Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

393 posts in this topic

Grasping at straws, hardly. I spelled it out for you being a turning point. 94-6 before that night, 23-17 in the next 40. Giving up 4 points per game through 6 games, then giving up 47 in 1 to a 5 loss Hammond team. Most would call that a turning point. Nevermind the point differential getting cut by more than 70%. Most would view that as a turning point.

You may look at that as being an aberration and look at the next year on Kilimanjaro on that October night when the Scorpions beat the Hawks for the first time in 12 years as being an aberration or turning point. They did finish that year much like the year before, going 1-4 in their last 5 after starting 7-0. The Hammond game that I mentioned had the Hawks coming in at 6-0 before going 3-3 the rest of the way. And that OM argument is solid, considering the Hawks are 14-14 since that kickoff on Kilimanjaro.

But that would ignore the 21-3 loss to Howard 2 weeks following the Hammond loss, when the Hawks failed to score a TD, which had happened once in 8 years. It would also ignore the 'ball spot' game you mention, where the Hawks gave up 41 points, which they had never done in a very long time, aside of course from the 47-burger Martin, House & Co. delivered them.

Edited by themamba

Oakland Mills Shallon Robinson's 326 passing yards in the Scorpions 29-28 loss to Long Reach ranks 10th best all-time in HoCo. 8 of the 11 320+ yard passing performances in HoCo history were done by 4 Scorpions (Sottilare, Pindell, Gibson and Robinson), with 6 of those coming in the last 4 seasons - Pindell 3 times, Gibson twice. Sottilare holds the HoCo single-game passing yards record,  when he threw 23 completions for 448 yards v MTH in '07.

Went 4-1 with my picks. My spreads were a little off. 

Thoughts from 1st week....

Glenelg is not the 2nd best team in the county and a .500 record seems to be the realistic goal for the gladiators. 

Long Reach needs to find their passing game and pass defense. The new QB is no where near the talent of their All-County QB from last year. 

Reservoir....wow 

River Hill is solid, and the scrimmage reports about Atholton seem to be spot on. It is hard to score 0 points in a high school game.

Wilde Lake may have been ranked too low on this board (including me)

Week 2 Power Rankings

Howard

Long Reach

River Hill

Wilde Lake

Oakland MIlls

Glenelg

Mount Hebron

Marriotts Ridge

Atholton

Reservoir

Hammond

8 hours ago, GDEF said:

Went 4-1 with my picks. My spreads were a little off. 

Thoughts from 1st week....

Glenelg is not the 2nd best team in the county and a .500 record seems to be the realistic goal for the gladiators. 

Long Reach needs to find their passing game and pass defense. The new QB is no where near the talent of their All-County QB from last year. 

Reservoir....wow 

River Hill is solid, and the scrimmage reports about Atholton seem to be spot on. It is hard to score 0 points in a high school game.

Wilde Lake may have been ranked too low on this board (including me)

Week 2 Power Rankings

Howard

Long Reach

River Hill

Wilde Lake

Oakland MIlls

Glenelg

Mount Hebron

Marriotts Ridge

Atholton

Reservoir

Hammond

Glenelg - I can't write em off after one game, unless the coaching staff remain to be stubborn and only run the ball up the middle.  They must find ways getting Wande Owens the ball out in space.  But remember GDEF that Glenelg don't play Long Reach.  They can easily win the rest of their games and finish at 8-1.  Can't quite write em off as of yet.

My hats off to Mt Hebron coach Mike McCartney for winning their season opener against Reservoir in somewhat convincing fashion!  I recall Coach McCartney stating he would mold his offensive and defensive schemes around the athletes on the field.  So with the 4 TDs scored by RB/SB Joey Schwartz it sounds like the offense will be ran through him.  Last year with Schwartz along with Ricky Williams Jr (Lycoming) and Walter Nelson (2nd team All HoCo - now transferred to Gwynn Park) they could barely mustered up 109 points for the season.  Coach McCartney walks in and with one game scores almost 33% of last year's points. Congrats Coach!

Don't tell me Reservoir is starting off the same way they did last year!  Well....after the "Centennial Bye" they do have Hammond.  Maybe they can get on the board then.

Still a little early, but maybe Oakland Mills were playing some inspired ball Saturday evening.  Either way, a very good showing by those guys.

Even though I can't create a power poll after one game I don't have any real beef with your rankings.  I will probably put one out after 3 or 4 games.

I think your Power Rankings are solid. After 1, I'd have the same top 4, keeping an eye on Glenelg, OM, Hebron, to see if they belong in the top half or third.

Wilde Lake got into Hammond's head, with 2 Bears ejected. Wilde Lake is extremely young. Their two DE's are freshman. They play 5 freshman and 5 sophomores. 41-6? Whoa.

My big bro', BW (OM c/o '79), one of my 4 closest friends, gave an awsome, heartfelt tribute to Coach Sam Singleton, before a crowd of 500 last night on the football field at a candlelight vigil on Kilimanjaro.

BW and Sam spent 21 years (63 sport seasons) together at OM, that culminated in 24 county championships, 23 regional championships, and 19 state championships -18 track, 1 football. From Aug 15 until Memorial Day - football to indoor track to track & field, for 21 years. You're not going to find anyone more dedicated to OM than these two, myself included. Here is a tape of the tribute.

Please note, when he speaks of the best team he coached being the '90 team that my brother QB'd and Sam's son Korey carried, 'Cutty' doesn't include the '98 state championship team he and Sam coached, or two he didn't, his '78 team, and my '83 team, considered by most to be the 2nd and 3rd best behind the '98 team. Also, for you public v private fans, the '90 OM team shutout Calvert Hall, 19-0, at Calvert Hall.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-remembering-coach-singleton-0904-story.html

Edited by themamba

1 hour ago, themamba said:

Also, for you public v private fans, the '90 OM team shutout Calvert Hall, 19-0, at Calvert Hall.

Show off!!!

But Forest Park may have shutout Calvert that season also 20-0.  Oh, and I believe is was 21-0 OM in 1990.  Lets not short us like dem them do.  Yet that darn Poly allowed CHC to score that same year beating the Cardinals 41-6.  But City rolled over for the private.  So CHC was 1 and 3 against the pubs....  Go figure

Edited by DayWalker

Duplicate

Edited by themamba

Ok, I can count on you to keep me on my p's and q's. As long as we can agree that it was 3 touchdowns OM, zero points, Calvert Hall. It was a Week 1 game. My brother threw a 40 yard TD pass before a high ankle sprain kept him out of Week 2. Korey had a pedestrian game before rushing for 200 yards in 6 of the next 8 games.

OM wasn't even the best team in the county that year, though OM may have gave WL a run, had Singleton (Northwestern) been able to play running back v Wilde Lake, in Week 10 for the county championship, after getting hurt in Week 9.

The '90 Wildecats (13-0) were loaded with - Rafael Wall (Maryland), Ricky Rowe (Penn St), Brent Guyton (UCLA), Damon Hamlin (Rutgers), and Jamie Easterly (Georgia Tech), and All-Met Darius Walters, for starters. 'Cats would 3-peat, going 38-1 from '90-92.

Wall would win Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year, setting the MPSSAA single-season rushing record, with 2,063 yards., and the MPSSAA career rushing record with 5,095 yards. Singleton was 402 yards ahead of Wall before he got hurt in Week 9, and would have set the state record had he not got hurt. 10 years later, another 'Cats back, Mario Merrills (Maryland), would win the Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year.

Edited by themamba

Coach Singleton's was a great coach and neighbor, lived across the street.  He will be missed by all.

Just a side note Mamba, Korey would have broken every record that year.  He didn't start the first two games of the year and missed games 10+.  Eric Graham and PW Brooks both ran for over 100 yards behind an outstanding offensive line (I helped).  

17 minutes ago, 50defense said:

Coach Singleton's was a great coach and neighbor, lived across the street.  He will be missed by all.

Just a side note Mamba, Korey would have broken every record that year.  He didn't start the first two games of the year and missed games 10+.  Eric Graham and PW Brooks both ran for over 100 yards behind an outstanding offensive line (I helped).  

Yea, I think we may have went over this before. Korey actually had more carries that day, 13 for 63 yards, than Eric did, 12 for 108 yards, which included an 85 yard TD run. Had just 23 yards on the other 11 carrirs. Eric very well could have started Week 1 27 years ago, I honestly can't remember. Either way, despite Graham having sub 11 100 times, we can both agree Singleton was not only the best RB on the team, but probably in the area, including Wall and Larry Washington, who both had outstanding years. He did average more yards per game.

Edited by themamba

Just for the record every article seems to forget that coach singleton also coached my Boys outdoor track to a state championship in 2010 although he was technically not the head coach.

And thats the reason why, he technically wasn't the coach. I acknowledged it, as did BW when he spoke at Sam's memorial yesterday, and the vigil on Monday night. Everybody at OM understands that. Sam and BW didn't even know how many county, regional and state championships they won, until I told them. I guess when you win so many, you lose count.

Fact is, those two are responsible for 1/3 of the 57 state championship (3rd all-time in MPSSAA history) banners that hang in the gym on Kilimanjaro. There is no room for the hundred+ regional banners, or league championship banners. 

New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles also gave a great tribute to Sam to begin the memorial, yesterday. Bowles was Sam's nephew, and he spoke of Sam as a father figure, one in which many in their family and community of Elizabeth, New Jersey, didn't have. He said Sam taught him how to be a man. It was powerful.

Edited by themamba

Yea, Korey started.

[After Singleton (13 carries for 63 yards) softened up the Calvert Hall defense for much of the first quarter, ...The rest of the day pretty much belonged to tailback Eric Graham, a tall, slender 6-foot-3-inch senior who turned in a varsity debut to remember.

Graham, known more for his track prowess -- as a freshman, he was part of the Scorpions' state-championship 4x200-meter relay team and has been timed in 10.9 seconds in the 100-meter -- -- came back to football after missing last season due to academic ineligibility. He had also missed considerable preseason action with injuries to both quadriceps muscles. He essentially walked onto the field Saturday untested.

In the second period, the Scorpions unveiled Graham, whom assistant coach Dan Ricker had jokingly referred to as "our secret weapon."

Graham's first play was an exciting 38-yard punt return in which he knifed through half the Calvert Hall defense while sprinting from sideline to sideline. Liking what he saw, Hovet decided to insert Graham in the backfield and give him the ball some more.]

Edited by themamba

On 8/23/2017 at 11:24 AM, themamba said:

Maybe the kid thats played there for 3 years and missing his senior season is lying, I never thought of that. Maybe he just ommitted the part about there is a large group of kids here that have played their whole life that just don't want to play for Centennial.

You can't quit if you never played. Even more important, you are not quitting if you have no interest in that recreational activity, or lost interest because some middle-aged man on the internet has taken too many testosterone pills this morning.

The numbers are clear, less and less kids have any interest in playing football than a decade ago. Substantially. More than likely, there will be less in a decade from now. Thats the strong trend and projection.

This isn't new for high school scholastic sports teams. There have been many JV teams that have failed to field teams in HoCo over the last decade, mainly on the girls side. Football grabs your attention. I just read an article from '95 or '96 where a Glenelg player was saying they were down to 25 players, due to 4 injuries. Thats 1996. At Glenelg. My senior year at OM, we broke camp with 29 players. 30ish players has been routine at many HoCo schools for 40 years.

As for academia, we can all find some list listing various 'best schools'. If you want to argue that Centennial and Walter Johnson aren't among the best schools in the state, that's fine, its your opinion.

Whatever the reason, our kids and grandkids as a whole, just aren't that into you (football) anymore. Get used to it.

Looks like football hasn't dropped off as much as the other big three basketball has taken the biggest hit.  Also football seems to be on the uptick.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2017/09/06/youth-sports-study-declining-participation-rising-costs-and-unqualified-coaches/?utm_term=.abe435eae993

River Hill at Oakland Mills
 Game of the week. This game will tell us a lot about where these teams are. Oakland Mills took a top tier team to the final play of the game. They should have the better athletes on the field this week. River Hill is a solid team that beat up on a a team on the decline. River Hill has the better coaches. Talent vs Coaching, which one will come out on top. For this game I have talent. OM by 1 TD

Wilde Lake at Atholton
 The battle for Columbia. Wilde Lake flexed their muscles last week by beating up Hammond. Ostia Smith is one of the better athletes in the county. Atholton did not put up any points against RH. I guess the scrimmage reports were true. Wilde Lake by 2 TD's

Howard at Marriotts Ridge
 Marriotts Ridge had a bye giving them extra time to prepare for Howard. Marriotts ridge usually plays tough defense so I expect them to have a good game plan against the Lions. Howard pounded their rival last week sending a message to the rest of the league that they are still top dog. I think Marriotts Ridge could have a month to prepare for this game and it will not matter. Howard by 4 TD's

Mt. Hebron at Glenelg
 Who would have thought that this game would be a must win game for the Gladiators. Glenelgs line is a shell of its former self. They lack the size they use to always have. Their 2nd best player is also lost for the season. Hebron beat Rezzi last week. Still trying to figure that one out. Joey Swartz lead the charge with 4 TD's. The 3A east region is super weak. Hebron is projected to finish 4th and make the playoffs. A win against Glenelg would go a long way to giving the Vikings their 1st playoff appearance since 2012. All that being said I am going with the Big Red and Wande Owens to find a way to win. Glenelg by 1 TD

Long Reach at Hammond
 Hammond is still in rebuild mode after getting smacked by Wilde Lake last week. A quality win would go a long way for the program so it can build some confidence. Long Reach almost blew it against OM last week. They have some work to do with their passing offense and defense. This is the week to work on that. Long Reach by 4 TD's

Rezzi-Bye week

(4-1 record)

I'll go...

RH by 2 TDS

WL by 4 TDS

HOW by 5 TDs

GLG by 3 TDs

LR by 4 TDs

...and I'm being lazy and not supplying any supporting reasoning whatsoever.

5 hours ago, DJ88 said:

Looks like football hasn't dropped off as much as the other big three basketball has taken the biggest hit.  Also football seems to be on the uptick.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2017/09/06/youth-sports-study-declining-participation-rising-costs-and-unqualified-coaches/?utm_term=.abe435eae993

Actually, if we are going from the chart you provided, football has dropped a little more than basketball, based on the data you provided, a dropoff of 23% in football to a dropoff of 21% in basketball from '08-16.

River Hill at Oakland Mills - This is a VERY hard game to call.  I think River Hill is the better team.  But I believe once again Oakland Mills will play some inspired football.  But in the end River Hill will find a way to win.  River Hill by 1 score

Wilde Lake at Atholton - Still in shock that Atholton is still playing bad ball.  Not sure of the problem.  But even though they are at home I think Wilde Lake will continue to get the ball in their young athlete Osita Smith's hands.   Wilde Lake by 2 scores

Howard at Marriotts Ridge It might take Howard a little time to get used to Marriotts Ridge's triple-option offense.  But I don't believe Marriotts Ridge will be able to slow down Howard's offense at all. Howard by 4 scores

Mt. Hebron at Glenelg - I am pretty sure Glenelg was embarrassed with the way they played at Howard last week.  I think their offense will get back on track.  But Glenelg  must find other ways to get Wande Owens the ball other than just running him right up the middle.  I think Mt Hebron will hang around, but fall in the 4th qtr.   Glenelg by 2 scores

Long Reach at Hammond - Now this game should not be close at all. I think Long Reach just caught Oakland Mills at a time they were pretty jacked to play. I think Long Reach passing offense will get on track tonight and the defense will play much better. Long Reach by 5 scores

Howard 29

Marriotts Ridge 10

Final

Atholton 27

Wilde Lake 7

Final.

Long Reach 23

Hammond 0

Final

Edited by ShoNuff07
Correct score

River Hill 38 Oakland Mills 34 F

Scorps score 28 and 34, 0-2. Think I saw this movie in '15. Sequels are overrated. 'The Hill' is back! No, not like that, but still. Have to put them at 3, now.

River Hill 38 at Oakland Mills 34

Wilde Lake 7 at Atholton 27 

Howard 29 at Marriotts Ridge 10

Mt. Hebron 0 at Glenelg 24

Long Reach 23 at Hammond 0

Reservoir - Centennial Bye

Edited by ShoNuff07

9 minutes ago, themamba said:

River Hill 38 Oakland Mills 34 F

Scorps score 28 and 34, 0-2. Think I saw this movie in '15. Sequels are overrated. 'The Hill' is back! No, not like that, but still. Have to put them at 3, now.

River Hill is the 3rd undefeated team in the county.  I guess we should put them at #3....for now.

But I knew Oakland Mills would play a strong game.

Wow...I have no issue being wrong about Atholton winning their first game, but man did they smashed Wilde Lake.  And our buddy Agent Orange had Wilde Lake ranked #7 in his poll !  I must mess with my buddy.