Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

378 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Then I need nomad to get in here and tell us how Quince Orchard and Northwest are shaping up to possibly do in Wise.  I know Roosevelt is focused on it's mission and I am not expecting them to shoot their wad in their regular season game but unload both barrels in the playoff unless the season game can determine home field advantage. And I need to hear from OBC about what's going on at North Point as a Wise killer.

By if you came at the king, you best not miss.....  Omar, The Wire

Northwest and Wise played a very competitive scrimmage in August. Coach Neubeiser at NW is one of the best at making halftime adjustments. Wasn't the last loss for Wise against NW? 

I made a little mistake last weekend in that I knew I could get my hands on the CHC-Wise game video and I had intended to go see Westlake and North Point but I opt at the last second to go see CHC-Wise in person in addition to having the video.  And I only did because the traffic was backed up going into Waldorf as it always is Friday evening so I turned the car around and headed to Wise.  Damn, I could have seen The Point and Wise.

Anyway, the real word is that this is North Point's year.  They are a very very very heavy SR/Jr team and a large team in numbers.  That being said, they don't have much if any playoff experience to be calm and do what they do like Wise or Quince Orchard.  Even with home field advantage during the playoffs, that has not been very kind to North Point when they were in.

I thought Westlake was going to expose North Point last weekend but Eagles could have been bought up on abuse chargers for what they did to Westlake.

So for me, North Point will control it's regular season by learn quickly that the playoff is a whole new ball game when it's Win or Go Home.

Edited by DayWalker

5 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

Northwest and Wise played a very competitive scrimmage in August. Coach Neubeiser at NW is one of the best at making halftime adjustments. Wasn't the last loss for Wise against NW? 

The Pumas last loss was a first-round loss to DuVal in '14. The Pumas were also extinguished by DuVal in the first round in '13. The Pumas beat Northwest, 37-15, in '15.

Edited by themamba

Going back to '12, Wise beat QO in the final, 12-7. The Northwest win was in the state semifinals, and of course, Wise dispatched the Cougars, 42-7, in last years title game.

5 minutes ago, themamba said:

The Pumas last loss was a first-round loss to DuVal in '14. The Pumas were also extinguished by DuVal in the first round in '13. The Pumas beat Northwest, 37-15, in '15.

Yep, 2014 was the year Wise started Jabari Laws as a 10th-grader.  Wise backed out of the season opener against a Douglass team that was four years in the making and I am convinced without a shadow of doubt Wise was going to take a good butt whippin'.  So Wise opted to get paid to be beaten and took an OOS season kickoff classic game in NJ against St Pete Prep that GA was so proud Wise would step out of the box to take on.  GA didn't have a clue!  Wise was not "upping" its game but rather was a paid sparing partner for Prep and avoided an embarrassment by a 2A school in The U.  Did I mention that 2014 DouglassPG was a monster #1 team in the DMV.  The Poets know along with 13 others and they just missed setting a consecutive shutout record when Friendly scored with just seconds or a minute left in a 59 to 6 game.  Sniper may recall that one because there was a game of the week to be highlighted in the area TV news broadcast and it was decided which game to cover by vote.  Douglass/ Friendly (the publics) beat out DeMatha/Good Counsel (the privates) to televise.  But the media being who they are just know the privates would win the vote so they were already set to do the private game.  The telecast did after game interviews of the Douglass coach, some players, and cheerleaders and showed game play and other featured high school stuff of the private game featuring our own aaC's son and what DeM did with GC.  Pubs marginalized and short changed yet again!!!

10 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Then I need nomad to get in here and tell us how Quince Orchard and Northwest are shaping up to possibly do in Wise.  I know Roosevelt is focused on it's mission and I am not expecting them to shoot their wad in their regular season game but unload both barrels in the playoff unless the season game can determine home field advantage. And I need to hear from OBC about what's going on at North Point as a Wise killer.

By if you came at the king, you best not miss.....  Omar, The Wire

I covered Northwest  week 1 and Quince Orchard week 2.  NW offense looked outstanding, defense needs work.  QO defense looked excellent, offense has room for improvement.  Ive only seen Wise on film and at this time I would favor Wise over both NW & QO +14.  Thankfully we have at least 10 weeks for both MoCo 4A front runners to work out the kinks before they potentially face Wise. 

Yall aint got no Honey Nut?! - Omar, The Wire

Edited by nomad974

9 hours ago, nomad974 said:

I covered Northwest  week 1 and Quince Orchard week 2.  NW offense looked outstanding, defense needs work.  QO defense looked excellent, offense has room for improvement.  Ive only seen Wise on film and at this time I would favor Wise over both NW & QO +14.  Thankfully we have at least 10 weeks for both MoCo 4A front runners to work out the kinks before they potentially face Wise. 

Yall aint got no Honey Nut?! - Omar, The Wire

Cool, I took a liking to the NW QB when I saw them not only win the PG Passing Tournament during the summer but NW TOOK IT and in the finals against DeMatha.  That NW QB stands mighty tall in the pocket.  I like their chances.  I have yet to see the Doc and pack this year.  So right now I'm down to E. Roosevelt, Northwest, and Quince Orchard to provide my Box of Chocolates in 4A.

3A I can just ride the wave of whoever wants it most.

I see no one approaching Dam in 2A.

And I would get a kick out of Allegany kicking out it's little brother Fort Hill before Lackey puts Cumberland into off-season moaning.

I haven't seen Damascus, but I think Walkersville is pretty good at 2A.  It could be a good game.  They are strong and fast.  They remind me of Urbana during their run.

1 hour ago, FBCoach said:

I haven't seen Damascus, but I think Walkersville is pretty good at 2A.  It could be a good game.  They are strong and fast.  They remind me of Urbana during their run.

We can pretty much pencil in Damascus vs Walkersville for the 2A West regional final.  It will definitely be a clash of the titans.

Edited by nomad974

Nah, no pencil in anyone, earn the privilege and honor to play for states....just the way The DayWalker likes it....  And may the four week playoff temperatures not raise higher than 32-degrees F in the noon day sun with whirlin' winds.  :(

Edited by DayWalker

On 9/13/2017 at 8:10 PM, DayWalker said:

Okay, based upon what you said, I wanted to go back and see some Howard play and I see a 2016 Long Reach - Howard bump video in the cabinet.  Is that a good one to review HoCo peeps?

On 9/13/2017 at 8:33 PM, themamba said:

It was decent, I was there among a packed house.

Couple of other things.

I too wish River Hill played Gwynn Park. I also agree River Hill must not have wanted to play the Yellowjackets. Their staff is savvy enough, as mentioned on here dozens of times, to know/find out the opportunity was there. I have to beleive you two old timers would agree.

As for Wise and Howard talk, no disrepect (Oh lord, here comes the but), but there is nothing to see here. Though I like the past 2 Pumas teams over this one going for a 3-peat, I also like the Lions last 3 teams to this one.

I think we need to look south-southwest for a possible contender, in NW or QO. At this juncture, I'm still not willing to underestimate what Eleanor has under her skirt.

DW, you usually have as good a handle on the SMAC as much as anyone on here, so I ask, is it blasphemous to ask what kind of shot North Point would have? Haven't seen them, but my man Jimmy and Tracy Warner's son plays for the Eagles.

DayWalker,

That 2016 Long Reach vs Howard game won't show you much.  Just a game between cross-town rivals that was overly hyped up.

While I know that anything can happen on a given day, it is going to be hard to beat a team that has 3-5 star rated players with multiple D-1 offers at all of the skill positions minus the QB.  Plus you have a coaching staff that can coach?  Just going to be hard to beat this Wise team unless Wise beat themselves, which can happen on any given day.

And I agree with you for now Mamba, because its only been 2 games, both current Wise and Howard teams are not (yet maybe?) on the same level as the previous respective teams. 

But I will say this, if Howard plays Wise this year there will be a different mentality towards the game than in the past.

Edited by ShoNuff07
add wording

3 and 2 last week and 7 and 3 on the year. Not bad. I think I have a grasp on the county right now. Here we go week 3.......

Wilde Lake at Long Reach
 Man I was on the Wilde Lake bandwagon hard after week 1. I should have just remembered that they were playing Hammond and I would not have fallen in love with them so much. They get a chance to redeem themselves with a potential upset this week. Long Reach took care of business last week, and unless RH trips the up we are looking at another showdown with the arch rival Lions for county supremacy. Long Reach runs a high school offense while Wilde Lake does not, so I have the Lighting winning this game. Long Reach by 2 TD's

Atholton at Oakland Mills
This is a big game for both teams. Oakland Mills has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory the last 2 weeks. They are a quality team but they have no wins. If they improve their game situations they can go on a roll. Atholton put a beat down on their Columbia neighbors last week, and have a chance to defeat another Columbia foe. This is a statement game. The winner will make a climb in the power rankings. I have Oakland Mills by 1 TD

Marriotts Ridge at Glenelg
The Triple option offense for Marriotts Ridge is pretty good. I think they need to get more people involved to take some of the load off of Turner. Glenelg started slow, but eventually finished off Mt. Hebron. Wanda still hasn't had that great game yet. We will see if he breaks out against the Mustangs. I have Glenelg by 3 TD's

Howard at Mt. Hebron
Mt. Hebron kept it close against Glenelg until the Gladiators finally put them away. Mt. Hebron took advantage of a Reservoir team that was playing below their standards. Their offense is still very simple and lacks creativity. Howard is plugging along and taking care of business. Howard is averaging 200 yes per game rushing and almost 115 yes passing per game. That balance should give the Vikings a hard time. Robert Agbai is emerging as a nice 2nd option out of the backfield allowing Dawkins to be more fresh through out the game and later in the season. I have Howard by 4 TD's

Hammond at Reservoir
The schedule is very favorable for Reservoir. They had a chance to get the bye week to get themselves together, and not they have a chance to redeem themselves against Hammond. Reservoir has athletes and should win some games this year, but they need to be more sound and play better football. Hammond will have a tough time winning a game this year, especially with no Centennial on the schedule. They do have some athletes and Coach Fredrick is still trying to build the program up, but he needs more time. I have Reservoir by 3 TD's

River Hill is this weeks bye team

Wilde Lake at Long Reach - Man, so which Wilde Lake team is going to show up?  The one that dominated Hammond at home or the one that had issues scoring on the road against an average Atholton?  They are on the road, so that answers my question.  Long Reach by 4 scores.

Atholton at Oakland Mills -   I don't believe Atholton is built to put up points quickly like Oakland Mills, but unfortunately I don't think Oakland Mills can get a ton of stops.  It should be a close game but Oakland Mills will finally get their 1st victory of the season.  Oakland Mills by 1 score

Marriotts Ridge at Glenelg - I have a feeling this game will be closer than people may think. Wande Owens is Glenelg's only offensive threat, and that's via the ground only.  Marriotts Ridge has a pretty good defense and I believe they will do their job containing Owens, especially they are minus the HUGE OLs they were blessed to have the past 4 years.  But Marriotts Ridge's QB loves to keep the ball in their Triple Option offense.  Against Howard last week he saw what could happen if he share the ball, but how often will he spread it around?  Since Glenelg is at home I have to give them the slight edge. -  Glenelg by 1 score

Howard at Mt. Hebron
Mt. Hebron does has a legitimate home run threat in RB Joey Schwartz, but unfortunately that's all Mt Hebron has on offense. And I don't believe they have the players on defense to even contain Howard. Schwartz may get a couple of scores, but it will be near the end of the game. - Howard by 4 scores

Hammond at Reservoir - No way can Reservoir mess this one up.  This will be their home opener against the county worst team.  The Gators need to find a way to get the ball more to Navy Commit Ebissa Sambo - Reservoir by 4 scores

River Hill is on the Centennial Bye Week

2 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

DayWalker,

That 2016 Long Reach vs Howard game won't show you much.  Just a game between cross-town rivals that was overly hyped up.

While I know that anything can happen on a given day, it is going to be hard to beat a team that has 3-5 star rated players with multiple offers at all of the skill positions minus the QB.  Plus you have a coaching staff that can coach?  Just going to be hard to beat this Wise team unless Wise beat themselves, which can happen on any given day.

And I agree with you for now Mamba, because its only been 2 games, Both current Wise and Howard teams are not (yet maybe?) on the same level as the previous respective teams. 

But I will say this, if Howard plays Wise this year there will be a different mentality towards the game than in the past.

No Sho, I haven't finished seeing this 2016 LR - Howard game but it looks like a good game, not at all a stinker.  In fact, it looks more entertaining to me than CHC-Wise I would say was more over-hyped.  Nice size crowd at Howard from what I see albeit the LR chant of FU Howard FU is a bit over-the-top.  You wanna see this again.  Dawkins is killing it.

Oh, and what different mentality are you talkin' bout Willis....:confused:

On 9/14/2017 at 4:01 PM, DayWalker said:

No Sho, I haven't finished seeing this 2016 LR - Howard game but it looks like a good game, not at all a stinker.  In fact, it looks more entertaining to me than CHC-Wise I would say was more over-hyped.  Nice size crowd at Howard from what I see albeit the LR chant of FU Howard FU is a bit over-the-top.  You wanna see this again.  Dawkins is killing it.

Oh, and what different mentality are you talkin' bout Willis....:confused:

I call it over-hyped because even though they are cross-town rivals I didn't feel the game was THAT HUGE of a deal. Win or lose both teams were sitting pretty for the playoffs and had good shots at winning their region.  I am not going to get into how the Howard Administration decided to divide 1800 tickets in half with Long Reach. 

But the much hype and emotions poured into the game by both teams took some steam out of them afterwards.  Howard took Glenelg for granted since they just lost to Long Reach and ended up losing 25-20.  Howard were able to gather themselves and get back on track to win the county and its region.  But it appear that Long Reach took the lost PRETTY hard and lost to a then 2-6 Reservoir team.  Playing Hammond as their last regular season game saved some face, but they lost in the 1st round of the playoffs to a River Hill team they beat earlier in the regular season.  Yeah, big game against cross-town rivals....but far too much was put into the game.

Different mentality from the Howard kids if they get to Wise?  I can only go by what my very good contacts told me.  But my understanding was that the players were told "lets go out there and play our best" instead " Guys, we can beat this team"! And when I'm also hearing how jokes were cracked about how good Wise were, like calling them "The 3rd best college team in the state", that won't be said anymore.  I will just leave it at that...

Edited by ShoNuff07
spelling correction

Okay cool, I understand.  That's insider homer stuff that a non-HoCo person like me wouldn't know and perhaps couldn't care less.  I just thought it was an entertaining spirited game and my introduction to Howard's #22 I liked from the get.  I learned later that he was well known to Wise in more ways than one and he was focused to be halted / shutdown by Wise before he was injured.  Just for grins, see a bit of the game again.

Edited by DayWalker

Nm as well..

Edited by ShoNuff07
Comment I was responding to was removed

HoCo Week 3 Scores

Wilde Lake 0 at Long Reach 21
Atholton 17 at Oakland Mills 14
Marriotts Ridge 17 at Glenelg  21
Howard 42 at Mt. Hebron 0
Hammond 6 at Reservoir 42

HoCo Week 3 JV Scores

Centennial 12 at River Hill 24
Wilde Lake 0 at Long Reach 28
Atholton 18 at Oakland Mills 0
Marriotts Ridge 0 at Glenelg  20
Howard 26 at Mt. Hebron 0
Hammond 6 at Reservoir 58

LR's Kadarrian Booker broke the 200 yard mark for the second time in three weeks, with 203 yards on 25 carries in a 21-0 win over Wilde Lake. Both season and career LR rushing records are in sight, 

Allen Cross set the season mark in '11, rushing for 1,395 yards and 17 TD's. Booker needs 830 more yards and 10' more TD's to break the season mark, and 900 yards and 7 TD's to break Cross' career rushing records. Keith Richardson's career mark of 4,177 all-purpose yards is safe.

The Lightning are 3-0, with 2 consecutive shutouts, after allowing 28 points in the opening week win over Oakland Mills. The Lightning started 7-0 last season, before losing in weeks 8 and 9 to Howard and Reservoir, and before their fourth first rpund playoff exit.

Long Reach is 1 of 3 HoCo teams yet to ever win a playoff game, along with Centennial (0-1) and Marriotts Ridge (0-2).

Edited by themamba

3 hours ago, themamba said:

LR's Kadarrian Booker broke the 200 yard mark for the second time in three weeks, with 203 yards on 25 carries in a 21-0 win over Wilde Lake. Both season and career LR rushing records are in sight, 

Allen Cross set the season mark in '11, rushing for 1,395 yards and 17 TD's. Booker needs 830 more yards and 10' more TD's to break the season mark, and 900 yards and 7 TD's to break Cross' career rushing records. Keith Richardson's career mark of 4,177 all-purpose yards is safe.

The Lightning are 3-0, with 2 consecutive shutouts, after allowing 28 points in the opening week win over Oakland Mills. The Lightning started 7-0 last season, before losing in weeks 8 and 9 to Howard and Reservoir, and before their fourth first rpund playoff exit.

Long Reach is 1 of 3 HoCo teams yet to ever win a playoff game, along with Centennial (0-1) and Marriotts Ridge (0-2).

Ok. So in week 8 they lost to H. In week 9 they lost to R and then in the playoffs they lost to a no name team. You funny.

Oil, you must learn not to have someone's post creep into your feelings like that. I couldn't care any more or less about River Hill. I really don't care one way or another about the school. Really. If you'd like to add that RH beat a team in the first round last year that has never won a playoff game, thats fine. You know, you are like many of the MIAA inspired handles on here, never with an original thought or post, just a response to everyone else's. Followers. You do know you are allowed to share any original thoughts on here, right? Truth be told, I wasn't omitting RH on purpose, just stressing that it was another quick exit for LR, their 4th in as many tries. If it makes you feel better, please notice I didn't list the other 3 that also beat the playoff winless team, either.

Edited by themamba

Jake Peretti set a Howard County record last night v OM, picking off 5 of the 6 Raiders interceptions. The single-season county record for interceptions is held jointly by Jim Traber (WL '77) and Ben Hostetler (RH '04), who both had 10. Peretti now has 6.

I've known him since he was born, so I'm proud to say the kid his mom calls Mr B, former Scorpion Brandon Britton, set a Bowie St record today, with 4 receiving touchdowns, in a 66-20 win over St Augustine's. I sat with Brandon and his Mom at Coach Singleton's memorial, and he was very much looking to finishing the opening 3 week road tour on a high note.