Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

The sad-sack Dan Duquette offense is one-dimensional.

79 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ncbirdfan said:

Hardy was a asset to the Orioles for many years. I don't think at the time it was a bad extension. It's too bad injuries and age have overcome him. He was one of the best defensive shortstops in the game. But his defense has taken a hit late last season and this year it has gotten worse. He can still play decently at short, but not well enough to justify him being a regular starter anymore, especially since he also has been struggling at the plate.

Yes well said. He really did begin to deteriorate rapidly, definitely a shame.  Will be nice to have that money coming off the books after this year though 

1 hour ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Yes well said. He really did begin to deteriorate rapidly, definitely a shame.  Will be nice to have that money coming off the books after this year though 

So PA can not invest it in pitching.

;)

28 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

So PA can not invest it in pitching.

;)

Haha exactly.   The Hardy and Jimenez money should come close to covering Manny (after next season though) 

5 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Haha exactly.   The Hardy and Jimenez money should come close to covering Manny (after next season though) 

Finding Beckham should help on the Manny front.  He is cheap for a few more years.  Add the 14mil/yr cash to what Manny is already making and you are at 25 mil or so.  If Hellickson keeps it up, I'm hoping we can use UJ cash to resign Helly at 3yr/37.5mil.  He looks like the kind of pitcher that shouldn't fall of in his early 30s. 

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Finding Beckham should help on the Manny front.  He is cheap for a few more years.  Add the 14mil/yr cash to what Manny is already making and you are at 25 mil or so.  If Hellickson keeps it up, I'm hoping we can use UJ cash to resign Helly at 3yr/37.5mil.  He looks like the kind of pitcher that shouldn't fall of in his early 30s. 

And then if Tillman straightens out next year that'd be another boost.

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Ok who are you and what have you done with CROUSEMAN? B)

6 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

And then if Tillman straightens out next year that'd be another boost.

If he knew what was good for himself and the team, he would take a DL/Rehab assignment at Norfolk till 1 Sept to get his mechanics worked out against live batters.  he has no chance right now of getting Major League hitters out.  Until he shows something I'd pass on Tilly for next year unless its a real cheap deal.

7 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Ok who are you and what have you done with CROUSEMAN? B)

Yeah I know.  Hey I was first guy on bandwagon after the trade deadline to say Buck would make a run at the WC.  Just figured Hellickson/Beckham would give us a boost and there were signs the others guys we already had were coming around.  Buck rolls in Aug/Sept.  I'm still mad at him though for starting Tillman against the Tigers. Complete give away game. Remember that game if we come up one short in the WC.

27 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

If he knew what was good for himself and the team, he would take a DL/Rehab assignment at Norfolk till 1 Sept to get his mechanics worked out against live batters.  he has no chance right now of getting Major League hitters out.  Until he shows something I'd pass on Tilly for next year unless its a real cheap deal.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Agreed.

Like you've said , its his mechanics mostly.  But the inability to throw the big overhand curve - an out pitch for him - is concerning.  The shoulder seems to have taken that pitch for now out of play.  Just don't like his arm slot at all.  He looks out of sync on mound with his weight shift.

Posted (edited)

I just hope this organization can finally see that it's not about being able to score 10 runs in a game because you hit 3 or 4 homers but consistently scoring 4 or 5 runs because of speed and on base percentage. Playing Beckham and Rickard has energized this offense. Trumbo and Hardy were additions by subtraction especially when you bat Davis and Trumbo in the middle of the lineup back to back. One free swinging albatross in the lineup is more than enough. Two are too much to overcome. 

Buck's teams always play better later in the season. I just hope he's not too stubborn and loyal to keep things as they are when the injured starters come back. Who would have thought that this organization got it right at the trade deadline. At least for now it looks as if they did.

Edited by 85Knight

17 minutes ago, 85Knight said:

I just hope this organization can finally see that it's not about being able to score 10 runs in a game because you hit 3 or 4 homers but consistently scoring 4 or 5 runs because of speed and on base percentage. Playing Beckham and Rickard has energized this offense. Trumbo and Hardy were additions by subtraction especially when you bat Davis and Trumbo in the middle of the lineup back to back. One free swinging albatross in the lineup is more than enough. Two are too much to overcome. 

Buck's teams always play better later in the season. I just hope he's not too stubborn and loyal to keep things as they are when the injured starters come back. Who would have thought that this organization got it right at the trade deadline. At least for now it looks as if they did.

That right there is the big question.

40 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Like you've said , its his mechanics mostly.  But the inability to throw the big overhand curve - an out pitch for him - is concerning.  The shoulder seems to have taken that pitch for now out of play.  Just don't like his arm slot at all.  He looks out of sync on mound with his weight shift.

I just don't know if the mechanics problems can be fixed this year.

30 minutes ago, 85Knight said:

Great post.  Yeah Bucks loyalty card is a plus and a curse.  Mostly a curse when it comes to playing aging vets who are toast.  Sticking Trumbs and Hardy back in the line up will suck the energy right out of this team just like starting Tillman did.  And you just know Trumbs and Hardy are going to play.  You just know it.  Trumbs is still productive, but like you said a terrible fit with Davis. 

10 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Great post.  Yeah Bucks loyalty card is a plus and a curse.  Mostly a curse when it comes to playing aging vets who are toast.  Sticking Trumbs and Hardy back in the line up will suck the energy right out of this team just like starting Tillman did.  And you just know Trumbs and Hardy are going to play.  You just know it.  Trumbs is still productive, but like you said a terrible fit with Davis. 

Without a doubt the most exciting thing now is seeing Beckham and Rickard with their speed in the lineup. Heck...it even seemed to inspire Schoop to steal his first base! (Granted, that was, without a doubt, one of the weirdest/ugliest base steals ever! He just seemed to "fall" into the stolen base. The third baseman barely made a move to the bag. And Schoop looked totally lost out there. But hey. He did manage to get to third. Maybe base stealing is contagious.)

6 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

True, Manny is making $11.5 million this season, UJ $13.5 million and Hardy $14 million.  That Hardy $ should go directly to Manny, add a few more mil and that should come close to covering what it should take to sign him.   Then there's still a surplus from Jimenez 

2 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

True, Manny is making $11.5 million this season, UJ $13.5 million and Hardy $14 million.  That Hardy $ should go directly to Manny, add a few more mil and that should come close to covering what it should take to sign him.   Then there's still a surplus from Jimenez 

Yep and Tilly, Miley and Smith should pump another 28 mil into the FA pitching pool.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, 85Knight said:

Agree.  How long have we been saying that!??  This homerun or nothing offense has been killing this team over the last five seasons even with the collectively nice regular season record they've have.  

See all recent playoff appearances (vs NYY, KC, the Wild Card play-in game last year) for proof of how little that kind of offense does for you in the post season, if it even gets you there.  

Edited by BayAreaBmore

13 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Agree.  How long have we been saying that!??  This homerun or nothing offense has been killing this team over the last five seasons even with the collectively nice regular season record they've have.  

See all recent playoff appearances (vs NYY, KC, the Wild Card play-in game last year) for proof of how little that kind of offense does for you in the post season, if you get there.  

5 plus years to be exact. I've always argued that the subpar starting pitching has been balanced out by a great bullpen and a great defense. Even with the exact same starting pitching  (outside of that 23 game stretch this year) we would have a few more division titles and maybe a World Series appearance if the offense was more consistent.

57 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Keep in mind, those players that leave, will need to be replaced. Given the addition of Beckham, it's logical to go forward with the idea that Hardy's $$$ can go right to Manny. But UJ will need to be replaced. And it's probably going to cost more than he's currently making, to get a #3 replacement. 

9 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Keep in mind, those players that leave, will need to be replaced. Given the addition of Beckham, it's logical to go forward with the idea that Hardy's $$$ can go right to Manny. But UJ will need to be replaced. And it's probably going to cost more than he's currently making, to get a #3 replacement. 

True, one forgets that there isn't much help coming from the minors unfortunately. I was also being optimistic that they'll increase the payroll which may or may not happen 

25 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I think you can get Hellickson for UJ money - 13/yr for 3 years.  I consider him to be a 3 for the Os. 

23 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I think you can get Hellickson for UJ money - 13/yr for 3 years.  I consider him to be a 3 for the Os. 

Sounds reasonable. The market will help answer that question, this winter. JH's stats look solid. But I'm not rally familiar with him. He had a bad 3 year stretch, prior to last season. And his 2017 number show the reason the O's were able to acquire him so cheaply. I'm skittish that he's just having a good run in a walk year. My initial reaction is to aim higher, but the ownership group doesn't aim higher.  

1 minute ago, weird-O said:

Sounds reasonable. The market will help answer that question, this winter. JH's stats look solid. But I'm not rally familiar with him. He had a bad 3 year stretch, prior to last season. And his 2017 number show the reason the O's were able to acquire him so cheaply. I'm skittish that he's just having a good run in a walk year. My initial reaction is to aim higher, but the ownership group doesn't aim higher.  

Agree.  He just seems to slot in where the O's shop when looking for starting pitching.  If he makes a good Impression, they may bite.  There is a lot of ash and trash out their again. A lot of guys who are pushing into their mid 30s - like Estrada, Vargas, exct.   Cobb may be one of the better values available. But he seems injury prone which is a non starter for Pete.

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

I don't think Tillman is going anywhere.