Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

391 posts in this topic

Ok GDEF, Mamba, MDSOCCER.....waiting on your pre-season analysis...

With all the classifications realignment, I don't know whose where.  Who are the HoCo 4A teams to challenge Wise and Quince Orchard?  I'm looking for teams to step up to them.

30 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

With all the classifications realignment, I don't know whose where.  Who are the HoCo 4A teams to challenge Wise and Quince Orchard?  I'm looking for teams to step up to them.

Howard is still the lone 4A school in HoCo.

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

21 minutes ago, DJGreg1200 said:

Howard is still the lone 4A school in HoCo.

DJGreg is correct.  Howard is still the lone 4A school in the county.  But Long Reach were 50 students short of becoming 4A as well.  There's a plan (I believe starting next school year) to re-district an area that would move families from Howard to Long Reach.  This should push them to 4A class.  But as it stands for the next 2 year:

4A - Howard

3A - Long Reach, Reservoir, Atholton, Centennial, Mt Hebron

2A - Glenelg, River Hill, Wilde Lake, Oakland Mills, Marriotts Ridge, Hammond

Posted (edited)

Then 0 to 100, what's Howard's chance of unseating Wise should they meet in the playoffs?  And assume it would have to be done at Wise unless they meet at natural Naval Academy.

By the way, I sense QO's season will be focused on Wise.

Edited by DayWalker

7 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Then 0 to 100, what's Howard's chance of unseating Wise should they meet in the playoffs?  And assume it would have to be done at Wise unless they meet at natural Naval Academy.

By the way, I sense QO's season will be focused on Wise.

Not quite sure about Howard's chances of beating Wise.  Now unless Wise finds another D-1 caliber QB I do believe they take a step back towards the pack.  But they are still the big favorite in a 3-peat, for its hard for any public school team to match up against skill position players that are rated 3-5 stars.  But if you need a percentage I would say 20% chance.

3 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Not quite sure about Howard's chances of beating Wise.  Now unless Wise finds another D-1 caliber QB I do believe they take a step back towards the pack.  But they are still the big favorite in a 3-peat, for its hard for any public school team to match up against skill position players that are rated 3-5 stars.  But if you need a percentage I would say 20% chance.

As a matter of fact Sho, a rising sophomore ( a junior when classes start in weeks ) from Good Counsel, will assume QB duties for Wise.  I saw him at the UMD and PG Co passing tournaments.  He is about 6' 3" or 6' 4" and a solid passer.  This may represent a change in Wise's option run first offense since Wise pretty much had short RBs disguised as QBs, even Jabari Laws of last year.  I thought Wise was going to be okay bringing up its JV QB, a big good kid, but it looks like Wise is going with the transfer for the next two years grooming the back-up sophomore to take over when he is a junior.  Wise has some excellent receivers, a good corps of receivers even without all-everything AJ Lytton, and the rich get richer because Wise may have an incoming kid from middle school who may go directly to varsity as a receiver. I don't know the kid's name but he reminds me of Howard's Devin Dawkins but at wideout or even slot.

So right now I'm looking to Quince Orchard or Northwest as the leaders to halt Wise.

14 hours ago, DayWalker said:

As a matter of fact Sho, a rising sophomore ( a junior when classes start in weeks ) from Good Counsel, will assume QB duties for Wise.  I saw him at the UMD and PG Co passing tournaments.  He is about 6' 3" or 6' 4" and a solid passer.  This may represent a change in Wise's option run first offense since Wise pretty much had short RBs disguised as QBs, even Jabari Laws of last year.  I thought Wise was going to be okay bringing up its JV QB, a big good kid, but it looks like Wise is going with the transfer for the next two years grooming the back-up sophomore to take over when he is a junior.  Wise has some excellent receivers, a good corps of receivers even without all-everything AJ Lytton, and the rich get richer because Wise may have an incoming kid from middle school who may go directly to varsity as a receiver. I don't know the kid's name but he reminds me of Howard's Devin Dawkins but at wideout or even slot.

So right now I'm looking to Quince Orchard or Northwest as the leaders to halt Wise.

Well...as Wise's Athletics twitter account always tweets... " Why pay twice?".  if this kid any good DW they will get their 3-peat.

1 hour ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Well...as Wise's Athletics twitter account always tweets... " Why pay twice?".  if this kid any good DW they will get their 3-peat.

I don't think the Wise QB has to be an exceptional passing threat but just manage the option offense like Laws did.  I haven't seen tall pocket passers in PG but fellows who were essentially runningbacks who take the snap from center and decide what to do at mesh point with the fist three options being run and pass last or to keep a defense honest.  This new Wise QB is tall and thin, unlike a type who would rather run than throw.  It's going to be interested to see how Wise play in it's 2nd game against Calvert Hall.  I don't expect to see much in Wise's first game against Surrattsville but a running clock in the 2nd half with a half time score of 50plus - 0.

I'll go with Howard, Glenelg, Long Reach - 1, 2, 3. Right now. Still want to continue to consult with my 12-15 coaching friends in the county. Pretty sure it'll still be the same top 3, though their input will help me with 4-12. With skill players spread throughout the county, including Owens and Dawkins, it'll come down to line play, as usual.

I don't have any inclination to say Howard can finally compete with the jauggernaut that is Wise. I have the Pumas, Quince Orchard, and Northwest, as the top 3 in 4A.

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

I don't think the Wise QB has to be an exceptional passing threat but just manage the option offense like Laws did.  I haven't seen tall pocket passers in PG but fellows who were essentially runningbacks who take the snap from center and decide what to do at mesh point with the fist three options being run and pass last or to keep a defense honest.  This new Wise QB is tall and thin, unlike a type who would rather run than throw.  It's going to be interested to see how Wise play in it's 2nd game against Calvert Hall.  I don't expect to see much in Wise's first game against Surrattsville but a running clock in the 2nd half with a half time score of 50plus - 0.

I agree with you DW, that QB don't have to be that great for Wise to win it all again. Lytton, Hazel and Morsell will make him look just fine.  RB Oliver is a pretty quick RB, so this team "should" be explosive.

47 minutes ago, themamba said:

I'll go with Howard, Glenelg, Long Reach - 1, 2, 3. Right now. Still want to continue to consult with my 12-15 coaching friends in the county. Pretty sure it'll still be the same top 3, though their input will help me with 4-12. With skill players spread throughout the county, including Owens and Dawkins, it'll come down to line play, as usual.

I don't have any inclination to say Howard can finally compete with the jauggernaut that is Wise. I have the Pumas, Quince Orchard, and Northwest, as the top 3 in 4A.

The winner of the county is extremely hard to pick.  I kind of believe it will be between Howard and Long Reach.  With Glenelg losing 4/5 of their huge OL I think Owens will have some problems against the much better opponents.

29 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

I agree with you DW, that QB don't have to be that great for Wise to win it all again. Lytton, Hazel and Morsell will make him look just fine.  RB Oliver is a pretty quick RB, so this team "should" be explosive.

And don't forget I told you first about the freshman I think will go straight to varsity at Wise.  And he could start or see lots of play time as a freshman with championship caliber Wise.  His name is Jalil Farooq and anyone who has frequented Dunbar's field for youth ball have seen him:

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Sho'. I wasn't sure how many they lost, but did realize they lost their top two 300+ pound behomiths - Davis (Syracuse), a 1st team All-Met selection, and Folkman, a 2nd team All-Met selection. Skill-level aside, they'll be big. They've been big for over 50 years out there, as you well know. I did say it'll come down to line play.

I do think this may be as much of a crapshoot at the top, not seen since 2011, when anyone could have picked eventual state champion River Hill or eventual undefeated county champ Atholton, who shut out the Hawks in the regular season, only to lose, 21-12, in the regional final.

That Raiders team may be the best non-regional final winner in HoCo history. Not only did they shut out the state champs, and punish 3rd place Glenelg, 39-0 in the opener (later forfeited for illegal practice), but they posted the 6th best point differential in a season in HoCo history, at +30.2. The Raiders gave up 7 points or less in 8 of their 10 county games, 

The last 3 seasons, I've had Howard as the heavy favorite. In '13, I had River Hill, if no other reason because of the Hawks winning 4 state titles in 6 years. We both know that '13 turned out to be a free-for-all, one of the most, if not the most, competitive races in county history.

Edited by themamba

Man, don't bring up HoCo yesteryears!  I still haven't gotten over the frostbite I suffered the night Patuxent came back in the second half of a playoff game against Oakland Mills at OM in 2014.  The first and second half were like night and day.  OM was cruising to victory until someone called half-time and OM left it's game in the locker room.

Day, I'll be sure to credit you. Good work. You know I'll always have a thing for the Pumas, with my former teammate Joe Lewis (Temple) having spent time on the Pumas sidelines, and with DeLawn and former Scorpion great Fardan, there now. Thanks for the reel.

Posted (edited)

Mannnnn, if you don't stop bringing that nightmare up, geez. Cold as Hell. Richard Pryor in Chicago cold. Put up 35 before intermission, machine was blasting through the sub-freezing temeratures. Pindell, Hop, Harris. Showtime. Then..... WE LET 'EM OFF THE HOOK! That, and they steamrolled us. I guess turning off the heat in the girls locker room backfired.

Both you and I know, as well as Sho', that O was a fine tuned machine in '14. The 2nd highest scoring offense in HoCo history, (42.5) averaging more points than River Hill's '07 (39.4) and '08 (41.7) teams. The '12 Hawks averaged 42.9 points per game.

Those were the days.

Edited by themamba

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, themamba said:

Mannnnn, if you don't stop bringing that nightmare up, geez. Cold as Hell. Richard Pryor in Chicago cold. Put up 35 before intermission, machine was blasting through the sub-freezing temeratures. Pindell, Hop, Harris. Showtime. Then..... WE LET 'EM OFF THE HOOK! That, and they steamrolled us. I guess turning off the heat in the girls locker room backfired.

Both you and I know, as well as Sho', that O was a fine tuned machine in '14. The 2nd highest scoring offense in HoCo history, (42.5) averaging more points than River Hill's '07 (39.4) and '08 (41.7) teams. The '12 Hawks averaged 42.9 points per game.

Those were the days.

I knew some peeps with Douglass at the time and I'm telling you, Douglass who won 2A states that year feared a matchup with OM.  I was told they had close eyes in OM for weeks before that playoff game with Patuxent.  Nearly the entire Douglass team was in the stands and looked concerned in the first half and turned into Patuxent cheerleaders in the 2nd half.  Patuxent and Douglass may have had 4 consecutive playoff meetings and they were 2 and 2 prior to that 2014 season.  Anyway, the Douglass QB Devin Butler and Oakland Mills David Pindell would have been a great matchup as well as the Douglass DBs vs the OM receivers.  The difference to me would have been the two 300lbs pancake guards who led some Douglass backs who ran violently often issuing punishment on tacklers.

Yep, good football then....  I recall talking to the mom of an OM player whose brother was at Hampton U, one of my many neck of the woods.

Again. I moaned like a beach in pure pain as my fingers thawed in the car on the way home. Like lil whining beach I whined that night.

Edited by DayWalker

11 hours ago, themamba said:

Day, I'll be sure to credit you. Good work. You know I'll always have a thing for the Pumas, with my former teammate Joe Lewis (Temple) having spent time on the Pumas sidelines, and with DeLawn and former Scorpion great Fardan, there now. Thanks for the reel.

Coach Fardan Carter is no longer at Wise. He is now the RB coach at Long Reach.

8 hours ago, ECF said:

Coach Fardan Carter is no longer at Wise. He is now the RB coach at Long Reach.

Farda'n Carter is no longer coaching at Wise!?  MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Now I was actually hoping that he applied for the Howard position!!!  Congrats to you guys.  Him and his entire family are VERY cool people!!!!  Wasn't he the DB and/or Defensive Coord at Wise??

6 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Farda'n Carter is no longer coaching at Wise!?  MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Now I was actually hoping that he applied for the Howard position!!!  Congrats to you guys.  Him and his entire family are VERY cool people!!!!  Wasn't he the DB and/or Defensive Coord at Wise??

He was the DC, not sure of his position. He was also the head track coach from my understanding.

He was. Coached the Pumas boys to the state title in both indoor and outdoor in 2012. He just took the job at Howard Community College as Head Track & Field Coach for the men's and women's teams several weeks ago. He ran on 5 state champion relay teams at OM. Ran a 4.5 40.

17 hours ago, ECF said:

He was the DC, not sure of his position. He was also the head track coach from my understanding.

Wow I though he was also hired as the new HCC track coach. Seems like a lot to do both jobs.

I have been doing a lot of thinking on this and I think Long Reach will get it done this year. They return a bunch of starters.

That week 1 matchup of Howard vs Glenelg is awesome btw!