hst2

Vatican: Ultra-conservative American Catholics "not too far apart" from jihadists

66 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

That's true.  Posters are very selective about Catholic doctrine.  The ones who are arguing otherwise seem to not be Catholic or cafeteria Catholics.  We can all guess how the OP and others who are angry like banner1124 and defending the alleged Vatican position feel about the Vatican's positions on things like same sex marriage, abortion, birth control use, extramarital sex, being the one true faith, transubstantiation, papal infallibility, and other things that make a true Catholic a true Catholic.

I seriously doubt that some of them believe in God, let alone the divinity of Jesus.  That's what makes their sudden and selective defense of a supposed Vatican position so laughable.

Excellent post Ode2Joy.

This is true though, the real toxic component of any religion is it's conservative lean, not the mythology itself (which is malleable).

1 hour ago, Calamari said:

This is true though, the real toxic component of any religion is it's conservative lean, not the mythology itself (which is malleable).

How so? Any proof? Truth is truth.

On 8/4/2017 at 3:33 PM, banner1124 said:

If I call someone a liar it's because they are lying, plain and simple.  And you still haven't admitted to the very plain fact that I was NOT in support of the conservative Catholics are like jihadists claim.  That one fact alone rendered your mention of me completely wrong, but rather than admit that you continue to dig the hole deeper.

Self-evident.

On 8/5/2017 at 11:36 AM, Calamari said:

Truer words have not been uttered in this thread.

49 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

Truer words have not been uttered in this thread.

How so? Still waiting on some proof from Calamari for the claim; maybe you can do better?

See the link at the start of this thread, which you obviously did not read.

On 8/4/2017 at 7:37 AM, flyboy56 said:

The Catholic Church is an ultra conservative religious organization. 

Not as a whole.

2 hours ago, Calamari said:

See the link at the start of this thread, which you obviously did not read.

I'm a "conservative" (which means I follow Church teachings, as already stated to hst2) and I do not support Trump on many issues. Where might I fall into your scenario? Since you are not a Catholic, to my knowledge, why do you care unless it's to poke some kind of jab to the faithful? Thanks in advance for a coherent and thought out response.

So you just want to talk about yourself? <_< 

Gee, I wonder if those Catholics believing in a too literal interpretation of Christ's miracles, His resurrection and ascension into heaven are straying dangerously close to "jihadism", too.  

I also guess their was "an alliance of hate" among all 62 million Trump voters.  When you can't win, just call those you disagree with racists or haters.

Maybe Francis should stop talking.

24 minutes ago, Calamari said:

So you just want to talk about yourself? <_< 

Who are you writing to? Please use the quote function in the future when formulating a coherent and logical response.

7 minutes ago, veritas said:

Gee, I wonder if those Catholics believing in a too literal interpretation of Christ's miracles, His resurrection and ascension into heaven are straying dangerously close to "jihadism", too.  

I also guess their was "an alliance of hate" among all 62 million Trump voters.  When you can't win, just call those you disagree with racists or haters.

It may be a problem of translation, veritas.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, com6063 said:

It may be a problem of translation, veritas.

I don't think so.  Francis seems to be from the liberal wing of the Catholic church just as John Paul II was of the more conservative wing.  

Edited by veritas

I just got back from a week in Arizona where I did not have easy access to a computer to engage this forum. What a wonderful vacation from nonsense, as this thread has just reminded me. :D 

And yes, Cal, I am talking about myself, so you don't need to ask. :lol:

On 8/4/2017 at 9:07 AM, Jimmy Jazz said:

They must exist somewhere but damned if I ever met one.

Really?  I can think of some on this board.  And I know more than a few in regular life.

1 hour ago, veritas said:

Elections have consequences 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, veritas said:

I don't think so.  Francis seems to be from the liberal wing of the Catholic church just as John Paul II was of the more conservative wing.  

That could be part of it but I still think it's translation issue. At least I hope.

Edited by com6063

13 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Really?  I can think of some on this board.  And I know more than a few in regular life.

Do you? I mean, I know Catholics who vote hold generally conservative views and reliably vote Republican but I don't know any who have apocalyptic geopolitical visions, interpret the Bible literally, or want to supplant secularism with theocracy. Those three things were specifically mentioned in the article.

Posted (edited)

When did Ultra-conservative American Catholics saw off people's heads on a wholesale basis like jihadists?

Edited by volperdinger

15 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

Not as a whole.

Not Catholics, the Catholic doctrine is ultra conservative. 

On 8/4/2017 at 9:11 AM, banner1124 said:

Just because two ideologies agree on end results doesn't mean they agree on how to get there.

On 8/4/2017 at 0:41 PM, banner1124 said:

If you read back you'd see that I don't believe that ultraconservative catholics even really exist, let alone share any ideology.  I think that the hard-line evangelicals are closer to jihadists

And what do they have in common? .....

I guess it's easier to lash out and call names then answer the question .....

13 hours ago, veritas said:

JP2 was a liberal, Benedict was conservative!

1 hour ago, jtowne-swim said:

JP2 was a liberal, Benedict was conservative!

Really doesn't matter where the Popes stand. Catholic doctrine is ultra conservative and every pope should be be following that. 

4 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

And what do they have in common? .....

I guess it's easier to lash out and call names then answer the question .....

It's also easier to lie about what I post and then get all indignant when called out on it.

Evangelicals and religious radicals of most types have things in common.  They all believe we should be living under some form of religious law.  They all seem to subjugate women.  They all seem to have a problem with gays.  I could go on and on.  If you were being honest you'd admit that you already knew that and just wanted to argue with me for the sake of arguing.