Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bluto

HBO Responds to Anti-Slavery Show #NoConfederate Campaign

174 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

The same way everyone else was.  

Please explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

This isn't about me. You implied BLACKS are forced to live in ghettos. I just asked you to prove it.

"What is sometimes denied, but what must be recognized is that this is, indeed, a race problem. The plight of the underclass is not rightly seen as another (albeit severe) instance of economic inequality, American style. These black ghetto dwellers are a people apart, susceptible to stereotyping, stigmatized for their cultural styles, isolated socially, experiencing an internalized sense of helplessness and despair, with limited access to communal networks of mutual assistance. Their purported criminality, sexual profligacy, and intellectual inadequacy are the frequent objects of public derision. In a word, they suffer a pariah status. It should not require enormous powers of perception to see how this degradation relates to the shameful history of black-white race relations in this country."

Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hst2 said:

"What is sometimes denied, but what must be recognized is that this is, indeed, a race problem. The plight of the underclass is not rightly seen as another (albeit severe) instance of economic inequality, American style. These black ghetto dwellers are a people apart, susceptible to stereotyping, stigmatized for their cultural styles, isolated socially, experiencing an internalized sense of helplessness and despair, with limited access to communal networks of mutual assistance. Their purported criminality, sexual profligacy, and intellectual inadequacy are the frequent objects of public derision. In a word, they suffer a pariah status. It should not require enormous powers of perception to see how this degradation relates to the shameful history of black-white race relations in this country."

Link

Where does it say public policy forces blacks to live in ghettos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Please explain.

Really?   Do I have to explain the birds and the bees?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Where does it say public policy forces blacks to live in ghettos?

See the previous article that you skipped over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

See the previous article that you skipped over.

I'm not reading a whole article when you can simply quote the relevant part. Shouldn't be that hard if it's actually there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm not reading a whole article when you can simply quote the relevant part. Shouldn't be that hard if it's actually there. 

It is not there.  It is a complaint about the FHA from... wait for it...

 

 

 

 

... the 1960s.   A blink of an eye for people who mistakenly think the confederacy is right outside our door.  Not so much for people in the 21st century.

40,000 black families violated hst2's housing policy.

Edited by SemiAuto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm not reading a whole article when you can simply quote the relevant part. Shouldn't be that hard if it's actually there. 

There are a lot of tools used to keep Blacks stuck in the Ghetto. The article covers them well. Don't fear being enlightened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SemiAuto said:

It is not there.  It is a complaint about the FHA from... wait for it...

 

 

 

 

... the 1960s.   A blink of an eye for people who mistakenly think the confederacy is right outside our door.  Not so much for people in the 21st century.

40,000 black families violated hst2's housing policy.

Wealth, mostly found in private property, or lack of it, is passed through the family and therefore affects people today, including their abilitu to move. Those deprived of their ability to move in the 1960s, are more inclined to be stuck, particularly in ghettos.

Redlining is still around today:

" This week the Department of Housing and Urban Development settled with the largest bank headquartered in Wisconsin over claims that it discriminated from 2008-2010 against black and Hispanic borrowers in Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota. The bank, Associated Bank, denies wrongdoing in the settlement, but HUD itself is declaring victory in "one of the largest redlining complaints" ever brought by the federal government against a mortgage lender."

Link

Nowadays, zoning is used to deny lower income Americans access to communities outside of ghettos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, hst2 said:

There are a lot of tools used to keep Blacks stuck in the Ghetto. The article covers them well. Don't fear being enlightened. 

You said FORCED. No one is FORCED to live anywhere except soldiers and prisoners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

You said FORCED. No one is FORCED to live anywhere except soldiers and prisoners.

The many obstacles placed in their way tend to make it so extremely difficult to leave, one could say they are forced to live there. If you don't care for the characterization, use your own term.

Edited by hst2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

The many obstacles placed in their way tend to make it so extremely difficult to leave, one could say they are forced to live there. If you don't care for the characterization, use your own term.

Obstacles don't FORCE anything on you. Black people overcome obstacles every day. I realize you won't,  but you should just admit your statement was BS as usual and move on to your next white guilt thread. I've taken all the stupid I can from you today, so carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bmore_ken said:

Obstacles don't FORCE anything on you. Black people overcome obstacles every day. I realize you won't,  but you should just admit your statement was BS as usual and move on to your next white guilt thread. I've taken all the stupid I can from you today, so carry on.

I have provided quite a bit of information that lays out the insurmountable obstacles through public policies and private actions that keep Blacks in ghettos.

You have a platitude. 

I am impressed by your resistance to knowledge on this issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, hst2 said:

Wealth, mostly found in private property, or lack of it, is passed through the family and therefore affects people today, including their abilitu to move. Those deprived of their ability to move in the 1960s, are more inclined to be stuck, particularly in ghettos.

Redlining is still around today:

" This week the Department of Housing and Urban Development settled with the largest bank headquartered in Wisconsin over claims that it discriminated from 2008-2010 against black and Hispanic borrowers in Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota. The bank, Associated Bank, denies wrongdoing in the settlement, but HUD itself is declaring victory in "one of the largest redlining complaints" ever brought by the federal government against a mortgage lender."

Link

Nowadays, zoning is used to deny lower income Americans access to communities outside of ghettos.

40,000 black families in Baltimore say otherwise.   Also, one bank doesn't set policy.   Lower income Americans will always have fewer choices about where to move due to being poor.   They can't buy McMansions in upper class neighborhoods simply because they don't have the money.  This is not a race thing but an economic one.  

 

 

Edited by SemiAuto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Quote

Chicago, the city that had once been home to the most prominent African-Americans, from Joe Louis and Mahalia Jackson to Michael Jordan and Oprah, lost 181,000 black residents just between 2000 and 2010, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

source

No insurmountable obstacle here.

 

Edited by SemiAuto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

source

No insurmountable obstacle here.

 

Indeed, for those already among the middle class, there is a way out. However ghettos are characterized by their poverty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Indeed, for those already among the middle class, there is a way out. However ghettos are characterized by their poverty.

Which proves my point.  It is economics, not race, that is king here.  It is the same for poor white people in the white ghetto (characterized by poverty) of Appalachia.  Poor people will always have less mobility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Which proves my point.  It is economics, not race, that is king here.  It is the same for poor white people in the white ghetto (characterized by poverty) of Appalachia.  Poor people will always have less mobility.

Appalachia is a poor guide for comparing the living and wealth conditions of race because there are few Blacks living there to compare to whites. So then, using Chicago as an example,  why aren't there white ghettos characterized by high poverty and racial segregation?

Unfortunately for Blacks, the obstacles don't stop once they escape the inner city. 

"New research raises questions about equal access and diversity in neighborhoods across the United States. The study found that when white and black families have the same household income, the white family is likely to be in the more affluent neighborhoods.

Researchers at Stanford Graduate School of Education have found that black and Hispanic families effectively need much higher incomes than white families to live in comparably affluent neighborhoods.

As a result, middle-income black and Hispanic households are much more likely to live in poor neighborhoods – which tend to have weaker schools, more crime and bigger social problems – than whites or Asians who earn the same amount of money. This segregation may be constraining the upward mobility of black and Hispanic children compared with their white and Asian peers."

Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appalachia is used so that concentrations of poor whites and poor blacks can be compared.  I could use the Rust Belt if you prefer.  I understand why you are desperately avoiding doing this.  It proves the point that economics, not race, is the driving factor.

"This segregation may be constraining the upward mobility of black and Hispanic children compared with their white and Asian peers."   As bmore_ken has repeatedly pointed out, nothing is forcing them to live here.  You've already conceded the point that middle class blacks are leaving inner city ghettos.   Nobody is making them stay.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Indeed, for those already among the middle class, there is a way out. However ghettos are characterized by their poverty.

So everyone who's currently middle class started middle class?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SemiAuto said:

Appalachia is used so that concentrations of poor whites and poor blacks can be compared.  I could use the Rust Belt if you prefer.  I understand why you are desperately avoiding doing this.  It proves the point that economics, not race, is the driving factor.

"This segregation may be constraining the upward mobility of black and Hispanic children compared with their white and Asian peers."   As bmore_ken has repeatedly pointed out, nothing is forcing them to live here.  You've already conceded the point that middle class blacks are leaving inner city ghettos.   Nobody is making them stay.  

 

The problem with using Appalachia has been pointed out, you chose to ignore it. That is understandable.

I have pointed, based on sourced facts, the obstacles to wealth and access to better communities that face middle class Blacks moving out of cities, as well as the policies and private actions that forced them to stay in ghettos and deprive them of opportunities for wealth to begin with.

However, for me, the focus of discussion is those living in areas with high poverty and high racial segregation, not middle class enclaves.

That these injustices are so strenuously ignored or diminshed by you two is baffling. The only explanation can be that its motivated by a foolhearted desire to stick it to your old nemisis, hst2. Although since I simply refer to facts, success for you is apt to be elusive. Evidence for that can be seen in the number of your fruitless posts that go on for page after page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You just contradicted yourself.   You don't want to talk about poor whites so you ignore them and blame others for not ignoring the economics of poverty.   They only one sticking it to hst2 is you.  For page after page your facts don't support your conclusions precisely because you ignore other explanations.  Poor whites, poor blacks, poor latinos all have it rough.   This is isn't racism.   It is poverty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, hst2 said:

The only explanation can be that its motivated by a foolhearted desire to stick it to your old nemisis, hst2. 

Please get over yourself. There are plenty of middle class blacks who were born poor and got over the obstacles to get to  middle class and beyond. No one here said it was easy. It's just as hard for a poor white person to get to middle class. Poverty knows no color. I can leave my office in Woodlawn and drive about 10 minutes to a poor white neighborhood. It's not a racial thing like you try to make everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0