Baltimatt

Girl killed in Timonium during storm

18 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/weather/weather-blog/bs-md-thursday-storms-20170803-story.html

A 14-year-old girl was killed Thursday evening after a tree fell on top of the car she was in as severe storms swept through the Baltimore area.

Baltimore County police said the incident happened around 5:30 p.m. on Pot Spring Road at Deer Fox Lane in Timonium. A tree had fallen on top of a Hyundai Sonata that was traveling southbound on Pot Spring Road.

A 16-year-old girl, a 13-year-old girl and the driver of the car, who is the mother of the deceased girl, were all taken to hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries. The 14-year-old girl who was killed was seated in the back of the car.

Saw this on the morning news. Tragic. 

WBAL reported that the driver had pulled over and stopped because of the storm.  That will probably haunt her for the rest of her life:  if only she'd stopped in a slightly different place.

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

WBAL reported that the driver had pulled over and stopped because of the storm.  That will probably haunt her for the rest of her life:  if only she'd stopped in a slightly different place.

I am sure you are right.  Logically she was not to blame at all but emotionally it will be difficult. 

Yes this is a sad and tragic story.

Guess the driver didn't think about trees in a storm with high winds.

4 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

You're so right. I can't even imagine the anguish. 

Ahjee Lawrence

Ahjee Lawrence was sitting in the backseat of a Hyundai Sonata on the way Thursday to a Towson mall to buy clothes for her upcoming Disney cruise.  The 14-year-old Cockeysville resident was supposed to go next week with her father, Johnny Lawrence. But about 5:30 p.m., while traveling south on Pot Spring Road in Timonium, a tree fell on top of the car during a storm that created wind gusts of up to 70 mph.

Ahjee was pronounced dead at the scene.  Two other girls, ages 6 and 13, and Ahjee’s mother, the car’s driver, were taken to the hospital with injuries that were not deemed life-threatening.

RIP, Ahjee. 

I cannot imagine the mom's pain right about now. :(

22 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Maybe it was dark and raining hard enough she didn't notice the trees. 

Your level of empathy is striking. 

46 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

Maybe it was dark and raining hard enough she didn't notice the trees. 

Your level of empathy is striking. 

It's such a tragic time for this family. I can see no reason anyone to second guess the mother's decision. She will beat herself up for the rest of her life.  I would feel the same if it was Steve51 whose decision resulted in the death of a loved one. He's just playing the "I know what she should have done" angle. Ignore him.

I'm not familiar with the area, but maybe there are nothing but big trees in that stretch.

One night a few years ago I was leaving a home in Ellicott City when a huge deluge of rain started falling (the weather had been much like what we have experienced over the last week or so). The very narrow road I was on did not provide a place for me to pull over but I did have to drive very slowly. Suddenly I heard a very loud crashing sound followed by a tree landing on the hood and roof of my car. The tree had pulled out from its roots. Fortunately, no one was injured but what seemed to be everyone in the neighborhood ran out to help us.  I was very fortunate because it could have easily gone the other way.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:33 AM, stevez51 said:

I have driven down that stretch of Pot Spring Road hundreds of times, and have never paid attention to the trees lining the road, from the perspective that one might fall. It is not like driving down a country lane lined with forests - it is a suburban neighborhood. It is hard to imagine such a freak occurannce in a location like that. Tragic indeed. :(

On 8/4/2017 at 11:33 AM, stevez51 said:

As fast as that happened, how could she? It's nothing but trees around there.

5 hours ago, caliber45 said:

As fast as that happened, how could she? It's nothing but trees around there.

I am not familiar with the area but people seem to have lost common sense about these types of things. Some don't realize don't get under a tree in a lightning storm.

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

I am not familiar with the area but people seem to have lost common sense about these types of things. Some don't realize don't get under a tree in a lightning storm.

Was the tree struck by lightning? I thought it just fell...uprooted by soggy ground.