Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

555 posts in this topic

RH doesnt play H this year? That doesnt make any sense. The stronger teams should always play each other. Throw the weaker teams a bone. If they dont know who the stronger teams are going to be before the season starts all the have to do is ask labamba.

42 minutes ago, Oil Can said:

RH doesnt play H this year? That doesnt make any sense. The stronger teams should always play each other. Throw the weaker teams a bone. If they dont know who the stronger teams are going to be before the season starts all the have to do is ask labamba.

Yea that is unfortunate they do not play this year. We may end up with co-county champs which would be weird. The schedule is based on school size. The AAM's didn't want the biggest schools playing the smallest schools. 

Mt. Hebron at River Hill - Really not much to say on this matchup.  River Hill is too well coached to have a letdown.  Plus the 9 game schedule will keep them very focus in their attempt to run the regular season tables.  Not going to be pretty at all.  River Hill by 7 scores.

Marriotts Ridge at Reservoir - this could be an interesting game  Marriotts Ridge does play some solid defense, but their offense has problems scoring, even with Athlete Eli Turner (Cornell offer) getting plenty of touches.  Even if Reservoir's WR/CB Ebissa Sambo (Navy commit) is healthy, they still have problems as well putting points on the board.  This will be close but I am giving  Reservoir the edge ONLY because they are a home.   Reservoir by 1 score.

Oakland Mills at Hammond - I just don't believe Hammond has the players to defend Oakland Mills air attack, just that simple. Plus they have only scored 4 TDs in 5 games. This should not be a close game, even though Oakland Mills is on the road.  Oakland Mills by 3 scores.

Glenelg at Atholton - Both teams are on 4-game winning streak after losing their season opener. But both teams have beaten opponents with below .500 records.  VERY hard game to predict, but Atholton has a very hard time putting points on the board, scoring only 61 points in 5 games.  Even without superstar RB Wande Owens right now I have to give Glenelg the edge in another close game.  Glenelg by 1 score.

Howard at Long Reach - Not necessary a must-win game for Long Reach, particularly regarding playoffs since their region is filled with some fairly average teams. but they need to make a big statement after losing big at River Hill. I think Long Reach will be more than up for the challenge against Howard.  While the Lions has been fairly lights out against their opponents, I don't believe this version of the Lions developed that killa instinct to dominate this game. I think Long Reach will pull away in the 4th qtr and win this cross town rivalry game.  Long Reach by 2 scores.

Wilde Lake is on Centennial Bye Week

6 hours ago, Oil Can said:

5 hours ago, GDEF said:

Yea that is unfortunate they do not play this year. We may end up with co-county champs which would be weird. The schedule is based on school size. The AAM's didn't want the biggest schools playing the smallest schools. 

The Ho Co Athletic Dept didn't have a contingent plan in place just in case a situation like such arise.  Would have been easier to make the teams that were not scheduled to play each other play.  Could have requested to start the football season early with these games, then continue on with bye weeks through out the regular season.  So you could have had that Howard/River Hill game Oily.  But your "brilliant" County Sports/Athletic Dept wasn't prepared....

River Hill leads Mt Hebron 35-0 with less than 3 mins in the 1st half

Marriotts Ridge leads Reservoir 10-6 at halftime.

Could MH be the next C? Not many spare parts on the sideline.

6 minutes ago, Oil Can said:

Could MH be the next C? Not many spare parts on the sideline.

Maybe Oily....maybe.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

River Hill leads Mt Hebron 35-0 with less than 3 mins in the 1st half

Marriotts Ridge leads Reservoir 10-6 at halftime.

River Hill 49 Mt Hebron 7 F

Marriotts Ridge 24 Reservoir 12 F

Oakland Mills 28 Hammond 20 F

Edited by ShoNuff07

Mt. Hebron at River Hill 49

Marriotts Ridge 24  at Reservoir 12

Oakland Mills 28 at Hammond 20

Glenelg 0 at Atholton 14 

Howard 20 at Long Reach 6

I was at the Howard/Long Reach game.  As I stated on Friday, I don't think Howard has that "Be the Hunter"/killer mentality.  I know Long Reach gift them the 1st TD but after forcing Long Reach into a 3 and out Howard went straight down the field and scored to go up 14-0 still in the 1st qtr.  But after that it seem like Howard just let off the pedal and tried to run out the clock basically.  Howard's offense still needs some work going forward, particularly the passing game.

As for Long Reach, I believe they will be ok.  They have 3 rather easy games to build upon in Marriotts Ridge, Mt Hebron and Reservoir before playing Atholton for playoff positioning in the 3A-East.  They should win their 1st ever playoff game.  But I hope these back-to-back losses don't break their spirits like last year's back to back losses appeared to have done.

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

.... I don't think Howard has that "Be the Hunter"/killer mentality.  I know Long Reach gift them the 1st TD but after forcing Long Reach into a 3 and out Howard went straight down the field and scored to go up 14-0 still in the 1st qtr.  But after that it seem like Howard just let off the pedal and tried to run out the clock basically.  Howard's offense still needs some work going forward, particularly the passing game.

Darn Sho.....I need a corps of teams to step up to Wise.  I need my box of chocolates and Howard is it for HoCo....  I need some junkyard dawg in Howard to face up to Wise and NOT some rollover rub its tummy kitty-cat lion.  Tell me you are lying 'bout no hunter mentality in Howard, please!!

Edited by DayWalker

Posted (edited)

Howard to me seems bored with its competition. They have dominated everyone they have played this year. Even the long Reach game long Reach had maybe 100 yards of offense. And no expolosive plays (20 yards or more). Long reachs only td was set up a bunch of penalties. Howard on offense was a little conservative but they would have been by 21-0 in the 2nd quarter if it were not for a funmble by their TE on long reaches 30 yd line. 

From what I have seen from howard in the past is They defiantly don't try to blow teams out. They call the dogs off super early and sub way sooner than other powers in th state. I think they do this out of respect for the opponents and because they don't wanna show anything. I have seen a lot of exotic plays from the offense come playoff time that they have held onto and not shown on film. 

Edited by GDEF

18 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:
Mt. Hebron at River Hill 49

Marriotts Ridge 24  at Reservoir 12

Oakland Mills 28 at Hammond 20

Glenelg 0 at Atholton 14 

Howard 20 at Long Reach 6

A 14 G 0? G's grip on the Confederate flag looks to be tenuous.

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Darn Sho.....I need a corps of teams to step up to Wise.  I need my box of chocolates and Howard is it for HoCo....  I need some junkyard dawg in Howard to face up to Wise and NOT some rollover rub its tummy kitty-cat lion.  Tell me you are lying 'bout no hunter mentality in Howard, please!!

Yes, I don't think Howard has that hunter mentality Day.  As much as I pull for them, at this time I just don't see it.

Edited by ShoNuff07

Is it the make-up of the type of players at Howard or something not programed into them by their coaches or both or what....  This football world is predator or prey; you either a hardcore vamp or my drink.  To deal with Quince Orchard or Northwest or North Point or Wise and any of the other state titles seekers, Howard best take on the elements of the jungle and quick....

Howard Co JV Standings

Long Reach (5-0)

Atholton (5-0)

Howard (4-1)

Glenelg (4-1)

River Hill (4-1)

Reservoir (3-2)

Mt. Hebron (2-3)

Oakland Mills (2-3)

Wilde Lake (1-4)

Centennial (0-5)

Marriotts Ridge (0-5)

Hammond (0-5)

On 10/9/2017 at 11:07 AM, ECF said:

Howard Co JV Standings

Long Reach (5-0)

Atholton (5-0)

Howard (4-1)

Glenelg (4-1)

River Hill (4-1)

Reservoir (3-2)

Mt. Hebron (2-3)

Oakland Mills (2-3)

Wilde Lake (1-4)

Centennial (0-5)

Marriotts Ridge (0-5)

Hammond (0-5)

Thanks ECF.  I was waiting for the score of the Oakland Mills/Hammond game.  I am guessing Oakland Mills did win?

Sho

JMT has only three 4A teams ahead of Howard right now, so there must be hope.....

On 10/9/2017 at 9:39 AM, DayWalker said:

Is it the make-up of the type of players at Howard or something not programed into them by their coaches or both or what....  This football world is predator or prey; you either a hardcore vamp or my drink.  To deal with Quince Orchard or Northwest or North Point or Wise and any of the other state titles seekers, Howard best take on the elements of the jungle and quick....

On 10/8/2017 at 10:09 AM, GDEF said:

Howard to me seems bored with its competition. They have dominated everyone they have played this year. Even the long Reach game long Reach had maybe 100 yards of offense. And no expolosive plays (20 yards or more). Long reachs only td was set up a bunch of penalties. Howard on offense was a little conservative but they would have been by 21-0 in the 2nd quarter if it were not for a funmble by their TE on long reaches 30 yd line. 

From what I have seen from howard in the past is They defiantly don't try to blow teams out. They call the dogs off super early and sub way sooner than other powers in th state. I think they do this out of respect for the opponents and because they don't wanna show anything. I have seen a lot of exotic plays from the offense come playoff time that they have held onto and not shown on film. 

Day Walker,

If you read what GDEF stated in his 2nd paragraph he answers your question, which is I believe most of this comes from coaching.  Yes, once that score gets up to 28 points they are basically calling off the dogs, meaning the play calling gets very conservative. And GDEF is correct, they try extremely hard not to put stuff on tape so it can work to their benefit come regional playoff time.  But on the flip side there's a difference in executing plays in practice versus executing plays in the game.  A VERY good example, like GDEF mentioned, is the fumble by the TE in the Long Reach game.  Not only was that the first time that play was ever called, but that was the 1st time that TE was thrown the ball in a game...this season!  Just a little over-thinking in my opinion.  You must already have that established "hunter" mentality, not flip the switch come playoffs.  Yes, I do love how they develop their players during blowouts, but the play-calling becomes very vanilla at that time.

20 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Sho

JMT has only three 4A teams ahead of Howard right now, so there must be hope.....

Day,

Yes, they are on track to get to the State's Final Four.  But to be competitive against the big dawgs that have that BIG bite?  Right now I am not sure.  Just my humble opinion.  I have no issues coming on here and eating crow if I am wrong.  But right now I see them getting to the Final Four and losing big in the semi-finals.

Power Rankings

Howard-Proven class of the league. Wish they would play River Hill

River Hill- Good team. Disciplined and well coached. Again I wish they were playing Howard.

Long Reach- 2nd tier team. Lost to the top 2 teams. They have enough athletes to win their 1st playoff game.

Atholton- Teams keep lining up and not scoring. The Atholton D is doing a great job. They still have to play the best offense in the league in Howard later. That will be a great test

Glenelg- Tough lost to Glenelg. D was ok but not good enough, and the O is struggling without Mr. Owens

Marriotts Ridge- Marriotts Ridge has won some close games. Solid team

Oakland Mills- Small team. Has some speed. Needs to play better D.

Reservoir- This season is a loss. Not a good team. Solid individuals, but not good as a whole.

Wilde Lake- Very similar to Reservoir. Good athletes, not a good team

Mt Hebron- That Rezzi win seams like ages ago.

Hammond- Has tools. Still building towards the future. 

8 hours ago, GDEF said:

Power Rankings

Howard-Proven class of the league. Wish they would play River Hill

River Hill- Good team. Disciplined and well coached. Again I wish they were playing Howard.

Long Reach- 2nd tier team. Lost to the top 2 teams. They have enough athletes to win their 1st playoff game.

Atholton- Teams keep lining up and not scoring. The Atholton D is doing a great job. They still have to play the best offense in the league in Howard later. That will be a great test

Glenelg- Tough lost to Glenelg. D was ok but not good enough, and the O is struggling without Mr. Owens

Marriotts Ridge- Marriotts Ridge has won some close games. Solid team

Oakland Mills- Small team. Has some speed. Needs to play better D.

Reservoir- This season is a loss. Not a good team. Solid individuals, but not good as a whole.

Wilde Lake- Very similar to Reservoir. Good athletes, not a good team

Mt Hebron- That Rezzi win seams like ages ago.

Hammond- Has tools. Still building towards the future. 

I believe your rankings are pretty solid.

Long Reach at Marriotts Ridge
 I think Long Reach breaks out of their losing streak and uses their speed to outrun the Mustangs. Marriotts Ridge will be a tough out though. I think this game is kinda close. Long Reach by 1 TD

Reservoir at Oakland Mills
 Both teams have good athletes. Rezzi has a size advantage. I think with the colder damper night throwing the ball will be a little tougher than usual. Oakland Mills cannot really do anything else other than throw the ball. By default I think Rezzi can win because they are a little more suited for the conditions tonight. Reservoir by 1 TD

Car. Acad. at Howard
 We do not know much about Carvel Academy other than they took one on the chin earlier in the year from Edmondson. I do know Howard is good though. Howard by 4 TD

Atholton at Mt. Hebron
 Atholton is rolling and their defense is playing great right now. Hebron will be happy of they get a 1st down in this game. Atholton can use this game to work out some kinks on offense. They will need too. Atholton by 3 TD

Glenelg at Wilde Lake
 I have lost faith in Wilde Lake. They are a team that is really struggling in all aspects. Their homecoming game may wake them up though. Glenelg is still a solid team and they will need to play better than they did last week against Atholton. This is a toss up to me, but I will go with Big Red. Glenelg by 1 TD

River Hill at Hammond
 Hammond loves scheduling River Hill for their homecoming. This will not be a fun game for the alumni to watch. River Hill will slowly squeeze the life out Hammond with their wing'd T attack. I think this game will only be close at the kickoff. River Hill by 5 TD