Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

MD flag under fire for confederate ties?

27 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

They are correct.  The flag does contain the symbol and colors used by MD Confederates.  In fact, during the war if anyone in Baltimore (or elsewhere in the state) was seen wearing red and white colors they were suspected of being southern sympathizers and were subject to arrest by the union soldiers occupying the state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smokey 1 said:

They are correct.  The flag does contain the symbol and colors used by MD Confederates.  In fact, during the war if anyone in Baltimore (or elsewhere in the state) was seen wearing red and white colors they were suspected of being southern sympathizers and were subject to arrest by the union soldiers occupying the state.

Yes, and the union soldiers were brutal towards the citizens in Hampden,    

 

There was nothing civil about The war of Northern Aggression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I think that there are way to many twitter users that need a life.

Shhessshhhhhh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

And I think that there are way to many twitter users that need a life.

Shhessshhhhhh.

This is great.  I would love to see those morons try to make us change our flag. 

Edited by Smokey 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

This is great.  I would love to see those morons try to make us change our flag. 

Ahhhhhh.....you do read the paper right? You don't think they may try. Or at the very least raise ONCE AGAIN some sort of racial issue.

Some people just can't leave sleeping dogs lie I guess. Or they don't have real jobs and need something to fill their time. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironic since MD flag themed clothing and sundries are some of the hottest merchdise out there ..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Ironic since MD flag themed clothing and sundries are some of the hottest merchdise out there ..... 

UMD jerseys are horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

UMD jerseys are horrible.

Excuse my ignorance.... UMD. Are you referring to College Park's FB team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Yes

Which one, don't they have about a dozen different uniforms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

UMD jerseys are horrible.

That's cause you are old and not the targeted audience .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screw Ben Janceiwicz and his Twitter machine.

Maryland has the best-looking flag in the Union, it has a great history and it has flown honorably over brave men and women for many years.

The history revisionists (maybe they learned from the Soviets) are the same idiots who are striving to do in the state anthem and have gotten the simiple-minded City administrations to get rid of (or try to) Confederate monuments and Justice Taney's statue.

For the record, if any of my ancestors did fight in the Civil War they would have worm blue.

I just despise those who want to revise history to meet current politically correct diktats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would changing the flag be cheaper than moving the statues ..???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they change the MD flag Ill buy 10 before they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Rocketwolf said:

If they change the MD flag Ill buy 10 before they do.

And hopefully ill still be able to get some of this stuff ......

https://www.routeoneapparel.com

And the MD flag tags look great on my new inferno Toyota ......

 

Edited by Eastside Terp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bartman said:

 

Dang Bart, your posts are getting more thoughtful .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2017 at 3:47 PM, Eastside Terp said:

That's cause you are old and not the targeted audience .....

I'm not that old.  Or maybe I am.  My worst fashion mistakes were probably Jncos as a teenager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2017 at 2:01 PM, retired said:

Screw Ben Janceiwicz and his Twitter machine.

Maryland has the best-looking flag in the Union, it has a great history and it has flown honorably over brave men and women for many years.

The history revisionists (maybe they learned from the Soviets) are the same idiots who are striving to do in the state anthem and have gotten the simiple-minded City administrations to get rid of (or try to) Confederate monuments and Justice Taney's statue.

For the record, if any of my ancestors did fight in the Civil War they would have worm blue.

I just despise those who want to revise history to meet current politically correct diktats.

The state song was put into place by "history revisionists" in 1939. And much like most of the Confederate monuments it was heavily put into place with white supremacy motivations, including using symbols to remind people who was "in charge". I understand why people would want to change the state song or move monuments off of centralized public places when they were likely put there by those motivated by white supremacy.

The Maryland flag is different; If white supremacists had widely adopted the Calvert pattern then I could understand an issue with it, but that wasn't the case.

The Twitter user who this story is about (kind of bizarre how this is a news story off one person's opinion) sounds like they have no idea what they're talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, bmorepunk said:

The state song was put into place by "history revisionists" in 1939. And much like most of the Confederate monuments it was heavily put into place with white supremacy motivations, including using symbols to remind people who was "in charge". I understand why people would want to change the state song or move monuments off of centralized public places when they were likely put there by those motivated by white supremacy.

The Maryland flag is different; If white supremacists had widely adopted the Calvert pattern then I could understand an issue with it, but that wasn't the case.

The Twitter user who this story is about (kind of bizarre how this is a news story off one person's opinion) sounds like they have no idea what they're talking about. 

What exactly in history did the state song "revise"?  Do you have any examples of what was "revised"?

Can you cite anything in the state song that supports "white supremacy or slavery"?  

How about those statues? Do you really think all the people who honor or have honored the men who fought for south are likely "white supremacists"?

Actually the MD flag was designed as sort of a sign of peace and "unity" to the MD soldiers and citizens which incorporated symbols from both sides into one design. Regulations also require that the pole on which a MD flag is attached have a Cross Botony on the top.  That was a tip of a hat to our southern boys.  :D

Edited by Smokey 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Get em Smoke Dawg woo woof woof 😁

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hey, that's the way it was back then. You gonna cry about it Now? MD was pretty much evenly split except that we had the Feds right there next door to us exerting Their influence on us just the way it is Now! Get Over it! Have long thought that One of the Problems with MD Politics is that we're too close to DC! VA, WVA & PA are a little more apart Ideology wise. VA has a River separating them from DC but we're right Next to DC so the Feds have way more Influence on us than other States. Tell me Otherwise!

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bartman said:

Tell me Otherwise!

This would require someone with the ability to parse something coherent out of your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0