kidding? :rolleyes:

You should take a look at the state citizenships of the soldiers and sailors who serves and/or died in the wars subsequent to your precious Civil War.

Take a look at the men awarded combat medals during those wars.

Take a look at the leading american Generals and Admirals that led the Allies to victory during WWII.

You'll find that many came from the South and the Midwest, including most of the Tuskegee Airmen; how dare you say that those Heroes and Veterans didn't get over the war.

I'd be surprised to learn that you've served anything more than an ice cream sundae at Friendly's, given your comment.

What does any of that have to do with my post?

8 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I guess you don't know any Southern Folk

My family was held in bondage at Beaver Creek Plantation In Martinsville, Va.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, soulflower said:

A profound sentiment expressed at the end of the film, The 13th:

"People say all the time, "I don't understand how people could've tolerated slavery. How could they have made peace with that? How could people have gone to a lynching and participated in that? How did people make sense of the segregation, this white and colored-only drinking... That's so crazy. If I was living at that time, I would have never tolerated anything like that." And the truth is, we are living at this time (of mass incarceration), and we are tolerating it." 

Link 

Edited by hst2

38 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Today,  slightly less than half of the population cannot accept that slavery was the cause of the Civil War. Indeed, a fair number of posters around here will qualify that for page after page after page...

8 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Today,  slightly less than half of the population cannot accept that slavery was the cause of the Civil War. Indeed, a fair number of posters around here will qualify that for page after page after page...

The CW is still a touchy subject for many so I'm not surprised that this show has been met with controversy. 

For a show like this to be successful, the producers are really going to have to not give a crap about what critics will say. 

7 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Today, hst2 remains disturbed that the majority of the population has put the Civil War behind them, none presently having lived through the political or actual battle process related to the war. In fact, the parents and grandparents of Mr. 2's imagined adversaries had nothing to do with that war either. Indeed, a fair number of posters here will qualify that white guilt is a curable illness, page after page after page...:P

6 minutes ago, soulflower said:

The CW is still a touchy subject for many so I'm not surprised that this show has been met with controversy. 

For a show like this to be successful, the producers are really going to have to not give a crap about what critics will say. 

The fact that a few very vocal deniers of history have vociferously protested the series will guarantee it's success. 

I can't wait to watch it.  :P:D

Just watch "Gettysburg" willya! Plenty of poor White soldiers who Never had any Slaves fought because they saw the issue as States Rights vs Federal Supremacy. You just Can't get around that. In some cases that Battle still continues. You just Have to take at face value the Bravery & Sacrifice that was shown on Both sides. I saw Both peoples fighting with a sense of Honor that seems Uncommon today. Those were different times, people don't seem to think that way anymore. Together ALL of them forged what we have Now. We should thank ALL of them. Great Sacrifices made by people that Few would go through Now. They Made Us! Do we still harbor resentment against the Brits for our Independence? I don't see that. What's the Difference?  

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, Bartman said:

I saw Both peoples fighting with a sense of Honor that seems Uncommon today. Those were different times, people don't seem to think that way anymore.

I think you are confusing TV with reality.

Edited by Calamari

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Bartman said:

Just watch "Gettysburg" willya! Plenty of poor White soldiers who Never had any Slaves fought because they saw the issue as States Rights vs Federal Supremacy. You just Can't get around that. In some cases that Battle still continues. You just Have to take at face value the Bravery & Sacrifice that was shown on Both sides. I saw Both peoples fighting with a sense of Honor that seems Uncommon today. Those were different times, people don't seem to think that way anymore. Together ALL of them forged what we have Now. We should thank ALL of them. Great Sacrifices made by people that Few would go through Now. They Made Us! Do we still harbor resentment against the Brits for our Independence? I don't see that. What's the Difference?  

Brave men fought on all sides in WWII as well

Where's the love for the soldiers who fought for the Axis powers? 

I'm sure there were brave men in Ghenghis Khan's army as well

Edited by soulflower

The south has definitely NOT gotten over "the war of northern aggression" :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, hst2 said:

As he points out:

Exactly!!!! Nothing hasn't changed really.  The idea and ideals still exist. The outright laws have changed but the beliefs and hatred exists and is always perpetuated secretly and sometimes manifests itself outwardly.