hst2

Vatican: Ultra-conservative American Catholics "not too far apart" from jihadists

66 posts in this topic

"VATICAN CITY — Two close associates of Pope Francis have accused American Catholic ultraconservatives of making an alliance of “hate” with evangelical Christians to back President Trump, further alienating a group already out of the Vatican’s good graces.

The authors, writing in a Vatican-vetted journal, singled out Stephen K.Bannon, Mr. Trump’s chief strategist, as a “supporter of an apocalyptic geopolitics” that has stymied action against climate change and exploited fears of migrants and Muslims with calls for “walls and purifying deportations.”

The article warns that conservative American Catholics have strayed dangerously into the deepening political polarization in the United States. The writers even declare that the worldview of American evangelical and hard-line Catholics, which is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, is “not too far apart’’ from jihadists."

link

There are ultra conservative American Catholics ???  Who knew?  :o

49 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

The Catholic Church is an ultra conservative religious organization. 

5 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

The Catholic Church is an ultra conservative religious organization. 

THat's debatable, but that there are untraconservative American Catholics is almost laughable.

There are ultra-conservative religious folks in this country alright... but they damn sure ain't Catholic

12 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

There are ultra-conservative religious folks in this country alright... but they damn sure ain't Catholic

Agreed.  I think I could probably have all of "ultra-conservative" American Catholics over for coffee and not have to make a second pot.

28 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

You know nothing, Jon Snow.  :D  There is indeed a significant "ultra-conservative" American Catholic faction, represented by several organizations, of varying degrees of creepiness.  The faction has been getting more attention of late, but it's been around for a while, born in the wake of the Second Vatican Council reforms.  An old military bunky of mine is of this flavor.  I'm a long-lapsed Catholic myself, so I don't run into too many of even just the "garden-variety" Catholics -- but make no mistake, these wingers are definitely out there. 

Wow, I guess I missed the reports of all those suicide bomber catholics .....

2 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

They must exist somewhere but damned if I ever met one.

4 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Wow, I guess I missed the reports of all those suicide bomber catholics .....

Just because two ideologies agree on end results doesn't mean they agree on how to get there.

21 minutes ago, TripleM said:

You know nothing, Jon Snow.  :D  There is indeed a significant "ultra-conservative" American Catholic faction, represented by several organizations, of varying degrees of creepiness.  The faction has been getting more attention of late, but it's been around for a while, born in the wake of the Second Vatican Council reforms.  An old military bunky of mine is of this flavor.  I'm a long-lapsed Catholic myself, so I don't run into too many of even just the "garden-variety" Catholics -- but make no mistake, these wingers are definitely out there. 

Where are they?  What power do they have?  Are they anything more than a bunch of fringe nuts?  If they are then I sure haven't seen any evidence of it.

24 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Just because two ideologies agree on end results doesn't mean they agree on how to get there.

So anarachist and peaceful demonstrators that want an end to the trump presidency are the same ......

Got it .....

3 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

THat's debatable, but that there are untraconservative American Catholics is almost laughable.

That is not debatable. You can certainly debate whether Catholics are but Catholic doctrine is extremely ultra conservative. Name one Catholic doctrine that is not? And please don't use the new Pope as an example of written Catholic doctrine. 

2 hours ago, banner1124 said:

What is it that so-called "Ultraconservative Catholics" (term I've never heard) and jihadists have in common as their end result?

I agree that Catholic doctrine can be interpreted by some as ultra conservative; everyone has their opinion.  The thread was about ultra-conservative American Catholic voters, a species more rare than red-headed unicorns.

13 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I agree that Catholic doctrine can be interpreted by some as ultra conservative; everyone has their opinion.  The thread was about ultra-conservative American Catholic voters, a species more rare than red-headed unicorns.

If they are ultra conservative Catholics then most likely they are following Catholic doctrine very closely.

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

What is it that so-called "Ultraconservative Catholics" (term I've never heard) and jihadists have in common as their end result?

If you read back you'd see that I don't believe that ultraconservative catholics even really exist, let alone share any ideology.  I think that the hard-line evangelicals are closer to jihadists

2 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

That is not debatable. You can certainly debate whether Catholics are but Catholic doctrine is extremely ultra conservative. Name one Catholic doctrine that is not? And please don't use the new Pope as an example of written Catholic doctrine. 

That's true.  Posters are very selective about Catholic doctrine.  The ones who are arguing otherwise seem to not be Catholic or cafeteria Catholics.  We can all guess how the OP and others who are angry like banner1124 and defending the alleged Vatican position feel about the Vatican's positions on things like same sex marriage, abortion, birth control use, extramarital sex, being the one true faith, transubstantiation, papal infallibility, and other things that make a true Catholic a true Catholic.

I seriously doubt that some of them believe in God, let alone the divinity of Jesus.  That's what makes their sudden and selective defense of a supposed Vatican position so laughable.

20 hours ago, hst2 said:

"VATICAN CITY — Two close associates of Pope Francis have accused American Catholic ultraconservatives of making an alliance of “hate” with evangelical Christians to back President Trump, further alienating a group already out of the Vatican’s good graces.

The authors, writing in a Vatican-vetted journal, singled out Stephen K.Bannon, Mr. Trump’s chief strategist, as a “supporter of an apocalyptic geopolitics” that has stymied action against climate change and exploited fears of migrants and Muslims with calls for “walls and purifying deportations.”

The article warns that conservative American Catholics have strayed dangerously into the deepening political polarization in the United States. The writers even declare that the worldview of American evangelical and hard-line Catholics, which is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, is “not too far apart’’ from jihadists."

link

hst2, let me explain something to you. Please don't compare me to a terrorist as it is rude and downright inflammatory. There is no such thing as a "liberal" or "conservative" Catholic. A Catholic is a person belong to a church founded by God Himself (Jesus Christ, through whom no soul can enter heaven without). To be Catholic means you believe everything the Church teaches, because God can neither deceive nor be deceived.

Hope this helps....

4 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

They must exist somewhere but damned if I ever met one.

I may be considered "ultra conservative" as I believe what the Church teaches. For example, abortion is murder, in every case.

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

That's true.  Posters are very selective about Catholic doctrine.  The ones who are arguing otherwise seem to not be Catholic or cafeteria Catholics.  We can all guess how the OP and others who are angry like banner1124 and defending the alleged Vatican position feel about the Vatican's positions on things like same sex marriage, abortion, birth control use, extramarital sex, being the one true faith, transubstantiation, papal infallibility, and other things that make a true Catholic a true Catholic.

I seriously doubt that some of them believe in God, let alone the divinity of Jesus.  That's what makes their sudden and selective defense of a supposed Vatican position so laughable.

In you haste to disagree with me perhaps you didn't read through the thread fully.  I actually DISAGREED with the Vatican position. 

Maybe instead of trying to bully me into silence by constantly calling me angry, as if you have any insight into my feelings whatsoever, you could concentrate more on reading for comprehension and not being an overall reprehensible poster.

Edited by banner1124

21 minutes ago, com6063 said:

I may be considered "ultra conservative" as I believe what the Church teaches. For example, abortion is murder, in every case.

Some people in this country might think so but I don't think you're who the Vatican has in mind.

1 hour ago, banner1124 said:

If you read back you'd see that I don't believe that ultraconservative catholics even really exist, let alone share any ideology.  I think that the hard-line evangelicals are closer to jihadists

I see.

If the Pope is so concerned about these Catholic JV jihadists then let him step up and ex-communicate them.

Oh wait, that would probably have a negative effect on the contents of the collection plate every Sunday.

Nevermind.